Author Topic: just wondering  (Read 1025 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
just wondering
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »
I just converted a Uberti  black powder frame 45 colt to 44 special..  New cylinder and new SAA colt 44 special barrel.
What I was wondering about was ,,What if someone converted a black powder ( Pre 1896 ) model P to 44 special,,Would it still be safe to shoot some of those 44 Keith loads of the 1920s amd 30s in it,,seeing as it is the cylinder that is the weak link in the black powder only pre 1896 guns ?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: just wondering
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:43:00 PM »
Howdy Willy.  I am not a gunsmith.  But my opinion is that the modern cylinder and barrel might keep the gun from "exploding" with hot loads but the frame might distort.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:17 PM »
'Might' is an operative word.

There's no telling how long a frame made primarily of wrought iron may or may not last, because it takes a battering when fired.

Keith ruined a lot of old SAAs, and they were a lot newer back then, than they are today.

But hey, it's your eyes and hands...

If you want to load like Keith - buy a Ruger.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:52 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:58:38 AM »

:)  Well Willi   ;)

Elmer Keith is well revered in handgun circles.  His contributions are legendary.  Oft overlooked though, is the fact he was actually fairly stupid.  He blew up quite a few SAA and other guns in his untrained experiments.

Your new cylinder and barrel might well stand the increased chamber pressure created by those Keith loads.  However, if we are talking about an original Model P, as mentioned by Abilene, you may see some frame distortion.

A Uberti SA on the other hand, is made from much sterner stuff than an original pre 1896 Colt.  With a .44 Caliber Cylinder and Barrel it may well stand some really impressive (stupid) load levels.  Your Hands, your Eyes, and they don't make replacements.

Play Safe Out There

PS:  If you wanted to play Dirty Harry, Why didn't you just source up a 44 Magnum?

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:30:46 AM »
I don’t have the money or the desire to test loads and guns to the failure/exploding point,,I was just wondering “WHAT IF “. I do know  that there was a group of 44 special hand loaders back in the day that were loading the special to magnum levels..And seeing as Colt at one time would rework a customer’s gun ..I was just wondering if anyone might have had their old thumb buster in 38/40 or 32/20 upgraded to 44 special with a new barrel and cylinder!   Then proceed to magnumtize it!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »
I am reading Sixguns by Elmer Keith right now. He speaks of switching to the S&W N frame due to the SAA not being strong enough to handle the heavier loads that led to the 44 Magnum. If you want to shoot .44 Specials and .44 Magnums in a SAA, get a Ruger Vaquero [old model] built in .44 Magnum.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com