Author Topic: Dried food?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Dried food?
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
Pards & Pardettes, All,
I have a lot of old cookbooks with 'dried' or 'cured' this or that in them, but am looking for some tried and true recipes and methods that us modern folks can use with microwaves, ovens, food driers, smokers, etc. I'm not looking for any recipe out of a recent cookbook or cooking show on FOOD NETWORK but instead some that you have tired or used for a long time and found successful and easy-peasy to do such as in a Dutch Oven or over a pit.
Hoping to see some interesting responses!
Best regards and good eats!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. Canning suggestions are welcome and tips on same!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dried food?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
You can use fresh instead of dried but have to cut back on the liquids. It's more experimentation than just swapping.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Not sure what you're looking for - how to dry or cure foods, or what to do with the dried or cured stuff.
My favorite dried food is meat. we generally call it "jerky" or "jerked meat" but I never jerk it, just dry it.  Many folks have bragged to me about how their marinade makes the best jerky, but I have a hard time soaking something in juice when the goal is to dry the juice out of it.  Instead, I start with some good lean red meat, cut it in pieces an inch or so thick, then pound it thin with my wooden tenderizin' hammer.  Then I sprinkle some table salt on it and grind plenty of black pepper on it and dry it.  I use a dehydrator that I bought at a garage sale, but I used to do it flat on an oven rack with the oven set as low as it'll go & the door propped open just a crack.  You can tell when its done because it'll be dry.  I like a lot of salt & pepper, but you'll have to figure out for yourself how much you want.

Later, I might take some of this dried meat and tear it in bite size pieces & throw em in the bottom of a dutch oven with some clean water & set it to simmer over some coals.  Check a piece from time to time till it starts to get tender then toss in some taters & carrots & onions & whatever else ya have on hand that ya think would be good in a stew.  Keep it at a good simmer till the vegies are tender & serve it with biscuits or put some dumpling on top.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:59 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
A big question pard, with long answers, be more specific on the ones you want to do, I bet I know someone who can steer you right.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.
 Del I know you have a ton of suggestions, but i was just hoping to stir up some 'new' readers interest and thoughts, didn't mean to mislead anyone by suggesting I was looking for anything specific, just Winter weather kicking in.
Best regards and good cooking!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.
 Del I know you have a ton of suggestions, but i was just hoping to stir up some 'new' readers interest and thoughts, didn't mean to mislead anyone by suggesting I was looking for anything specific, just Winter weather kicking in.
Best regards and good cooking!
'Ol Gabe

Well to maybe prime the pump, I moved this a while ago to The Pantry:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34099.0.html
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com