Author Topic: Sunday Holster  (Read 6337 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Sunday Holster
« on: August 20, 2020, 06:22:15 AM »
Anyone making a copy of the Sunday holster or Brill holster as used by the Texas Rangers?

Looking to get one.

Thank you.

Kevin
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Sunday Holster
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
I wasn't familiar with the Brill holsters. They're pretty neat. If you get one, please share a photo of it here.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
I have never heard anything about them till now so I went looking and google popped up several makers doing so. Not sure which is the most historically correct though.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:07:57 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »
Here's a photo of a genuine Brill I downloaded and posted for reference here. Although you don't see a lot of it, there is a full skirt behind the pouch.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 03:38:36 PM »
A couple more photos to give a clearer picture of the construction. The trigger guard looks to be exposed when the pistol is in it. The last two pics look like a modern made one.

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »
...A couple more photos to give a clearer picture of the construction. The trigger guard looks to be exposed when the pistol is in it. The last two pics look like a modern made one....

Yes, the triggerguards were left exposed. They were made from a thinner piece of leather and laminated with a half lining that protected the wearer’s clothes.

Brill was a saddler originally but got out of it and became a retailer. He employed many leathersmiths and the stitching on the back of the holster can give the experts an idea of who made the holster and when.

Retention is solely by the welt and when properly made they are like a vault. These are not one size fits all gunbuckets. Each holster is crafted to a specific pistol or revolver.

The toe is sewn to the skirt in such a way as to draw the handle of the piece closer to the body making it a good concealer. In many ways the Sunday holster could be considered one of the first concealed holsters.

The story goes that when the Texas Rangers were being used more and more in the big cities, they were told to loose the gunbelts and wear there handguns more hidden so as not to disturb the gentry.  One of the Captains came up with the idea for a holster to be worn on the recently introduced trouser belts. It no longer needed to be a thick heavy holster but the lamination and the welt construction made them lightweight, rigid and strong.

I want another one for one of my revolvers but finding originals and in usable condition isn not easy. So, I am hoping to find someone who can make a very good copy.

Here are some I own. They are close but lacking some of the finer points.

This holster is holding an I frame.

Kevin

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
Okay, try to post the photo this time.

Kevin

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 06:33:49 AM »
Here is a group shot. Left fits the I frame, middle the N frame and right fits the 1911. All are visually correct but lack some of the finer points.

Kevin

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:05:57 AM »
I figured that wedge of leather between the toe and the skirt was to cant the grip close to the wearer's body. I like the design.

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 05:32:23 AM »
If anyone here has made a copy, or can make a copy, get in touch with me. I need another one.

Thank you.

Kevin

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
OK, pros. Start sending some PMs to the man. I know at least one of you will be able to help him out here.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 03:37:45 AM »
These are beautiful! RRides high, a forward cant, rather like the later FBI rig...

I figured that wedge of leather between the toe and the skirt was to cant the grip close to the wearer's body. I like the design.

Ah, that is the secret! I have been unable to keep my modernisch holster from slanting the grip outwards and printing badly!

thanks!
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »
Still looking for someone to make a copy of the Sunday Scabbard.

ANYONE???

Kevin

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 10:07:45 PM »
Just the one attempt for my 1911 Officer model.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »
Strawhat, the best-functioning copy I know of is the Ranger from Barranti's Leather https://barrantileather.com/shop/ols/products/ranger/v/RNG-4-n  Cost--floral carved--is about $300.    They changed the design just a bit, it rides higher on the belt than the original.  I'm convinced I'm going to try one, still deciding gun to order one for first.  More below.

The half-liner serves to tip the gun a bit, but mostly aids retention.  That strap around the front locks the holster on the belt--it is sewn in place to establish the width of the belt the holster rides on--and holds the gun snugly in place, close to the body. 

The wedge is formed by a multi-layer welt.   It tips the position of the gun a bit, and the triggerguard rests on it like a "shelf", but the primary purpose is to lock the gun in place in the holster.  The frame is held snugly between the vertical part of the wedge and the fold of the holster.  (I hope that makes sense, I'm not used to describing holster parts!)

The result is a close-riding holster with good retention, without a thong or strap.  I got thrown a couple times while wearing one; when I stood up my pistol was still in the holster.  (Had a pinecone in the triggerguard one time, but the pistol was still in the holster!)  A strap or thong does help secure the pistol, but it isn't as necessary as on some of the looser "gunbuckets". 

Kind of an interesting history on these.  I've heard the design originated with a holster made by the King Ranch saddle shop.  Brill, or someone in the Austin area (and the originals all seem to come from around Austin) studied the King Ranch holster, lightened it up by trimming the skirt closer to match the outline of the holster, made a few other tweaks, and there it was. 

I've owned and used several, from Brill and from other Austin-area makers.  On all, the trigger is exposed, even the automatics.  A 1911 will fit in a holster made for a 5" (IIRC) N frame, but the trigger will be covered. 

In my opinion, they are the ultimate in the evolution of the Western holster.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 12:02:01 AM »
I have to agree with you on this. It's a beautiful design with little room for functional improvement.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 12:33:13 AM »
Anyone who likes the Brill holsters needs the book Holstory. It’s a wonderful book on turn of the century holsters.

Will Ghormley recently released a. We pattern pack on Brill style holsters.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
El Paso Saddlery's "1930 Austin" holster seems to be pretty close to, or at least in the spirit of, the holster being discussed here.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1930-austin-holster/

Dave

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »
Strawhat, the best-functioning copy I know of is the Ranger from Barranti's Leather https://barrantileather.com/shop/ols/products/ranger/v/RNG-4-n  Cost--floral carved--is about $300.    They changed the design just a bit, it rides higher on the belt than the original.  I'm convinced I'm going to try one, still deciding gun to order one for first.  More below.

The half-liner serves to tip the gun a bit, but mostly aids retention.  That strap around the front locks the holster on the belt--it is sewn in place to establish the width of the belt the holster rides on--and holds the gun snugly in place, close to the body. 

The wedge is formed by a multi-layer welt.   It tips the position of the gun a bit, and the triggerguard rests on it like a "shelf", but the primary purpose is to lock the gun in place in the holster.  The frame is held snugly between the vertical part of the wedge and the fold of the holster.  (I hope that makes sense, I'm not used to describing holster parts!)

The result is a close-riding holster with good retention, without a thong or strap.  I got thrown a couple times while wearing one; when I stood up my pistol was still in the holster.  (Had a pinecone in the triggerguard one time, but the pistol was still in the holster!)  A strap or thong does help secure the pistol, but it isn't as necessary as on some of the looser "gunbuckets". 

Kind of an interesting history on these.  I've heard the design originated with a holster made by the King Ranch saddle shop.  Brill, or someone in the Austin area (and the originals all seem to come from around Austin) studied the King Ranch holster, lightened it up by trimming the skirt closer to match the outline of the holster, made a few other tweaks, and there it was. 

I've owned and used several, from Brill and from other Austin-area makers.  On all, the trigger is exposed, even the automatics.  A 1911 will fit in a holster made for a 5" (IIRC) N frame, but the trigger will be covered. 

Odd, I am trying to post images but keep getting a file to big notice?

Kevin

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 11:55:22 PM »
That means your image needs to be reduced in size to upload it. If you don't want to reduce the size, then you need to have images saved somewhere like Imgur where you can post a link to them.

The first two links here will give you some direction on posting photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com