Author Topic: Is this wow looking revolver Italian or USA?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Is this wow looking revolver Italian or USA?
« on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
I think the serial number of this USFA indicates it is an Italian parts revolver. It is pretty but not certain $6000 worth of pretty especially if an Italian parts revolver.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/-45-colt-revolvers/usfa-saa-45-factory-silver-ivory-master-c-nib.cfm?gun_id=101220910

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Is this wow looking revolver Italian or USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 04:31:54 AM »
Hello Lou,

I don't see any Italian markings.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
The front sight looks like sights on Italian parts guns and so do the cylinder flutes. The serial number and box according to Yahoody's list of serial numbers indicates the revolver is an Italian parts revolver. I suspect the hammer is also an Italian part. Wish you could see the firing pin, but the hole in the back of the hammer I think indicates it may very well have the floating Italian firing pin. I don't think the photo of the ejector shroud cam slot is sufficient to tell if it is the short Italian slot or the longer USA slot.

My opinion is it is a USFA Italian parts revolver but I could be wrong. Maybe Yahoody will jump in and give us his thoughts.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:49 PM »

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
Too pipish looked for me.  ;D
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »
Buckaroo Lou,

I am responding based on the lengthy conversation we had back in '16 about what is and isn't a USFA USA firearm.

I agree with you on --- wrong sight shape; the ejector camming is short; and the flutes look long.  The loading gate arm looks long and slim like a Uberti, also. The only thing that I could add to your comments would be the SN that I had decided on, that would be the lowest, I would go too, for a Real USFA.  I set that at 22,4XX.  I interpreted Yahoody's SN table that 22,2XX and above is a rough starting point for full USA guns.  I take his listings of 22,18X and below as most likely Uberti's parts or mixes.

Therefore, I think I would call this a Uberti parts firearm.  And even if it were a USFA USA not worth $6000.

But it is a very nicely worked and finished handgun.

Black River Smith

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
I agree with the comments already posted. This gun certainly has some Uberti parts like the front sight (and that probably means the barrel too), the ejector, the cylinder, and the hammer (curvature is wrong). Something about the back strap contour just doesn't look right either.

Still a nice gun as USFA was putting together nice guns from even earlier Uberti parts. It sure isn't worth $6K. Heck, an all USA sourced USFA gun in this configuration wouldn't be worth that price.

My $.02 worth,
Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
Dave T,

I agree USFA made some nice revolvers using Italian parts and I would never refuse to purchase one if the price was reasonable. In fact I've had a couple I sold and have regretted it.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
The hole in the back of the hammer does not indicate a safety. Original Colt's also have this hole, I am pretty sure it's just an access hole for the firing pin.

The hammers with the hammer block safety will have a large verticle slot on the back of hammer in addition to the normal access hole.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »
...The hammers with the hammer block safety will have a large verticle slot on the back of hammer in addition to the normal access hole.

That particular hammer would be obvious, but did USFA ever use that hammer?  Speaking from ignorance here.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »
I thought USFA used hammers on early Italian parts revolvers that had the concave movable firing pin and not the cone shaped fixed firing pin. That was one of the sure ways of knowing if the revolver had imported parts. I am certain the two imported parts USFA revolver I use to have had that particular hammer and firing pin configuration. One of them was a USPtFA that even had Uberti name roll marked on the underside of the barrel and the prefix P in the serial number but the other had a 20XXX or 21XXX serial number with all the signs of imported parts to include the hammer with the concave movable firing pin.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
USFA did use the concave firing pin on earlier guns.  The GI description says it was "Master Engraved" which if my memory serves it was about a $2K Option.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com