CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

The ol' switcheroo!

(1/2) > >>

Virgil Lantey:
I recently started lusting over the Standard Manufacturing single action revolver and I was concocting every possible way to afford the $2000 price tag, which included selling some Italians. Oh the woes of living on a retirement income!
Never having put my grubby little hands on one, I started reading everything I could and watching videos about them. By ALL accounts, they are superior to most Colts and even better than the best USFAs. It was one review in particular that offered a detailed comparison of Colt, USFA, Uberti and Standard Manufacturing that saved me two grand in hard earned cash. With the exception of a few milling marks (on parts that can't be seen) and a couple inconsequential cast parts, the Uberti held its own against that exquisite revolver, so I had to ask myself if it was worth it. For now, the answer is no. However, if I ever come into a load of extra cash, and their still in business,  I'll snap up a Standard Manufacturing in a heartbeat! Sometimes it's nice to have a Rolex even when a Timex keeps better time, but I ain't there yet! My greatest fear is that I'd drop 2k and my Uberti would outshoot it! I don't believe in safe queens or buying a gun purely for investment so my Cimarrons will just keep plugging away!

Coffinmaker:

A wise choice Padawan.  So sayeth Zarathustra!!

Play Safe Out There

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Hplummer on April 12, 2022, 09:16:37 PM ---By ALL accounts, they are superior to most Colts and even better than the best USFAs.
--- End quote ---

I must strongly disagree, Sir.  A late production USFA single action, made from all US sourced parts, then assembled and finished to a standard that meets or exceeds the 1st Generation Colt, is as good or better than the Standard Mfg revolvers.  This is particularly true of USFA's "Pre-War Models" and the Henry Nettleton Cavalry guns.  And that's not just my opinion.  There are a number of people on the USFA forum here that would agree with me.

I used to have a small collection of six 1st Gen Colt SAAs.  The USFAs I now own are equal or even superior to those revolvers in every way but name and history.  I admit the prices being asked for the higher grade and more rare USFA revolvers has gotten stupid high, but that doesn't change the quality of the firearms.  It does mean I will probably never buy another one but I am indeed grateful for the ones I have.

YMMV,
Dave

Advertising:

Virgil Lantey:
You may be right, Dave. In retrospect, I probably should have said as good as, not better. I can only go by what I've read or watched on the internet and those reviewers may be all wet or biased. I bought a USFA back in 2001 and even though it had some Uberti parts it was one of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen and I deeply regret ever selling it. The Standard Manufacturing is also a beauty. The bottom line, at least for me, is that they are all in a price range that makes it difficult to justify over a Uberti.

chucksolo1:
I have an Uberti Hartford Model 3" birds head in .45 Colt and I can honestly say it is as good if not better than the Colts I have owned. I have handled and fired a Standard Manufacturing SAA that belongs to a friend. It is a nice gun and very well made, but my Uberti functions just fine and is as accurate as his gun. I'll stick with my Italian repros.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version