Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1892

Proper lead hardness for older original1892’s

(1/2) > >>

treebeard:
I have several original Winchester 1892’s and would like advice on the proper lead harness to use in shooting them without undue wear. Most of the commercial Bullet sellers advertise “hard Cast” bullets which seem to be about Brinell 18. My oldest 1892 dates from 1893 but most others are later early 1900’s to early 1920’’s.  What should be appropriate for these? Thanks for any help.

Dave T:
I wouldn't shoot anything harder than 1-16 alloy. Back when I owned both a 44 WCF 1873 and 1892 (both originals) I shot 1-20 bullets and had no problems at all.

YMMV,
Dave

treebeard:

--- Quote from: Dave T on July 26, 2020, 01:53:04 PM ---I wouldn't shoot anything harder than 1-16 alloy. Back when I owned both a 44 WCF 1873 and 1892 (both originals) I shot 1-20 bullets and had no problems at all.

YMMV,
Dave
[/quot

Thanks Dave--I looked up Lyman #2 and the nominal Brinell was 15. I wold like to find a bullet seller that casts that or even a little better. If anyone knows of a caster that uses lead in that range i would appreciate a recommendation.
--- End quote ---

Advertising:

treebeard:
Just found that Missouri Bullet Company cowboy bullets are cast at a Brinell 12--That should be easy on that old "92.

Tater Pickens:
Does anyone know the hardness of the bullets made by Springfield Slim? I use his bullets in my 1st generation 45 colt SAA and my original 92 Winchester carbine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version