Author Topic: Uberti 1860 Used pricing?  (Read 13096 times)

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1860 Used pricing?
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:52:21 PM »
I looked at a couple Henry made 1860 rifles and REALLY like them. However everything else I own is .45LC and I dont want to have to get another set of dies, brass, bullets etc for .44-40.

Soooo I have been looking for an uberti made 1860 in .45LC. I found one locally which is used but probably unfired. This one has no box etc. After all the fees, taxes, gas etc I would be at $1,200. It is also at a particular store I dont really want to spend my money at, but a deals a deal.

What ya'll think?

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti 1860 Used pricing?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
Sell all the 45s and get 44WCF ;D shoot BP and be happy :D
Buffalochip

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
Sell all the 45s and get 44WCF ;D shoot BP and be happy :D

I was tempted to do exactly that until I saw what old model rugers in .44-40 are selling for....nope

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:49 AM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
An 1860 Henry in 44-40 will shoot cleaner and more accurately than one in 45LC if you are shooting Black Powder.  If you are shooting smokeless it really doesn't matter except for the better accuracy of the 44-40.  If you are set on 45 I may be able to get you a new one for about 1200+ shipping.  Let me know if you are interested. t.schultz5@roadrunner.com
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
Basically, I don't know where your at.  Don't know how far you have to drive,  Sounds like the Fee's??  Taxes??  and Gas??  are driving the total outlay up.  Perhaps, if we subtract the actual cost for your Gas, Taxes, Fee's and travel time, the actual price of the rifle might not seem out of line at all.

As far as the function and fun factor go, 45 and 44 rifles are kind of like apples and apples.  One's green, one's red.  A 45 anything will
give more blow-by than a 44-40.  However, you can mitigate most of the blow-by, simply start with new Starline 44-40 brass (thinner case mouth material) and fire form it to 45 Colt (easy peasy) and the 45 will shoot pretty clean.

The "Keep it Simple" principle also applies.  If the rest of your toys are 45s.  Make your new toy a 45.  If you really want a Henry, whom you get it from shouldn't matter much.  Bite the bullet, buy the Rifle, have FUN!!

Coffinmaker

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »
Basically, I don't know where your at.  Don't know how far you have to drive,  Sounds like the Fee's??  Taxes??  and Gas??  are driving the total outlay up.  Perhaps, if we subtract the actual cost for your Gas, Taxes, Fee's and travel time, the actual price of the rifle might not seem out of line at all.

As far as the function and fun factor go, 45 and 44 rifles are kind of like apples and apples.  One's green, one's red.  A 45 anything will
give more blow-by than a 44-40.  However, you can mitigate most of the blow-by, simply start with new Starline 44-40 brass (thinner case mouth material) and fire form it to 45 Colt (easy peasy) and the 45 will shoot pretty clean.

The "Keep it Simple" principle also applies.  If the rest of your toys are 45s.  Make your new toy a 45.  If you really want a Henry, whom you get it from shouldn't matter much.  Bite the bullet, buy the Rifle, have FUN!!

Coffinmaker

unfortunately for me I live in Crook County IL. There is a $25 tax per firearm, on top of the 10.25% sales tax and then tack on $5 for the NICS check. There is also a one day waiting period which requires me to have to drive 150 miles back and forth twice etc.
It is so pathetic I know guys who buy high end guns that have them shipped over the border to IN, buy them, and have them sent to their local FFL just to get around all the taxes and fees since now the gun is being purchased out of state...crazy.

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »

Coffinmaker

do you use normal .45LC dies with the .44-40 brass? any premature wear on the brass because of this? I have some 45LC brass that has been lightly loaded so many times I cannot count and barely stretched.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
unfortunately for me I live in Crook County IL. There is a $25 tax per firearm, on top of the 10.25% sales tax and then tack on $5 for the NICS check. There is also a one day waiting period which requires me to have to drive 150 miles back and forth twice etc.
It is so pathetic I know guys who buy high end guns that have them shipped over the border to IN, buy them, and have them sent to their local FFL just to get around all the taxes and fees since now the gun is being purchased out of state...crazy.
So why not buy one on line out of state and have it shipped to an FFL near you?  This way you only pay the shipping and FFL fee and don't have to drive all that distance.  You can go in Gunbroker.com and find an FFL near you to do the paper work.  I think I can get you one in 45 if you are interested and I am out of state.
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
So why not buy one on line out of state and have it shipped to an FFL near you?  This way you only pay the shipping and FFL fee and don't have to drive all that distance.  You can go in Gunbroker.com and find an FFL near you to do the paper work.  I think I can get you one in 45 if you are interested and I am out of state.

that was plan B but not knowing what actual new prices are, looking at Taylor & Co gives me sticker shock

I kinda like the "in the white" version but cant seem to find any sort of history or searching around the net about it comes up with no results.

Offline chrispy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
I paid right around $1200 new for my Henry.  Send the shop some pricing for new in the box guns and ask if they'll come down in price.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
Coffin maker is a wise sage ...

Being you are in Obamaland, Ill. in Bendover (Crook ) County ...you pays your stipends  :(

Get your Henry
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »
 I've seen them sell used in the high hundreds and was sorely tempted to buy one. Id suggest you keep your eye on Gunbroker, Armslist, Buds Gun Shop, Kyguncon etc. I Wound up getting a '66 instead.

I too really wanted a 45 Colt because I ready have dies, moulds, and brass. But the '66 was is a 44-40 and was too cheap to pass up. Boy am I glad I did. Loving the 44-40.

Good luck in your quest!

CHT

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
Remember that the new prices you see on distributors' websites are msrp.  On a Henry, the dealer price may at least $300 less than that.  Still pricey, yep.  I have often seen used for under $1000, but you need to be patient and then jump on it.  Keep in mind that the lowest price would be for a standard finish civilian model.  Civil War models (U.S. markings and sling swivels), charcoal blue or antique finish, will add cost.  Steel frame models actually cost no more than civilian models (well, okay, $3 more  :) ), but may cost more used simply because there aren't as many of them around.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
Because of the disdain many have today for the 44-40 you will almost always find a cheaper price for a used one in that chambering. ;)

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
I have never heard of anyone having disdain for an 1860 Henry in 44-40, quite the opposite.  All the ones I have ever owned were great shooters with either Smokeless or Black powders.
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »
I have never heard of anyone having disdain for an 1860 Henry in 44-40, quite the opposite.  All the ones I have ever owned were great shooters with either Smokeless or Black powders.

I think he means for the cartridge in general.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
It is a great cartridge, yes it is not a magnum ??? But these guns we are intereted in are not made for magnums.
All of mine shoot very well including my old Winchester 1873.
I shoot a 92 replica with nitro with good loads if i ned too.
 ??? ???
Buffalochip

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
At the local gun shows used ones go for around $850.00.  I'm in Phoenix and we have at least one large gun show per month so finding one is usually not to difficult.  In other areas of the country they may be harder to find.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:34 PM »

Far fewer lever actions today are chambered in 44-40 than .45 Colt & .38 Spcl. I'd imagine Abilene would confirm this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com