Author Topic: How useful are butt stock cuffs and lever wraps?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Hrundi from Canuckistan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How useful are butt stock cuffs and lever wraps?
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »
I am wondering if it is worth the expense to purchase a stock cuff and/or a leather lever wrap for my new Miroku-made Winchester 1873 24" rifle?

Will the cuff dampen recoil of the crescent shaped butt or serve to protect the stock from dings.

Taylors told me that theirs are made to fit the Uberti 1873. Wonder if the Uberti has a stock of different dimensions?

If needed I would appreciate seller recommendations. I don't think I want one with cartridge holders in any event. Thanks.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: How useful are butt stock cuffs and lever wraps?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »
The lever wrap serves several purposes, it reduces the diameter of the hole in the loop so you don?t have to move your hand as far to operate the gun plus it saves your knuckles. The buttstock wrap should be rough side out to keep the steel buttplate from sliding around your shoulder as you cycle the rifle. There?s no recoil to dampen in a pistol caliber cas rifle. Both serve a purpose imo.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:15:49 PM »
What Ed said.  Recoil on a '73?  It's a pop gun.  There is no recoil.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:27:22 PM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
For myself, I have them on most of my leverguns. My 73 and 92, and my shotgun have my alias on it, somewhat giving it an ID. We have a shotgun only stage, at least once per match someone grabs the wrong Stoeger coach gun. They all look the same. On my rifle, I have them made to have a spacer in it, making it a shotgun butt. Doesn't do anything for recoil, (as someone else said, a 44-40 don't have any recoil) but it does add an inch or so of LOP, which I like as I'm kind of a big galoot with ape arms.

On my big rifles, I have the same thing done, but I have the shell loops added.

The lever wraps have always been thrown in on the deal, so I put them on. I can't say they do a whole lot, I dunno, don't pay them no mind.
King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »

PLUS ONE too Baltimore Ed.  If your going to run a lever rifle "FAST and HARD" the lever wraps reduce hand movement in the lever and pad the lever for the "sudden stop" at the end of the stroke, saving knuckles and fingers.

The Wrap on the Butt Stock looks COOL.  It also protects the rear part of the stock from "Kart Dings" and can lessen the "poke" you get from the Crescent butt plate.  Basically, Stylin.  I personally like a well fitted Butt Wrap.  Keeps me warm when it's cold outside.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Have not fired my Winchester 1873 rifle in .45 LC yet but only have the recoil memories of shooting my .45 1911s decades ago doing IPSC. I really like the firearms of the western era and this Winchester is a beauty!

Plan to order butt stock cuff and lever wrap from Kirkpatrick Leather and trying to decide on the tan vs the brown butt stock cuff ...

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »

I'm kinda partial to the Butt Covers from Duluth.  Angry Beavers or Nussknackers   8) 

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
Coffinmaker, can you please provide links?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com