Author Topic: Most efficient lube-size system?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Most efficient lube-size system?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2022, 08:16:16 PM »
I pan lube with my own mix of Crisco and bees wax, then size with a Lee sizing die.  Very cheap, the dies is less than $15. And you don’t have to remove the bullets, just keep feeding them in from the bottom and they pop out into the container on top.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2022, 10:07:27 AM »
+1 what Driftwood said. I have the Star Lubrisizer and the pneumatic cylinder to provide continuous and consistent pressure to the lube reservoir.  Nothing else comes close to the speed and simplicity.  I've also switched to the "tropical" blend of SPG, which is a little harder.

To fill the lube reservoir, I have a tiny heating pot my wife bought for me at Target - like a miniature crock pot that holds about a pint.  I put the SPG in there and melt it, then pour into the reservoir with a small ladle.  Works great.  I read an article a number of years ago that Dave Gullo (maker of SPG) used the method of melting SPG to fill lube reservoirs, and found it worked much better than cutting up chunks to drop in.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
+1 what Driftwood said. I have the Star Lubrisizer and the pneumatic cylinder to provide continuous and consistent pressure to the lube reservoir.  Nothing else comes close to the speed and simplicity.  I've also switched to the "tropical" blend of SPG, which is a little harder.

To fill the lube reservoir, I have a tiny heating pot my wife bought for me at Target - like a miniature crock pot that holds about a pint.  I put the SPG in there and melt it, then pour into the reservoir with a small ladle.  Works great.  I read an article a number of years ago that Dave Gullo (maker of SPG) used the method of melting SPG to fill lube reservoirs, and found it worked much better than cutting up chunks to drop in.
I'm wondering if dropping in the chunks and then hitting it with a hair dryer would work, also? 

I've only used my old leaky Lyman 45 system.  But the OP asked, what is the "most efficient".  I decided that meant to buy my BP bullets already lubed (I don't cast), so that is what I'm doing now and haven't needed to lube any bullets in a couple years.  :)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:15:22 PM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »
I'm wondering if dropping in the chunks and then hitting it with a hair dryer would work, also? 

I've only used my old leaky Lyman 45 system.  But the OP asked, what is the "most efficient".  I decided that meant to buy my BP bullets already lubed (I don't cast), so that is what I'm doing now and haven't needed to lube any bullets in a couple years.  :)

I get along fairly well with just dropping chunks into my RCBS lubri-sizer. It can be a bit of a challenge getting everything threaded back together again, but it works.

I think I saw recently that the SPG is now available in tubes?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com