Author Topic: Serious question.  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serious question.
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:50:07 AM »

Can anyone give me an example from scripture to indicate that Jesus was in any way incompetent in anything he did?

(After I get some responses, I'll explain.  I promise.)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Serious question.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 04:00:23 AM »
Forty ,are you looking for opinons or facts(verusus)?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 06:18:26 AM »
I don't think he's looking for opinions as they are pretty prolific.  ::)   I think he wants verses.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:01:47 PM »

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:16:23 AM »
The "top of my head" reply is: No, nor would I expect to see such in scripture. Scripture is not a biography, it is an account of "the Son of God." I would be shocked to find anything negative written in scripture about Jesus.

On further reflection, my answer is still no, but without getting it out, I'd also have to say that I cannot recall any scripture noting that he was competent in any of the common skills or even in carpentry. I can't recall those kinds of things being mentioned at all. Could he weild a hammer, saw a log, cook a meal, mend some clothing... ? I don't know.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:18:13 AM »
Some might say he went a little off the wall with the episode with the moneylenders in the temple.  Other than that I can’t think of anything either.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:21:10 AM »
First off, I'll give definitions of the word provided by dictionary.com.
in·com·pe·tent   
adj.
   1. Not qualified in legal terms: a defendant who was incompetent to stand trial.
   2. Inadequate for or unsuited to a particular purpose or application.
   3. Devoid of those qualities requisite for effective conduct or action.
Based on these definitions, I cannot think of any passages that show incompetence on his part. But, some of the religious leaders thought that he was incompetent in his teachings.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 06:22:34 PM »
Okay!

I have never thought Jesus to have been incompetent. 

I believe if He were alive today, He would be at least moderately competent in any of the ways that He would find to be be necessary in everyday life.

He would be able to read and write well, speak fluently (maybe in several languages), operate a motor vehicle and a computer, make necessary purchases, prepare his own meals, secure lodging and rtransportation, read a map, understand the fundamentals of banking and personal finance, use a phone, etc.

He may not be called upon to use these skills, having the disciples to carry out these tasks, But He would most asuredly undersatnd them.

Does anyone disagree with this?

I'm not trying to start a brouhaha, just getting around to making a point. (Which will likely p--- off a great number of people when I do.).
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »
Merely mentioning that name is likely to tick some folks off.  Some folks are just on edge and always looking for some reason to shout.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:54:56 PM »
Merely mentioning that name is likely to tick some folks off. Some folks are just on edge and always looking for some reason to shout.

YEP
Mathew 5.9

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:43:59 PM »
No disagreement here. If you left out the being fluent in several languages, you just described just about anyone with an IQ of about 80.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »
I don't think that he'd intentionally attempt to anger anyone.  I believe he just has an idea or theory that he would like to discuss with open-minded folks that are comfortable in their own beliefs and who don't discount anyone else for theirs.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »
< Tapping her toes impatiently >

Well?

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 05:38:36 PM »
Okay, where the hell did my eight paragraph reply go?

Now I'll have to retype the whole thing.  I ain't got the pateince to do this right now.

I really hate computers.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 06:07:51 PM »
I sure can't think of anything written that addresses the subject of competency.  In one or perhaps more of the four Gospels, the fact of His taking up his father's (Joseph's) trade (carpentry) is mentioned; indeed, He has been referred to as an "itinerant carpenter", and this would imply that he was at least capable of meeting his own daily needs.

What'cha got smokin' up yer brain, Forty?
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »
Awright, here we go.  I apologize in advance if I tromp on any toes, but I won't retract a single word.

This has been building for a long time now, but came to a head when I was coming back from taking Shawna to the hospital a couple of nights ago.

Why is it that the people who put on the most external signs of their so-called Cristianity are invariably those least prepared to deal with daily life, and sometimes can't deal with reality?

The example that set me off is a car literally covered with hand-painted gospel qoutes and bumper stickers to the point that the driver cannot possibly see out the back or rear side windows.  The wreck was weaving across three lanes of west bound I-10 traffic at about 25 mph, lights off well after sundown, totally oblivious to anyone else in spite of all the horns and flashing lights.  I finally got a shot, after two or three miles, to go around and this dummy was reading the Bible, propped on the steering wheel in front of him.  The guy was in his mid to late thirties, well dressed, clean and TOTALLY INCOMPETENT TO OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE (or anything with moving parts, sharp points or edges, flammable, heavy, etc.

I'm not putting down anyone's religious beliefs...I'm actually quite religiuos myself...but I do not understand this behavior.  God and His son know how religious someone is and not many other people care, so who are they putting on this stupid display for?

So many people profess Christianity and are not competent to be out without a keeper.  I was behind a man at the bank...middle aged college professor type...wearing a WWJD pin in his lapel.  He figured and refigured his deposit again and again.  The teller asked him to step out of line, pointed out counters for him to use, and he stayed right where he was.

Total incompetence, not to mention a lack of consideration fro anyone else.

I could go on for hours, but I figure I have no friends left in North America now, so I should quit before the locals start up the mountain with torches and pitchforks.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »
Dontchu worry about me big brother!  You've still got a friend in me. 

You have touched on some very valid points, but I have given up even worrying about it.  These folks will never see the error of their ways.  They are on the side of the God, don't you see?

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 07:47:24 PM »
I would say there are morons and incompetants in every walk of life and every religion. You just happened to be exposed to two flagrant examples of ID Ten Ts in Christendom, so now your flags are up and you are alert for more such examples.

As humans, we want those who share in our faith to have the same attributes of the person they follow, or at least to be more like us, but that isn't always the case.  

The same applies to any commonality we share with other people. Since we are involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, we'd like to think our "pards" are all fine, upstanding citizens, following the "Cowboy Way." But that isn't the case, either. Firearms were stolen at End of Trail. A person hides the faults of his firearms when he trades them. The list goes on.

Regardless a person's faith, religion, or hobby, he will be human, with all the faults and frailties of being human brings. Such is our nature.

Sounds glum, eh?

But for everyone of those who disappoint, perhaps for every ten of those, there is a person out there who does his best to be kind, caring, and competent. My advice is to cherish him.

Everyone I’ve ever known has wished me well
Anyway that’s how it seems, it’s hard to tell
Maybe people only ask you how you’re doing
’cause that’s easier than letting on how little they could care
But when you know that you’ve got a real friend somewhere
Suddenly all the others are so much easier to bear

Jackson Browne, The Late Show

With a smile,

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 03:58:11 AM »
Forty...  in reference to the car on the freeway......some people just need more  insurance.... from George Carlin, the statue of Jesus on his dash is turned around so he (Jesus) can help watch where he was going...not a direct quote just something I remembered he said years ago. 
Mathew 5.9

Offline Winston Dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
 Uncle Forty,
Are you sure it was a bible?

Wd

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 08:04:59 PM »
Pretty sure, Winston.  The guy had the dome lights on (but not his headlights) and it was a big black book with gold edged pages.

I wasn't all that far away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com