Author Topic: Dead Mule, anyone?  (Read 6514 times)

Offline Knarley Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Dead Mule, anyone?
« on: February 15, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
Any one hav any experience with a dead mule for recoil? If'n they are any good my sweetie would like one ::), well I guess I wouls to ;)
Regards, Knarley
Not on our watch

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dead Mule, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »
I have the mercury type in both my coach guns and I would ay they really help.  I bought mine at Brownells.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:58:26 AM »
If that doesn't work for ya, Knarley Bob, I got one of the Magnum shields from Past and it works great!  I call it my Wussy Pad, (well - words to that effect  ;) ) but it's really convenient.  It fits under my clothes.  I put on my undershirt, then the pad - then everything else.

I got mine for prone shooting.  I have NO issues with my 45-70 offhand, sitting, or kneeling and prone doesn't hurt, either ... until about the 5th shot.  THEN it starts to get uncomfortable.  When my pard GW let me shoot his (memory in question, here) 45-100, I shot it prone and it really put a crimp on my shoulder - but that was BEFORE I got the pad.  I got mine from Midway for $30-$35 if I remember right.  Maybe $40.

I'm not normally recoil sensitive, but I found that I sure am on the top side of my shoulder  ... well, not exactly the top, but up there on the top quarter.  You know what I mean, I'm sure.
 ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:34:49 PM »

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Amen Steel Horse!  I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, and can get off a number of shots with a 12 gauge slug gun - enough to ascertain the potential of the load, and off a bench.  Of course after ten shots or so, the headache becomes the real problem, and seriously, this is a foolish thing to do to yourself.  It hurts because you are banging your brain around, from what I understand.  The Past Recoil shield is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.  It enables you to survive recoil with alot less pain, and in many guns makes shooting fun instead of a challenge.  Never tried the dead mule/mercury suppressor, but if I was doing a ton of shooting, you better believe I'd help my health out in any way possible.  Seen any of the later interviews with Mohammed Ali?  There you go.
Jamie

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
 ;) ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »
I have a pad on my 50/90 and, the strap on type from buffalo arms. I also have the shoulder pad, I would say
it is more effective. But if you're shooting 25 rounds in under 10 minutes like we do at our buffalo
shoots  I have used both, I'm shooting prone with a 650 gr. bullet. I have found for myself if I tame
the recoil and wear ear muffs I shoot better, just pretend the 22 liner is in!!!. because if you start
 flinching you may as well go home
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:41 AM »
K. B.,
FWIW, I use 'The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad'. Got mine through Cabela's, they run around $20 plus S&H and slip right on the butt of the stock. My Pedersoli Billy Dixon model has the curved butt stock and the pad works wonders, shooting 100 plus rounds has no hurtfull effect on my shoulder at the end of the day. To make it look more old-timey I sewed some old material around it and tucked the extra inside it before sliding on the stock, it holds its position and hasn't slipped yet. I have also used old leather on the outside and it worked well, just rub a little Ballistol on it when cleaning the rifle and it'll age nicely and look like it came right out of a line camp cabin!
Another nice thing about this unit is that it won't harm or blemish the wood and retains its fit if you take it off frequently, I just leave mine on.
Cabela's sells several other products and styles running from $20-35, m/l, if you don't already get their catalogs the website is:
www.cabelas.com
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe 

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
 The Butt Ugly pad available from www.sageoutfitters.com is a good one.
 I like the Limbsaver slip on pad , and the limbsaver shooters shirt to me is better than one of the past pads.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Ranch, I don't see one called the "Butt Ugly" The one they show is the  Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad. ???

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
Well looks to me like butt ugly has become a bit more pc and changed its name to Shooters Friend. ;D
 Works good even on military butts.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com