Author Topic: load 38 spl. for my 72 OT ?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
load 38 spl. for my 72 OT ?
« on: December 26, 2021, 09:12:42 PM »
I have not loaded any pistol brass for years, now i wish to start loading (again) for my OT in 38 spl for target loads. I have plenty of brass, and that is a problem to me, i have both brass & Nichol w/ all different head stamps, some w/ 1 cannelure some w/ 2 cannelure, so i'm here to ask you OT shooters to school me. I will be using W231 powder. Have some 150gn. full wadcutters & some .158 SWC, (wish i had some .115gn) using what i got.
 So (head cast down, toe in dirt), what say Y'all.

I'll be having more coffee.  Hootmix.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: load 38 spl. for my 72 OT ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
I shoot mixed case brands using a 158gr. RNFT, loaded with either Trail Mix or APP. I also have a cache of loaded ammo from a club member loaded with 158gr. RNFT using Clays.
I have also loaded the same powders using a HB 158gr. wadcutter.

All seem to work well finding the target.

Sorry to say I have no experience with W231.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »
I have used a variety of powders for 38 Spcl, but not 231.  I have used that for .45acp, .45S&W and some others.  But all my brass is mixed.  I do tend to use nickle brass for BP and regular brass for smokeless.  Cannelures, I pay no attention, especially for pistol.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:50:15 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
 OK, so cannelures don't really matter? I have some FNLWC 150gn. "do" i seat these to crimp (roll crimp) in the top grove even tho the OAL is short. I have the 49th. Lyman Edition, and my bullets don't have the small tip, these are FLAT on the end. Am i over thinking this ????? 

Grandson, says,,, POP YOU NEED A COFFEE BREAK!!!  such a wise young man.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »
Well maybe overthinking a little, but then reloading is serious business so can't' be too careful!  Usually people crimp their bullets in the crimp groove unless there is some reason not to, like trying to make it longer to feed better in a rifle.  And some bullets don't have crimp grooves.  If your bullets do not push into the case of a loaded cartridge when you push hard on it, then it has enough crimp.  As long as you are loading mid to low level on the charts, the amount of bullet seated in the case won't make much difference.  And the shape of the bullets nose won't matter in a revolver.

As to brass cannelures, there are folks who have had brass case separations in their rifles, and the portion of the case that is stuck in the chamber is hard to get out.  They say that the cases separate at the cannelure, and so some folks will not shoot that type of brass in their rifles.  Most folks will never have that issue, but then it does happen.  I've always used mixed brass and never had it happen, but last year I loaned my carbine to a guy for the last stage since his rifle broke.  He was using his ammo and had a case separation.  A friend and myself tried a number of suggested techniques, even using a dedicated tool for that, without success for a few hours before we finally were able to drive that piece of brass out of the chamber.  So, these days I still shoot mixed brass, but if I am shooting all .38's I will try at the loading table to put the rounds with a cannelure into the pistols as much as possible.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »
I have used a variety of powders for 38 Spcl, but not 231.  I have used that for .45acp, .45S&W and some others.  But all my brass is mixed.  I do tend to use nickle brass for BP and regular brass for smokeless.  Cannelures, I pay no attention, especially for pistol.
I've never used Trail Mix for powder.............Don't the M & M's gum things up?!  (I know, but I had to go there..........)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
I've never used Trail Mix for powder.............Don't the M & M's gum things up?!  (I know, but I had to go there..........)

I know you meant to quote River City John.  But it got me to thinking about Trail Mix.  There is always plenty of that at the store, no shortages.  Hmmm...

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »
Yeah, I was on the lap top, and that stupid touch pad keeps messing me up.  Yes, Trail Mix is everywhere!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
GOOD CATCH, Ned!

Tried to peck out Trail Boss on the keyboard. I could blame it on Auto-correct, but I'm afraid that was pure home grown my fault.

Perhaps I was hungry at the time . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com