Author Topic: A terrific looking USFA.  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A terrific looking USFA.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 09:27:15 AM »
Beautiful gun.  Do you think it is an all USA made one?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 10:36:59 AM »

:)  Well Heck  ;)

I realize in the rarefied air of the collectors world, there seems to be some cache attached to an offering of USFA to be ALL USA.  Which frankly, I don't buy into.  I think it's dumb.  It makes no difference.  Either way, they are real fine SA revolvers.

This particular referenced example is particular fine in fact.  I'm not a collector and wouldn't even dream of paying that much money for anything "previously sold at retail" but it is unquestionably a superb example.  Were a "collector" I wouldn't care were it ALL USA or not.  Bottom line is ALL USFA guns are just gussied up Uberti in the final analysis.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:35:34 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »
Bottom line is ALL USFA guns are just gussied up Uberti in the final analysis.

That is so wrong (factually incorrect) I wouldn't know where to start. I'm surprised as a gunsmith you would make a statement like that.

You are entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 08:24:01 AM »
 :)  Well Hi DaveT  ;)

Ok, let me see.  Way back in the beginning, USPFA began existence, using imported Uberti Major parts and assemblies, a well as functional internals, final finished and assembled here.  Very Fine finishing indeed.  Really fine guns.

Then, USFA sourced their own machine tools and CNC and began making their parts "in house."  It didn't happen over night, but it did in fact happen.  ALL USA parts is a FACT.  But, here is the rub:

The CNC and Machine tools were set-up and programed to produce parts of the exact same dimensions as the previously imported Uberti Parts.  So, if you will, USFA became a CLONE of Uberti.  Very well made CLONE of Uberti.  Hence, my descriptive of "Gussied-Up Uberti."  Duplicated to the point I use to mix and match Uberti parts as "drop in" and "bolt on."

Now, let us add to the story.  You wanna guess where the USFA machine tools went??  Complete with imbedded CNC programming??

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
I think its about mass word association.  ;D

usfa -all usa made?

45acp - moro warriors

defensive ammo - range ammo

357 mag - You can shoot tons of cheap little 38spl through it!

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 09:47:38 PM »
:)  Well Hi DaveT  ;)

Ok, let me see.  Way back in the beginning, USPFA began existence, using imported Uberti Major parts and assemblies, a well as functional internals, final finished and assembled here.  Very Fine finishing indeed.  Really fine guns.

Then, USFA sourced their own machine tools and CNC and began making their parts "in house."  It didn't happen over night, but it did in fact happen.  ALL USA parts is a FACT.  But, here is the rub:

The CNC and Machine tools were set-up and programed to produce parts of the exact same dimensions as the previously imported Uberti Parts.  So, if you will, USFA became a CLONE of Uberti.  Very well made CLONE of Uberti.  Hence, my descriptive of "Gussied-Up Uberti."  Duplicated to the point I use to mix and match Uberti parts as "drop in" and "bolt on."

Now, let us add to the story.  You wanna guess where the USFA machine tools went??  Complete with imbedded CNC programming??

Would the word "Standard" have any connection??

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 08:35:35 AM »

:)  Texas John Ringo  ;)

Lemme see.  Trucks were loaded with packed and crated Machine Tools at the now dead USFA works.  Those same trucks were seen to unload those same packages and crates at Standard.  There may well be a connection.  There is also the rumor that Uberti, USFA, and Standard SA parts will interchange.  Hummmmmmmmm.

Let us Have Fun Out There

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 09:20:36 AM »
 ;D Seems as if I heard this somewhere before, not from you ;D

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »
Ringo:
It is good to see that you are still alive and kicking.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 01:03:15 PM »
Ringo:
It is good to see that you are still alive and kicking.
T-Joe
Yes, still around. Shot my 1st SASS match in nearly 3 years last month. Nothing wrong, just life got in the way. ;)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 03:52:50 PM »
I have never really understood why the big deal about whether USFA made their guns using Uberti dimensions, or Colt, or whoever. The fact is they achieved being CNC machined stim to stern from 4140 solid bar stock right here in the good ole USA and then hand fitted and finished right here in the good ole USA. The end product being roll marked on the barrels USFA MFG CO. HARTFORD CONN. USA, arguably the best single action ever made, thus far.

Whether Standard Manufacturing can achieve the status of being the best single action ever made in my humble opinion is yet to be determined. And why wouldn't Standard not acquire USFA’s equipment since USFA had already achieved success as the best.

I am certainly no expert, but I have owned them all and in my estimation USFA is still king of the mountain when it comes to quality. Having said that, were it not for the Colt SAA there would have been no icon to perfect. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 06:25:53 AM »
Back to the original post and point, the OP calls to attention
 a USFA SAA that is a "CHARLTON HESTON PROTOTYPE COMMEMORATIVE" beautified by Turnbull for the asking price of $7750.00   !!!!

Now if it was actually Moses's or Ben Hur's gun ...  ;) 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 11:51:29 AM »
Back to the original post and point, the OP calls to attention
 a USFA SAA that is a "CHARLTON HESTON PROTOTYPE COMMEMORATIVE" beautified by Turnbull for the asking price of $7750.00   !!!!

Now if it was actually Moses's or Ben Hur's gun ...  ;)

That is really funny  ;D   

My reference was to the looks of the revolver and not the asking price. I still think it is a terrific looking revolver.

Would I spend that much for it? Depends on how badly I might want it, and certainly not unless I was well enough off so that amount was like a very far lesser amount is to my current financial status.  :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 01:49:17 PM »

:)  Lou  ;)

There is no doubt USFA found THE MOST expensive method to manufacture their SA.  USFA also manufactured the most precise SA on the market.  To their doom.  At the price point, the guns should have been ready to play right out of the box.  They wern't.  It took a goodly amount of work to make them user friendly and useable for our game.

A much better choice for someone who wants to actually use their SA, whether for goofing off or competing in our game, a much more reasonable purchase was and is a pair of Pietta GW IIs.  Excellent, serviceable PAIR of guns for less than the price of USFA or Colt.  Colt, also way over priced and way under built.

As to your original post.  That is a superb example.  Absolutely the Biz.  Absolutely not worth just shy of Eight Grand, or if you will, add shipping and insurance and your right at Eight Grand.

People are still Contagious.  Avoidance is Suggested. 

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:03:20 PM »
It is a beauty, but the only way it's worth eight grand is if it was previously owned by Alec Baldwin.  ;D
(OK, OK, a little cold...my apologies).
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 11:34:07 PM »
I realize in the rarefied air of the collectors world, there seems to be some cache attached to an offering of USFA to be ALL USA.  Which frankly, I don't buy into.  I think it's dumb.  It makes no difference.  Either way, they are real fine SA revolvers........Bottom line is ALL USFA guns are just gussied up Uberti in the final analysis.
Patently false, to the point of absurdity. You obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. I know you have a real high opinion of your opinion but you're just flat wrong. The difference between the early and later guns is significant. Yes, the early guns are just gussied up Uberti's. The later all domestic guns, head, shoulders and tits above the early guns.

At the price point, the guns should have been ready to play right out of the box.  They wern't.  It took a goodly amount of work to make them user friendly and useable for our game.
Also makes no sense. Judging by the above, I'm not surprised. They're oversprung, that's it.

Would the word "Standard" have any connection??
Nope. That's rumor, denied by the folks at Standard.
SASS #81,827

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 01:07:58 AM »
Nope. That's rumor, denied by the folks at Standard.

I'm just a bystander here, but...I could be misremembering but haven't there been comparison videos where the Standard measured the same size as USFA/Uberti?  If so, why would Standard do that?

And to the OP, yes that is a terrific looking gun!

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:18 AM »
Maybe the same reason USFA did, I do not know.

But I have it on good authority from a writer that spoke with the president of Standard Mfg that they did not get their machinery or employees from USFA.
SASS #81,827

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »

Well golly.  I also have it on good authority, from a commentator, who spoke with the warden, that Charles Manson categorically denied his crime.

I have also never said the all USA made USFA weren't FINE guns.  They are.  However, when you have worked on as many of them as I have, you discover they do have warts.  they did/do require more than just "springs."  I have also stated, USFA guns were overpriced.  They were and now are commanding stupid money.

You are also entitled to your "opinion," right, wrong or indifferent.  Oh, and I also have it on good authority, the Machine tools from USFA were seen shipped to Standard.  What "they" did with them??  No clue.  But there is certain evidence . . .

Have Fun Out There

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com