Author Topic: Notice of Transfer  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Notice of Transfer
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was hoping Brevet Colonel Sagebrush Burns would kindly accept me as part of the Department of the Platte as I have permanently moved to Flagstaff, Az.

I have a keen eye and a steady hand and would be a viable asset.

Much Appreciated,

Willie California Creek Dixon
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Notice of Transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
Sir:
I have the honor to reply to your communication of this morning.  (Revising my previous post, as a result of some checking.)  You do come under the Dept. of the Platte.  Welcome to our mess! (The military term for the 19th Century equivalent of the O-club, NCO-club or Enlisted-club.)

I have been recently named Bvt. Lt. Col., Commanding the Southern District of the Dept. of the Platte, but have received no information as to the geographical boundaries thereof from the Dept. Commander, Bvt. Col. Sagebrush Burns.  I will attempt to contact him by this kind of telegraph, and will report when I have more information. 

Whereabouts in Arizona Territory do you now reside?  Is the climatological condition sufficient to cook eggs on the sidewalks today?  ::)  ("You know you are in Arizona, if your car is overheating...and you haven't started the engine yet!" Unknown source, a resident.)  :o

I remain,
Your obdt servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »
Col, sir,

I work for a livin'!!  LOL (retired Sr. Chief of the US Coast Guard)
actually it's been very hot here in my parts of Arizona, highs all the way up into the 80s today! 

I live up in Flagstaff, but love to take drives around the whole state.  Yesterday I went into Grasshopper Flats (Sedona to the layperson) and picked up my beautiful grey cavalry hat, just like the Duke's. 

I was wondering if there was any way to get the Arizona pards in the area to start meeting somewhere once a month or even more often.  I am a SASS member, but I care more about the character personas of the GAF and NCOWS.  It is nice to see so many of us from this great copper state!

Sincerely,

Willie "California Creek" Dixon - frmr S.Sgt of the 2nd Company of Mass Sharpshooters

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:58:06 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:34:14 PM »
Col, sir,

I work for a livin'!!  LOL (retired Sr. Chief of the US Coast Guard)
actually it's been very hot here in my parts of Arizona, highs all the way up into the 80s today! 

I live up in Flagstaff, but love to take drives around the whole state.  Yesterday I went into Grasshopper Flats (Sedona to the layperson) and picked up my beautiful grey cavalry hat, just like the Duke's. 

I was wondering if there was any way to get the Arizona pards in the area to start meeting somewhere once a month or even more often.  I am a SASS member, but I care more about the character personas of the GAF and NCOWS.  It is nice to see so many of us from this great copper state!

Sincerely,

Willie "California Creek" Dixon - frmr S.Sgt of the 2nd Company of Mass Sharpshooters

Trade ya temperatures! Metro-Denver's been in the high 90's most of this week, and the forecase for the weekend shows no break.  Nothing like Phoenix, but warm enough.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to post a notice on both this forum (well, you already did), as well as the SASS Wire, and simply ask those who are interested in military history, shooting, etc., to contact you.  I'd proceed cautiously, of course.  I'd try to meet at a local shoot or two or three, to get acquainted.

Right now, we are just getting the Southern District of the Dept. of the Platte organized (if I can call it "organization"  ;) ).  I'm not sure if we have a roster of GAF troops living in the variouts departments, districts, etc.  Have to look into it.  Be kinda neat to have a department/district muster for those unable to get to the grand musters.

As I was told in AFROTC, and heard many times elsewhere, an officer may command an outfit, but the NCO's run it! And woe to the "shoulder straps" that forget it!  :)

BTW, what sort of personna have you selected?  Or have you gotten that far yet?  Don't forget, you don't have to stay with any particular rank.  About everyone has at least one or more brevets.  It's not like most of the re-enactment groups where a retired BGEN would have to start out as a private.  Neither do we stand on too much ceremony, except during color guards (that is a ceremony), etc.  You may notice that I often write in the style of the 19th Century military correspondence, just for grins!  Of course, that gets cumbersome.  There can also be fun in naming modern conveniences in 19th Century terms.  Thus, prior, say, to the 1880's when Chester Arthur had a phone installed in the White House, the telephone might be termed the "voice telegraph"!

I remain,
Your obedient servant,

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:16:21 AM »

The best way to do that is to start it yourself.  ::) Think about it.

If you're wondering what our musters are like, run on up here to Nebraska next week and shoot with us. We'd love to have you! And bring your sharps. We're having a 400 yd. match. That should kind of a easy shot for a Dixon.  ::) ;)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
The best way to do that is to start it yourself.  ::) Think about it.

If you're wondering what our musters are like, run on up here to Nebraska next week and shoot with us. We'd love to have you! And bring your sharps. We're having a 400 yd. match. That should kind of a easy shot for a Dixon.  ::) ;)

and that's just plain flattery!  Most people, for whatever the reason, don't seem to correlate Willy Dixon, with the Billy Dixon.  Name was already chosen, and my cousin, a retired US Secret Service goes by Willie, he's a great mentor to me, so it was an easy fix.

As for my persona.  I actually have two, one that I'm primarily working on at the moment which is for the SASS Wild Bunch.  Basically it's cheaper to go with my 1911s I already own, an M1912 holster and pre-WWI fatigues for the USMC.  :)

My other persona, I have been doing research on for two years or so.  A Civil War veteran of the Sharpshooters, now a civilian scout for the US Army Cavalry during the Indian Wars.  That is where the Spencer, Sharps, 1860 and 1847 come from.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com