Author Topic: $hiloh $harps  (Read 4248 times)

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
$hiloh $harps
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »
try as I might, I just can't seem to get my shiloh sharps for less than $3400. :(  With all the purty extras I "need"  hehe  ;D 

I am taking a trip to the nearest Cabella's store this monday and I guess I'm going to have to check out the the Pederalsoli (sp?) sharps.  Does anyone have any pros or cons about this rifle?

I'm looking for a 45-70 and I want to shoot just black powder.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: $hiloh $harps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
The Pedersoli will shoot much better than most shooters can.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »
Here, here.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:07:31 AM »

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:25:03 PM »

Buck, what is it you are looking for? I have a pretty unique pedrasoli 45/70 that I might part with.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 04:03:13 PM »
Howdy

Be sure to check out the sales at Dixie Gunworks. They have periodic sales on selected models. I saved $200 over the regular price of my Dixie 'Silhouette Model' Pedersoli Sharps a couple of years ago. It had all the features I wanted, a nice plain stock with shotgun style buttplate, pistol grip, double set triggers, 30" heavy barrel in 45-70. I particularly was not interested in any 'fancy' extras like checkering or a pewter forend cap. To tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed with the execution of checkering or pewter nose caps on the Italian Sharps I had seen. I'm happier with a 'plain jane' model that I won't be agrivated over poorly executed details.

It ain't a Shiloh, but my Pedersoli Sharps shoots much better than I can take advantage of.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:29:34 PM »
I had a Pedersoli rolling block.  I once shot a 4 1/2 inch 5 shot group on a clear day with no wind at 500m.  I was working up a BP sillywet load.

Good guns.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
I have to agree with the replies you have so far.  The Pedersoli will probably shoot as well as the average shooter is capable.  However, you couldn't give me five Pedersolis for my Shiloh Sharps.  Yep, mine's 20 years old, and the best investment in a firearm I've ever made.  Talk to me in another 20 years, and I'll probably be even happier.  There is a good reason that my 20 year old Shiloh is worth as much as a new one, it's probably the finest example of the gunmakers art available.

Edited to show photo: 

This is the Long Range Express with the barrel cut to 30" to make BPCS weight limit.  Sights were the factory offering at the time.  No barrel mounted rear sight.  Chambered in .40-90SBN  Chronographed some loads today:  The surprise of the day came with the BP loads in my Shiloh which averaged: 1576fps, ES was 17.28 and SD was 8.71! For a volume measured 90grs. of 2F Goex, over a WLR primer, with a 350gr spire point bullet, lubed w/SPG and a waxed card wad, I was astounded at their consistent velocity. At least I think that is consistent. The smokeless load that I was using in the .40-90SBN was the same WLR primers in .45 Basic brass formed and cut to the 2.625 length; 29 grs of AA5744 with the same 350gr bullet. No card wad with the smokeless loads. Average was 1582.333, ES: 19, with a SD of: 2.5 if I have the calculation correct. We forgot to record this reading off the Chrony, and then cleared it. I tried to recreate the formula in my spreadsheet and I come up with a slightly different number for the BP load (9.5 vs 8.71) so I think this 2.5 number is off. But, by how much I'm not sure.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:42 AM »
thank you everyone for all the replies.  I appreciate your input.  I'm looking for a long range gun for cowboy shooting, trap, but if I ever want to shoot any NRA shoots I have to keep the weight down to no more than 12.2 pounds.  For all the shooting I probably would do the pedersoli sharps is probably my best bet.  I only wanted the shilo sharps because all I've ever heard is how beautiful the workmanship is and how they retain their value.  Not that I would ever sell it.

I wanted a 45-70 and would just shoot blackpowder...cause thats what it was made for, and I think it would be more fun. :)   I would like to hear about your rifle, trap, and see any pictures if you have any. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com