Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1892

magazine tube keeps inching out

(1/3) > >>

44 centerfire:
I have searched here but couldn't find discussion on it........tube screw is tearing up the barrel and pixxing me off.

The Rossi 20 inch....early Interarms model 65 SRC.......no mention of a 92 anywhere. It has no saddle ring. I bought it new, still have origional box, with a barrel band front sight. I had gun apart a drilled screw hole a little deeper, but it won't hold. No, I didn't drill too deep.....lol ;D

I put steves gunzz kit in it....44 mag. and improved the action and gate tension.

I read somewhere of doing something inside the forearm to stop movement or welding the cartridge tube to the receiver. Like I said I am not happy with the tube movement. Would like to read info first before I try ether....or solution.  I don't know if my little 110 mig welder would be hot enough or too hot. 

Looking for direction here....I will not send it off anywhere, so it looks like I'm elected to butcher it up myself....just remembered Cast Boolits forum.....will also try that place for some info....thanks :)

44centerfire

greyhawk:

--- Quote from: 44 centerfire on October 08, 2020, 11:03:52 PM ---I have searched here but couldn't find discussion on it........tube screw is tearing up the barrel and pixxing me off.

The Rossi 20 inch....early Interarms model 65 SRC.......no mention of a 92 anywhere. It has no saddle ring. I bought it new, still have origional box, with a barrel band front sight. I had gun apart a drilled screw hole a little deeper, but it won't hold. No, I didn't drill too deep.....lol ;D

I put steves gunzz kit in it....44 mag. and improved the action and gate tension.

I read somewhere of doing something inside the forearm to stop movement or welding the cartridge tube to the receiver. Like I said I am not happy with the tube movement. Would like to read info first before I try ether....or solution.  I don't know if my little 110 mig welder would be hot enough or too hot. 

Looking for direction here....I will not send it off anywhere, so it looks like I'm elected to butcher it up myself....just remembered Cast Boolits forum.....will also try that place for some info....thanks :)

44centerfire

--- End quote ---

I have a good fix for the rifles with the forend cap ....
 carbines not so easy -- they have three points
1) screw through the barrel band on the forend wood needs to be a neat engagement in the slot through top of magazine tube and underside of barrel - you may be able to enlarge that screw and its groove slightly

2) screw through the front barrel band --- same as the rear one needs to be neat fit into the groove and again may be able to enlarge it slightly - this band needs to pull up tight on the magazine tube when the screw is turned home if it dont a piece of steel shim a couple thou thick might help.

3) screw through the end cap into the underside of barrel - I believe I might have seen the same info you did - think the guy cut a dovetail where you drilled then he filled the dovetail with a piece of hardened tool steel or similar that had a larger hole drilled into it then the plug screw was made maybe from a grade 8 machine screw that fitted neat into the hardened piece in the dovetail - you could probably go as large as quarter inch with that screw - I think the dovetail insert in the barrel is key to it (barrel steel is tough but fairly soft - easy enough to booger that drilled hole but a piece of good steel hardened - gona take a lot more impact) 

Material to make a new magazine tube is easy found - go in the haberdashery shop (spotlight store downunder) and buy a length of 16mm chinese curtain rod - its plastic coated - scrape/sand that off and its OD is exactemo right size (a little thin in the wall but it works ok - cost only a few bucks)

I would NOT weld anything - you need to be able to take this apart.                     

44 centerfire:
 Well, I have seen a picture of the magazine tube welded....but can't remember where...and also info of something done inside the forearm stock to anchor down the tube.

 Thought maybe posting here that someone would have the location of the info that I'm looking for. ???

 Haven't been to Cast Boolits forum yet....been busy......thanks

 44centerfire

greyhawk:

--- Quote from: 44 centerfire on October 14, 2020, 11:17:49 PM --- Well, I have seen a picture of the magazine tube welded....but can't remember where...and also info of something done inside the forearm stock to anchor down the tube.

 Thought maybe posting here that someone would have the location of the info that I'm looking for. ???

 Haven't been to Cast Boolits forum yet....been busy......thanks

 44centerfire

--- End quote ---
this is my fix for a rifle forearm its a collar brazed to the tube with a taper that engages the corresponding taper in the forend cap .....cant do it on a carbine with barrel band[/img]

greyhawk:

--- Quote from: greyhawk on October 14, 2020, 11:31:29 PM ---this is my fix for a rifle forearm its a collar brazed to the tube with a taper that engages the corresponding taper in the forend cap .....cant do it on a carbine with barrel band[/img]


--- End quote ---

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Powered by SMFPacks Ads Manager Mod
Powered by SMFPacks Likes Pro Mod
Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod