Author Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873  (Read 321631 times)

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vintage Hunting with the 1873
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »
Rowdy, I casted up over 300 bullets for my old '73 today. Now to get them loaded up and out to the range on a weekly basis until hunting season. I used to hunt Snowshoe Hares every day in the winter time. I eventually got used to all sorts of contortions to get the shot. Trouble is now the ol' neck doesn't twist around 360 degrees anymore.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
Howdy
Got a chance to check on my Deer stands . They are still there , will move one to another area on Farm . The drought has been tough on the mass crop . The swamp is all dried up , never thought it would look like that . At least the skitters aren't to bad . Might try to slip in there and call a coyote up . We camped the other night and those ole song dogs were making all kinds of noise .
It sounded like there was 50+ coyotes but when it gets daylight they disappear . The next day all you can find is tracks and crap . 

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
Howdy
Got a chance to check on my Deer stands . They are still there , will move one to another area on Farm . The drought has been tough on the mass crop . The swamp is all dried up , never thought it would look like that . At least the skitters aren't to bad . Might try to slip in there and call a coyote up . We camped the other night and those ole song dogs were making all kinds of noise .
It sounded like there was 50+ coyotes but when it gets daylight they disappear . The next day all you can find is tracks and crap . 
If you can imitate a wounded rabbit, they'll come a-runnin'. There's too many of them around here. They are decimating the fawns.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:55:42 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
Wounded rabbit works ,Lost pup works good late summer ,wounded bird works all yr . Take it from a Texan who has put many song dog in the happy hunting ground . You can fool them once or twice after that the are educated . Prob. the smartest animal you can hunt . Dusty .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
Dusty
Ole Wiley Coyote is about as smart of a critter as you can hunt . If you can get them into range the 44wcf is a different way to hunt . Last Deer season I was hunting and a Coyote came slipping through the woods ,the old 44wcf laid him to rest . Sure do wish I had got a picture of him .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
Dusty
I broke down and purchased a electronic caller last winter . Looks like I will get to use it this year .

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
Hope you put a spanking on them song dogs Rowdy.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
I ordered that 2ff Swiss from Powder Inc. Waiting on it to get here . Got a bunch of bullets cast lubed,and ready . Hope that load works good . Decided to hunt only with my 45-75wcf 76,and my C.Sharps this season. Have not been this excited to hunt in yrs. Brings back the fun. Dusty.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
Dusty
I know that feeling , I have been working with my 1873's and  plan  on SLAUGHTERING the Deer at the farm . I have a new Short Rifle and it needs a .429 bullet . My old faithful uses a . 427 and what I don't understand  , they are both Uberti's . I plan on filling my tags this year , I like jerky and the sausage sticks . And how could you not like the Tenderloin or Steaks .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
Howdy
Got out there yesterday and tried the .429 , .430 with Swiss BP . The short rifle shot  much better .  There was one group at 50 yards I could cover with a quarter . But what really amazes me is the cleanliness of Swiss powder . When you can shot 30 rounds and look down the barrel and still see all your rifling .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
Howdy
 Well I found out the 2 Uberti 1873 rifles I own have a .429 bore . I slugged them tonight . Plan on shooting them this week at 100 yards .I am guessing the .430 will produce the best groups ??? BUT the half round barrel has always shot good with .427 ?? And that was with smokeless loads , will figure out this week .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
Dusty
I broke down and purchased a electronic caller last winter . Looks like I will get to use it this year .

Using electronics to get coyotes close enough to shoot with BP??? :o

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Howdy Pony Express
If you have a better way I'm all ears .  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
Howdy
Got a chance to shoot the different powder charges and different bullet dia . The .430 did ok but overall the 429 looks to be my choice as best performing . Testing is still going on but close to finished . Having a Premium ammo is what the Vintage Hunter needs . Just because a Hunter decides to use black he shouldn't be at a hunting disadvantage .Now that Swiss has the standard to go by , maybe the rest of the Powder Companies will follow suit with clean burning powder that can achieve the Velocities as the Original Winchester loads ? 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »
Howdy
Rifle season  is only weeks away . I plan on taking 3 Deer this year . That way I will have plenty of jerky meat . And several Steaks for the year . I plan on using my 73 and maybe my 76 . I have killed Deer with my 76 , but this will be the year for my 73 in 44wcf
a few years ago I used my 66 carbine in 45 colt to harvest a nice Doe . The 45 colt did a good job ,but it's time for the 44wcf to step up . The nice thing about being a Cowboy Shooter and a Vintage Hunter is they cross over . You own the Guns ,clothes and ammo . Now to put them all together and have a safe Hunt . Life is one big Adventure enjoy them one day at a time .

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
I had been planning on using my original '73 44 WCF for deer hunting next month, but due to the conditions I'll be hunting in, I'm thinking of taking my original Winchester 1895 38-72 instead. Next year, I'll be hunting at a different location where the risk to my pretty high condition '73 is not so great. I feel kind of bad about this because I am all in a lather to harvest a Whitetail Deer with my old 44.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
KirkD
Good luck with your 95 , Hope you get a nice Deer . We want to see pictures if you kill anything .  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
Howdy
Well the UPS truck ran yesterday . I have a couple more samples of Vintage ammo to try . They are loaded with .429 bullets , and 2 different powder charges . Tomorrow is opening day of Muzzle loader season so will spend the next 2 days Hunting . Oh and today is raining so probably won't get a chance to shoot today . But the weather forecast for Monday is dry and 70 degree's .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Howdy
The weather was warm and dry , but WINDY . I shot both loads at 50 yards . Both shot ok but I need a better day to get a true test .Will have to use my 1873 44wcf to harvest does this fall . I used my Buck tag Saturday on a Muzzle loader Hunt . He was a nice 8 point .

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
I't will be interesting to see how the different ammo compares in the accuracy department.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com