Author Topic: Side match ammo etc.  (Read 2054 times)

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Side match ammo etc.
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
 Two questions:
 (1) Since the origonal .22 rimfire round was a .22 short, is it permissable under the rules to use the .22 Short as a competition round? I ask because I have a sweet .22 caliber H&R Model 1906 revolver that I would like to use in side matches. It is chambered in ".22 rimfire" and I interprate this to mean .22 short or maybe .22 Long as the Long Rifle was not yet developed when the pistol was introduced. I only shoot CB caps and .22 Shorts through this pistol for safety's sake.
 (2) How is a Side Match governed? If there is a 2 shot requirement (as our Club sometimes does) Then you go to another match and a paper plate requiring 5 shots is declared, do you get time to reload a 2 shot derringer? Is it even legal for such a match? Is a Side Match part of your total score?
 I am supposing the answer to #2 is that side matches are for "fun" and the course of fire, determines the tool (Gun) to use. I am also guessing that reloads in a Side Match are not allowed...
 ZVP

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Side match ammo etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
Side matches are just for fun and there's never really any telling what you will find when you get to a side match.  Derringers are usually two shot speed matches with the gun starting at low ready or staged on a table or something like that.

Sometimes match directors offer a .22 side match. 

Some popular side matches include speed rifle, speed pistol, speed shotgun, wild bunch matches, team matches, long range rifle.  One match that I attended had a derringer side match but the target was out a bit and they were going for accuracy rather than speed.  That's the only time I have seen that format for a derringer.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
 I just read through the rules and they only state standard velocity .22 ammunition, so I guess the standard velocity .22 short would apply. In the spirit of the game you would want to be correct and it would be kinda cool  to go to such an extent to get it right!
 I also read that the range is point blank to 3 yards.
 No steel targets to prevent richoets.
 ZVP

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:20 PM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
Point blank to three yards for what?  In SASS you can't use .22 ammo unless it's in a .22 side match or unless you are a buckaroo/buckarette.

All standard side matches the same rules apply for ammo as they do for main match ammo unless stated otherwise by the match director.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com