Poll

Who is your favorite manufacturer/importer of revolver(s)?

Colt Firearms
22 (8.8%)
Charles Daly
1 (0.4%)
Cimmaron
27 (10.8%)
Navy Arms
2 (0.8%)
Ruger
101 (40.4%)
Taurus
4 (1.6%)
Uberti USA
47 (18.8%)
USFA
26 (10.4%)
Other
20 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 238

Author Topic: Main Match Revolver and why  (Read 76056 times)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Main Match Revolver and why
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
AWA Longhorns have the best actions, but they aren't in production under the AWA name anymore, my main match guns recently have been Uberti 1851 RM Conversions with 5 1/2 inch barrels....  Also have a pair of EMF Hartfords as backups to those... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 05:49:57 PM »
It may be thet Ah voted afore in this here poll. But Rugers are, to me anyway, the "Colt" of today, reliable, affordable [which Colts are not!] although they art relable, I find that they are a bit small for my hand(s) and although I load within the accepted (cowboy) limits of the powder I use, I'll never have to worry about my Old Model Vaquero Blowing apart.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Maddog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 06:24:06 PM »
Well I am just getting into the SASS never even been to a match YET.  I have a couple of Rugers  Would either of these do

Still need a shotgun and rifle probably some clothes maybe I will head to the next match and watch first
If you are too open minded your brains will fall out

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:34:23 AM »

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 10:10:13 PM »
Well I am just getting into the SASS never even been to a match YET.  I have a couple of Rugers  Would either of these do
yep, they'll both do.  The BH will put you in the Modern category, but don't worry, you'll still have fun.  Just bring some .44Spl loads instead of the .44Mags.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 10:52:04 PM »
I have Uberti's from two listed importers, Cimarron and EMF. I also have two EAA Bounty Hunters and one Ruger NMV. The size of the grip influenced my liking of the Uberti clones. Just feel better in my hand............Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 07:19:41 PM »
I have a Beretta Stampede which is made by Uberti.  Looks and feels great.  5 1/2 bbl. balances real well for me.  45 LC like my 73 Winchester.  I have to keep it simple  :o so only 1 kind of ammo. :D  Don't want to confuse myself.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
RUGERS!   But I reckon you knew that if ye ever checked out the RATS forum.
I reckon second place would be the Schofeld designs.

MG & CJ
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
i been hunting & shooting the pettia 58 rem 44 in 12" barrel. c&b revolver for 15 years. its the only c&b i had ever  shot or held, it has served me well so natrally i wanted a nother one when i started in sass
go pettia
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »
uberti cattleman 4 3/4" pair. the fit is great in my hand. the technology is period correct. and I learned to shoot with a old ruger single six. And last is the price. the ruger is out of the late 50s or early 60s and has never been worked on, and still gets shot regularly. I do know that my ubertis wont make that for both have had to have springs replaced due to breakage.

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
I shoot Pietta and Uberti Remington Revolvers. I like the way they look, I like the fact that there are less screws than colt, and I like the one-piece frame. '58 and '75 model.

The only Colt I have is a '51 Navy Konverted to .38.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
Colt.  It's what all the others want to be.  There's a reason for that.  I've got Pietta's, Ubertis, Armi San Marcos, Rugers, and have fondled all the others.  Nothing is quite like a Colt.

Why because it has a pony on the side and is a better investment?  Never mind that the third gen Colts are JUNK!

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
For my hands, the 1851 Richards Mason Conversions are perfect!!  I shoot double duelist and when one of my pards let me handle them, I decided for duelist, they were perfect.  The open tops are a pleasure at the loading table too when showing the hammer on an empty chamber!!

Panhead Pete

Offline Badlands Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
The springs need to be replaced in a Colt or clone about every 5,000 rounds.  A Ruger needs to be cleaned about every 5,000 rounds.  I love my Rugers.  I have 10.

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 08:01:16 PM »
I shoot Uberti made 1860 Armies.  I like shooting c&b pistols and the 1860 Army model just feels right and I like the larger grips of the Army.  At the time I got mine I liked the quality of the Ubertis compared to the Piettas.  I have heard that has changed.

I have also found that when using a lubed wad as a normal part of my loading procedure the Colt designed 1860 Army just goes and goes.  All c&b pistols benefit from lots of lube.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
If I have to have a gun I know will work it's my Ruger Bisley's they are my most often used main match pistols because I know they are going to work every time.  I shoot my Pietta 1858 Remington's with conversion cylinders when I want style points. I want to get a pair of Open Tops next, but I will always have the Ruger's with me in case the others fail.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 09:28:57 PM »
Ruger Vaqueros
1. They are not very expensive - Not cheap but you get great value for the price.
2.  They last and last and last
3.  They shoot where you point them
4.  If you have a problem, Ruger will fix things very quickly
5.  Did I mention they last and last - seriously over built a bit heavy in the old model Vaqueros but...
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 01:20:23 AM »
Why because it has a pony on the side and is a better investment?  Never mind that the third gen Colts are JUNK!
Au contraire, my friend.  I believe you have just sampled far too small a field.  Yes, there was a period when Colt quality slipped, quite far in fact.  From the mid 80's to the mid 90's I wouldn't buy one.  But... that has been turned around for so long, it's laughable to still be beating that pony.  I can accept that some folks feel they're overpriced, but what isn't?  As I almost said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Don't get me wrong, I think that the introduction of high quality copies (read USFA) has done much to bring Colt back up to the high expections of their buyers.  And I wouldn't rule out owning one, or maybe more... but... I admit, I'd rather be buying more Colts.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline N40W111

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
Being new to CAS, I bought a Cimarron P Jr. 3 1/2" in .38 for my first cowboy shootin' iron.  I've got really small hands and those Rugers make me feel like I've got on Levi's that are too big!  So, for me, it was a matter of "feel".  I can actually hit things with this little bugger too.  Looking to buy another soon to complement the .357 fish rifle. ;D

Offline JL McGillicuddy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
I have two different pairs of main match guns.  4 5/8 inch barreled stainless Ruger Vaqueros (original models) and 5.5 inch barreled blued Ruger Old Armys. 

I chose to go to the Rugers because they fit me and they are built like a tank. 

When I first got into cowboy action shooting, I was introduced to a family member of someone that I knew who was an experienced shooter.  He showed me around my first match and sort of played "tour guide" as well as introducing me around.  Everyone let me handle their guns to see what felt good to me and what fit me well.  When I was done trying every type of gun represented at the match, he looked at me and said "You should probably buy old model Rugers."  When I asked him why, he explained that they were the only guns I didn't regrip three or four times to find where my hand fit.  I just picked them up and was in the right place.  (Helps to know I am a bit on the large side.)

I found a pair for a good price on the used market that had been tuned up and have been shooting them ever since.  I put on Eagle's Gunfighter grips and now my petite girlfriend shoots my Vaqs with me. 

I got the Old Armys when I decided I wanted to play in the cap and ball game.  Ruger indestructible construction and just feel good to me. 

No, neither gun is an actual reproduction of any design made in the 19th century, but the value and durability of these guns is beyond question. You can shoot them right out of the box, and they work.

There's my two cents. 

Jack Lee

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »
I'm first going for some Remmie's Old Army's b/c of price and I love that gun.
but I had to vote for USFA, because of the accuracy in detail of the arm, the finish, the quality, and the stamp that basically reads:
"This is a piece of American Iconic History, and as such is made in the Good ol'USA!"

after I get my Remmie and some community college classes finished in CAD and CNC I'm going to be looking forward to maybe scratch-building a 58 here... in the good ol' USofA!
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com