Author Topic: Help me search for thumb technique advice. (single hand)  (Read 1353 times)

Offline GreyVR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help me search for thumb technique advice. (single hand)
« on: June 27, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
Hello all,

About a year ago I was trying to get into the CAS sport. 2020 turned out to be a crazy year, and it didn't happen. Still, I had really wanted to try 'pistol in each hand" which I believe is called "Gunslinger Class."

I've done a few searches, and I'm not coming up with what I'm looking for, so maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. What I want to know is how the best guys manipulate the weapon, in particular cocking their revolvers one handed. I'm quite aware most people shoot one revolver at a time and cock with the weak hand, which seems quite effective.

I'm well aware anything you want to do well you need to do a few thousand times until it's engrained in your nerves, so perhaps you good folks could tell me what search words I ought to be using, or perhaps give me some direct pointers to instructional videos?

Most of the videos I seem to actually find are too general.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Help me search for thumb technique advice. (single hand)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:33:38 AM »
Gunfighter or  sometimes Double Duelist.

You're right, it's a lot of sitting in the easy chair watching Rooster Cogburn doing his "reins in the teeth" ride against Lucky Ned Pepper, all the while with a revolver in each hand practice dry firing to develop muscle memory.
At the range practice shooting duelist with each hand individually, then put them together.

It should go without saying, until you feel absolutely comfortable shooting one-handed with either hand safely, best not to try Gunfighter in a match. It's not only muscle memory, but eye - hand memory too.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
Get some snap caps for your pistols first.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:08:05 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »

:)  Hi GreyVR   ;)

I have only been shooting "GUNFIGHTER" for around 20 years.  What you are looking for actually doesn't exist.  There are no instructional goodies from which to draw.  Just other folks who already shoot that category/style willing to help.  There are also no real "Thumb Techniques" to draw on.  SO:

Your first step is to teach yourself to shoot with your "other" hand as well as you do with your "normal" hand.  You must be able to shoot with ABSOLUTE CONTROL with your "other" hand.  Then there are two schools.  Those who "double cock" and those who cock alternating.  You can and will get into a bunch of trouble double cocking.  You must also understand you must shoot the target arrays in EXACTLY the same sequence as mere mortals.

Explaining all of the ins and outs before you have shot a few matches will mostly not make a lot of sense.  The base point is you are no longer permitted to have a "weak hand."  You must be proficient with BOTH hands equally.

Stay Safe Out There

PS:  Before you start, read the rules for Gunfighter carefully.  Especially the part where both guns MUST be shot together.  Pumping the guns back and fourth, even though some ignoramus do it, is NOT permitted.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4856
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 07:19:56 PM »
I would suggest watching Jed I. Knight's videos on Youtube. While he is fun, he is also very good shooting Gunfighter.

And yes, weak hand practice is mandatory.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com