Author Topic: 'Spirit of the Game'  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Spirit of the Game'
« on: June 05, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
We had a Shoot today. One Shooter had 3 Counters call a miss. He began to argue, even walking out to a target and pointing to a bullet mark claiming that it was his. He really made a scene. The miss, I saw it hit the ground behind the target, was changed to a hit. It really soured my day. Not only should the miss have been scored as such but a 'Spirit of the Game' penalty would have been proper.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Ol Law Dawg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 'Spirit of the Game'
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:57:29 PM »
I agree with you. I hope the RO or someone at least had a good talk with him after the match. We are there for fun and a miss is no big deal.
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
BOLD #971
GAF #705

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Totally uacceptable if it happened as stated, RO should have had the talk as soon as he finished clearing his guns. It's ok to question a call and point it out to the RO. After that it's muzzels up and to the unloading table, let the RO handle it. No place for that kind of behavior in our game. Spirit of the Game is not used for this type of behavior, only a Match DQ can be used.
RO I page 26 Match DQ
• Belligerent attitude / Unsportsman-like conduct.
• Interpersonal conflicts.

Now on the other side of the coin, if lazy spotters are not really doing thier job, (looking for the miss as well as listen) they often miss an edge hit or dead target. In this case the RO may be in the best position to see the hit. If they do see the hit it is thier responsablilty to question the spotters as to location of misses.
RO I page 7-8
C) The Timer Operator does not have the authority to overrule the spotters but can
question spotters as to location of misses. The Timer Operator does have the best
advantage to see the direction the muzzle is pointed, which is helpful in edge hits.
G) However, the Timer Operator is often times in the best position to evaluate
hits or misses if in question

I know when I shoot BP at our home club, I may get called for at least two misses per match on certain targets with dead spots at the wields. The RO and I often have a good laugh about it when the targets have fresh paint or he clearly sees the hit. I will point it out, then it's muzzels up to the unloading table with a smile. ;D

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:27 PM »

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »
We had a Shoot today. One Shooter had 3 Counters call a miss. He began to argue, even walking out to a target and pointing to a bullet mark claiming that it was his. He really made a scene. The miss, I saw it hit the ground behind the target, was changed to a hit. It really soured my day. Not only should the miss have been scored as such but a 'Spirit of the Game' penalty would have been proper.

Although the proper call for badgering spotters is MDQ for unsportsmanlike conduct, I HAVE given a SOG penalty to a shooter for just that kinda haranqeing of spotters.  I warned him to stop, he said he didn't care, so "bingo", he got it, and was warned that ONE MORE WORD and he was done for the day.  Sometimes you HAVE TO rein in somebody if they think they are gonna "mean mouth" their way to getting spotters to "go blind".  Rare, but it does happen.  Now he could have challenged my call, the MD and two black badge RO's just happened to be on the posse, but if he did, they would have assessed the "proper" penalty.  Kinda puts him in a "take the 30 seconds and shut up" mode.

There is no more difficult job to do well, and spotters doing a good job deserve respect and support.  Ya don't kick sand on the umpire's shoes, just saying.....
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:18:47 AM »
I must have more 'fun' than most,,,I call my own misses at the time,,,makes it easy for the officials. ::)

Is this being too helpful ??? ???

AE ;D ;D ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
I look at the score sheet for any misses when I shoot.  I never ask spotters.  They got their job to do, I got mine.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:47:53 AM »
If you think that it's a miss then it's a hit.  I wish that people would remember that if there is any doubt in their mind whatsoever that it was a miss then it's a hit.  If you have to look and see how someone else called it then you have to call a hit.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
It sounds like someone to wrapped up in winning.

As are those who use super light loads. Sorry, but it's a pet pieve of mine. Did they have light loads in the 1800's? Cowboy action shooting, or sissy no action shooting?
Pete

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
If you think that it's a miss then it's a hit.

If I see the impact on the ground behind and to one side of the target then it's a miss.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »
Hey Pete, I know you have just got started in this game. I shoot full WARTHOG loads in 44-40 now but started with 45 Colt. We have some spotters who don't look and are busy telling some one something and their hearing is bad. I have shot matches where the smoke from my guns was thick and hit the target square on. The spotter gives me a miss. I asked him If I missed how is the target swinging? I walk away saying that I did not care for the color of the BMW anyway. If you shoot BP long enough you will be scored with a miss when you have a hit. It's all just part of the Game. I know what I did and that is good enough for me.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:31:36 AM »
Yebbut, when you double tap and they go through the same hole, and they give you a miss???? :o

Thats what happened to me numerous times this weekend,,,but I forgive them!! ;)

Angel (Sure-shot) Eyes. ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Hey Pete, I know you have just got started in this game. I shoot full WARTHOG loads in 44-40 now but started with 45 Colt. We have some spotters who don't look and are busy telling some one something and their hearing is bad. I have shot matches where the smoke from my guns was thick and hit the target square on. The spotter gives me a miss. I asked him If I missed how is the target swinging? I walk away saying that I did not care for the color of the BMW anyway. If you shoot BP long enough you will be scored with a miss when you have a hit. It's all just part of the Game. I know what I did and that is good enough for me.

Thanks Pard. I need to lighten up a bit and go with the flow.

I can't help being a cranky old git.  ;D
Pete

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Spirit of Game is a shooting penalty, not a comportment penalty.  It is used in rare situations where a shooter takes advantage of a situation to gain time - like when you already have a "P" and disregard stage directions from that point on.

Comportment isn't a rule, it isn't regulated with rules.  If you are displeased with a person's behavior you have two options.  One, shut up and go work on your own character defects.  Two, speak to them directly and privately about how their behavior has affected you and the sport you love.  If you don't have the huevos for TWO, stick with ONE.

Offline Leadbelcher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »
Of course, when you KNOW those pesky bullets hit steel and there is NO sound, it must be a STEALTH BULLET!!!
there is even a society for those afflicted with the curse of stealth bullets!

Evernay Issmay!!!

http://mddall.com/sbss/SBSSmission.htm

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »

What ya need is more tin in your lead to make the targets go ting ding bang instead of just a soft splat  ::) ??? ::)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
Can't do that!  Shoot the Holy Black and need the SOFT lead boolits! ::) ;)  BOOOOM!! Lots of white smoke.  RO get a concussion from the rounds!  And they are only 44 Russians! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com