Author Topic: Step Right Up and See Little Egypt ........  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Step Right Up and See Little Egypt ........
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »

YES SIREE BOB.  There it it.  The Shotgun our DREAMS.  On that "other" forum's Classifieds ......

A GEN U WINE Hammer Double   "EIGHT BORE"    YEP!!  You read it right .... an honest to goodness 8 Gage Hammer Double.

Not only that ...... It's PRICED TO SELL !!!!

Step Right Up Folks and See Little Egypt do the Famous Dance ....... Ah, best bring yer Broker though.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Step Right Up and See Little Egypt ........
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:10 AM »
YES SIREE BOB.  There it it.  The Shotgun our DREAMS.  On that "other" forum's Classifieds ......

A GEN U WINE Hammer Double   "EIGHT BORE"    YEP!!  You read it right .... an honest to goodness 8 Gage Hammer Double.

Not only that ...... It's PRICED TO SELL !!!!

Step Right Up Folks and See Little Egypt do the Famous Dance ....... Ah, best bring yer Broker though.

Ah My Good Coffin -

I saw that one right away, drooling over the underlever, the massive artillery barrels, etc etc

I showed it to Mrs Marvel as the object of her dreams!

She decided she'll hold out for a 4 Bore.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Ever heard of "Baker of the Nile"? here is a description of his first bespoke gun;  

"By the time he reached eighteen, the family decided that Baker should travel to Germany to complete his education. He was already something of a prodigy when it came to weapons, ballistics, and load sizes, having learned through hunting and shooting in the New Forest close to Gloucester. He already had designed a rifle specifically for his person use. George Gibbs, a noted Bristol gunsmith, crafted the gun, a massive muzzleloader with two rifling grooves capable of carrying a belted ball of three ounces and an even heavier conical ball. Revolutionary in its concept the gun’s massive charge of sixteen drams of powder gave it so much recoil that it was considered “preposterous in the professional opinions of the trade.” However, broad-shouldered Sam was up to the task, and in the future he would use the muzzleloader and similarly designed guns to telling effect on elephants, buffalo, and other large game.  In his later expressed view “this weapon was in advance of the age, as it foreshadowed the modern Express, and the principle was thoroughly established to my own satisfaction, that a sporting rifle to be effective at long range must burn a heavy charge of powder, but the weight of the weapon must be in due proportion to the strain of the explosion.”

http://sportingclassicsdaily.presspublisher.org/issue/2015-1/article/baker-of-the-nile

Addendum; So, it's a rifle, not a shottie. :(    Read the article. It includes stats of Baker's bird shooting feats, and, of course, his bagging a stag with a knife!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:51:00 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »

I find myself in complete agreement with "Baker of the Nile."  It's a fairly simple concept.  For large game, a large, heavy projectile is just the ticket.  Similarly, dangerous game should also be approached with large, heavy projectiles.  Following that logic, I have also determined not so large nor so dangerous game should be approached with large heavy projectiles as well.  It is also a simple concept.  There is no such thing as ....... Overkill.

Considering Shotguns however, there is principal of Sufficiency.  Most flighted wing'd beasties can well be subdued for the table with a well found 20 Bore.  Sufficiency.  However, in this endeavor, I also apply my previous criteria.  If a 20 Bore is ..... sufficient ..... then a 12 will usually insure fowl on the menu. 

That 8 Bore, is also held in due respect for absolute sufficiency.  Quite sufficient.  Should I be seeking such game as say ...... Pterodactyl.  Or even perhaps Velociraptor.  Again ... Sufficiency.  After all, fair hit with an 8 Bore, the odd peasant .. er .. Pheasant would most be reduced to a cloud of .... FEATHERS.  Feet and Feathers.  Nah.  I'll pass.  Been quite a while since they issued a stamp for Pterodactyl.  If however, Pterodactyl are removed from the endangered/extinct list, I should revisit this offering. (cough ... choke)   

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
But Everet has an eight bore!

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
When I was in my 20s I had the opportunity to fire a 4 bore elephant gun that was in the collection of my friend's father. I am now 70 years of age and my shoulder still hurts.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
When I was in my 20s I had the opportunity to fire a 4 bore elephant gun that was in the collection of my friend's father. I am now 70 years of age and my shoulder still hurts.

Now THAT is funny!
tell me, does your son or daughter's shoulder ever hurt inexplicably?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
"Sins " of the fathers?
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
It's interesting how the indiscretions of our youth come back to haunt us. He told me to get the d*mn thing hard against my shoulder.. I didn't and it punched me like John L Sullivan. i am not kidding.. I did some damage to myself and when the weather turns bad I still feel it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com