Author Topic: Coffee and Tea on a very Independent July  (Read 11724 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Coffee and Tea on a very Independent July
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2022, 05:05:58 PM »
OK Twice. ;D   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_magnum

But did they put it in a Remington New Model Army or Colt Open Top? ::)

I still want to get a 38-55 for elk hunting, just for the giggles of it.  That’s where my thought started.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »

I still want to get a 38-55 for elk hunting, just for the giggles of it.  That’s where my thought started.

—TK

And new cylinder and barrel and big bucks.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »

—TK
I have a 1893 Marlin in .38-55. I have shot it in some GAF musters.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 12:58:19 PM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2022, 10:02:35 PM »
I was at an acquaintance's house on Saturday to make a holster pattern for a Ruger GP100.  We we talking about guns and they mentioned they had this old gun. Said it was a single-shot and you open it with a level. I am thinking 1885 Winchester. They show me a letter from the Cody Museum. Sure enough - a 1885 Winchester in .32-40. Someone gave it to them. We go to the basement and I got to handle it. I told them I reload for .32-40. So, I will probably get to shoot it.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2022, 12:04:32 AM »
Just finished reading a new book about John Moses from the library, very interesting, I am of the opinion his first was the best.  We likely would have lost WWII with out some of his later ones, esp Ma Duece in the air, but he took the single shot to the highest level.   Mine is a small frame Low-Wall, rebarreled with a Springfield Armory 22 target barrel that has had a Hornet Reamer run up it.  Has Pre War style Weaver 1 inch dovetail rings, no big ugly but useful knobs, I'm told very rare, most were 3/4 or 7/8 inch.  That allows me to mount a El Paso made steel Weaver K'12 with adjustable parallax K-12.  The rest is stock, an original barrel would restore it, original plan was a new barrel or rebore to 38-40, a good original barrel and sights would restore it, but why?   Kind of like a barn find 32 coupe with a full Merc in it, a piece of history.  Will shoot slightly over 1 moa but plenty good for an old Hornet.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2022, 12:29:01 AM »
The original wood was a bit rough, but not now, yes a few decent repairs to it and a month getting the linseed oil right, always wanted to have it reblued and recased but glad I never had the money, it's a true early post war survivor.   Talked to an old retired smith about 25 years ago from a town about 65 miles from Lincoln and Omaha who said if his records had not been lost in a fire he could tell me if it was one he built in about 1947 when he came home from Trinidad.  Said he built 8 of them all identical, no stamp on the barrel with his name because he couldn't afford the stamp.  NRA sold the barrels cheap, the Hornet was at it's peak in that time before the 222, next step was the expensive Swift or a true wildcat, lots of shot out Low Walls some in already hard to get rounds, cheap varmint gun fairly cheap ammo, not hard to find, came out of an estate in Omaha, son knew none of the history.  Would have loved to had the High Wall but too pennies for me.  Beautiful hunk of walnut, not AAA but about A.  High Classic Period cheek piece and wide forend, the kind of stuff that was setting records off the bench at the time.  Nice case and blue, likely a factory metal refinish, they would do it at the time reasonable and the recase was tougher than the original it is said.  the 20 inch barrel wasn't as big as a truck axle, more like Chevy size, the Pre War 70 had the bigger barrel.  Caliber 219 Donaldson Wasp as was the 70, which had been a 30-30 when it rolled out.   Also could have had the die set, the good one with all the dies and neck turner to build them from 30-30 rather than the no longer mad 219 Win.  4X Lyman Super Target went with it, $1500 in 1992, a very fair price, the guy who ended up with it was a late friend across the state and he one day offered to go into town at the state games and get 10 one hundred dollar bills if he could also have the hornet.  Nope, have turned down several, one friend offered to trade again but wouldn't give up his full military Krag with the Pope barrel, but I said that as a joke, we decided to keep what we had. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2022, 07:35:02 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are ready.

'Tis 58 and sunny. High of 76.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »
Met my Dr's replacement yesterday, he's not going to be my primary, Cammie the PA from the old office is my primary, she found my heart problems and left. m But he was open yesterday, nither should be able to retire on me, and his nurse is a male nurse, kind of a hipster guy but cool, we were talking about Hank Sr and stuff, he having just met me opened my chart and said Oh my. ;D

said his mom was a flower child and his dad a biker, told him I was a long hair redneck, new Dr cool also.  Endo on Monday, MRI with contrast on Thursday, he is pretty sure the next problems can be cured.  We expect me running close to normal by spring with a having to be a little cautious.

Felt sorry for the nurse and the other 2 gals in the lab though, they drilled 5 dry holes before they struck, almost got sent to the hospital, but told them not to worry about the 2 try rule, the nurse guy said if he had to9 try again he'd do the forehead if I it was OK, I was game but the other lady stuck on the left arm, dead center when it looked to scarred.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »
I get another PC Doc. myself next week, Dr. Powers (it is his Practice, but he had been deployed) Dr. Davidoff was covering for him when I started there last year.
Davidoff is going back to Emergency/Triage and Powers will see me for my routine office visit.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2022, 10:16:55 PM »
And new cylinder and barrel and big bucks.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. If they can make a revolver that shoots 40S&W (  :-X ), I should be able to make a 38-55 Short. Call it the 38-22.5. ::)

Now my brain is actually going though. Start with a 357 cylinder from a frame size designed for 45Colt for Chanber length and wall thickness, then bore it out to .375. The barrel should be simple enough for a competent gunsmith to bore out to .375, or to sleeve a 38-40 barrel down from .401.

Or I could just buy a Ruger Blackhawk and shoot actual 357magnuns. But where’s the fun in that?

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2022, 12:59:38 AM »
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. If they can make a revolver that shoots 40S&W (  :-X ), I should be able to make a 38-55 Short. Call it the 38-22.5. ::)

Now my brain is actually going though. Start with a 357 cylinder from a frame size designed for 45Colt for Chanber length and wall thickness, then bore it out to .375. The barrel should be simple enough for a competent gunsmith to bore out to .375, or to sleeve a 38-40 barrel down from .401.

Or I could just buy a Ruger Blackhawk and shoot actual 357magnuns. But where’s the fun in that?

—TK

Cheaper and more fun that most think, been shooting Ruger only loads in a 32 mag for about 35 years, the 327 is easier because of more data and factory ammo, have thought about having mine reamed out but as long as they make the 32 mag brass there is no advantage hand loading and a 124 or so 32 cal 0.314 bullet at win the 1400 or so FPS range or 85 gr HP do things you never though possible including better pentation whith the heavy ones that the 357 or 44 and the hps with almost expolde a bunny or prairie dog.  Slim can vouch and he has a fish gun also.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2022, 02:57:14 AM »

Cheaper and more fun that most think, been shooting Ruger only loads in a 32 mag for about 35 years, the 327 is easier because of more data and factory ammo, have thought about having mine reamed out but as long as they make the 32 mag brass there is no advantage hand loading and a 124 or so 32 cal 0.314 bullet at win the 1400 or so FPS range or 85 gr HP do things you never though possible including better pentation whith the heavy ones that the 357 or 44 and the hps with almost expolde a bunny or prairie dog.  Slim can vouch and he has a fish gun also.

I have a 38spl JFrame, though it’s a little bit much for putting more than a few rounds down range at a time. Also, not exactly a tack driver. I’d like to get a K Frame in 327 mag at some point for working around the homestead. Of course, that requires a homestead, which I currently have in very short supply.

Also, does anyone remember the adapter (I believe it was Remington that produced it) for shooting 32acp through a 32wcf? I remember seeing it in a book, which I do own but it’s not in Africa with me.

—TK

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
Good morning all, 75 and pouring rain! Heavy rain yesterday and forecast today and tomorrow too. We need it badly. There is a gunshow in town today, might go to it, but last two times it really wasn't worth the entry fee. Anyway, coffee's on and one of our herd of greatnieces [who is five] is on the phone with the Missus, she loves to get to call us. You guys have a good one. TK be safe.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 68 and sunny. High of 82.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »
I have a 38spl JFrame, though it’s a little bit much for putting more than a few rounds down range at a time. Also, not exactly a tack driver. I’d like to get a K Frame in 327 mag at some point for working around the homestead. Of course, that requires a homestead, which I currently have in very short supply.

Also, does anyone remember the adapter (I believe it was Remington that produced it) for shooting 32acp through a 32wcf? I remember seeing it in a book, which I do own but it’s not in Africa with me.

—TK

Used to be a lot of stuff like that, probably still is, the problem 32-20 cowboy loads last I knew were cheaper than 32acp.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2022, 05:14:22 PM »
Used to be a lot of stuff like that, probably still is, the problem 32-20 cowboy loads last I knew were cheaper than 32acp.

When I had my 32acp KelTec, the acp rounds were a little less than 32-20 cowboy loads, but only by a couple dollars. Couldn’t say these days. Frankly I would rather have a 327 to go with a 32spl. A little more variety for harvesting small game for camp (32short would be great for squirrels and jackrabbits) but still have the magnum power for two leggeds like Sasquatch (sasquatches? Sasquii?) or delivering the coup d’grace on the winter meat. Of course, I could do that with a 357, but not have the bullet interchangeability with the rifle.

I digress.

Anyway, it’s hot and muggy in Africa. That’s about it.

—TK

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2022, 05:56:29 PM »
I'm big on 32/20, nostalgically it was the first real cal. I shot beyond 22 LR when I was a wee tike of about 8 years old.
I still have that gun as it was my Dads and he gave it to me when I was 21.
I have a Colt SAA in 32/20 , a Marlin Classic, a circa 1891 Winchester 73, and a Uberti Cattleman.
I load bout BP (for the 73) and Trailboss for the others...

Safe to say I'm fond of 32WCF

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2022, 07:27:25 AM »
Morning y'all.

I have a Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20.

'Tis 57 and partly sunny. High of 82.

Slim

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »
Morning y'all and may God bless on this Sunday morning. 72 here right now and raining, high of 82 with severe thunderstorms this afternoon probable. I love those old S&W K frames, such superb guns. That pencil barrel with the acorn ejector sure is a purty one! TK stay safe.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2022, 09:32:27 AM »
Morning y'all and may God bless on this Sunday morning. 72 here right now and raining, high of 82 with severe thunderstorms this afternoon probable. I love those old S&W K frames, such superb guns. That pencil barrel with the acorn ejector sure is a purty one! TK stay safe.

It has an interesting history, Dad traded with his brother (Uncle Slim) to get it, I was told.
He needed a side arm on his Boat,
In January 1942 he volunteered for the US Coast Guard Auxiliary to Capt. his own 32-foot cabin cruiser 'Lenape' as coast watching & patrol craft with a uniformed & armed Coast Guardsman.
Accepted he served in that service Feb. - July or 1942, when the Coast Guard had enough Cutter service and manpower to phase out the civilian volunteers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com