Author Topic: Tightening a TTN lockup  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Diamond Jake

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110306
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tightening a TTN lockup
« on: January 13, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »
Howdy.

I have a TTN 12 ga coach gun that locks up nice and tight vertically, but the barrels can wiggle side to side ever so slightly; barely enough for a strong light to be seen in the crack between barrel breech and receiver.  When I slipped a sheet of paper in there on the right barrel it locked up tight as a drum.

Has anyone had (and fixed) this problem?  I'm tempted to shim one side slightly with a shim as thin as aluminum foil.  I'm sure it's fine to use as is, but it bothers me that I can feel it wobble every time I shoot.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Tightening a TTN lockup
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »

:)  Diamond Jake   ;)

Hate to be the bearer of ill tidings . . . but.  NO.  Your TTN does not lock up nice and tight vertically.  Were it "nice and tight" the barrels wouldn't wobble.  At All.

Is this a new condition??  Did some Hack "tune" this gun to "go fast??"

This indicates a certain amount of wear or manufacturing intolerance at the lugs.  A.  The barrels are slightly "off face."  B.  The lugs do not fit snugly enough in the frame mortice.  C.  Too much play at the hinge.  Needs to go to a shotgun Guru for correction.

Stay Safe

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »
And on the other hand, many TTN's are a "little loose" like that and still work fine (mine included).  I do not notice it when shooting though.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:18:33 PM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
Howdy,

Midway had a youtube on "tightening the bite on an English shotgun". It also came up on the other cowboy site in a thread about slicking up a Stoeger. Watched it, then went after a slightly loose good Belgian hammer gun. Worked like a charm.

FYI
Rev. Chase

Offline Diamond Jake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:19 PM »
:)  Diamond Jake   ;)

...Is this a new condition??  Did some Hack "tune" this gun to "go fast??"

This indicates a certain amount of wear or manufacturing intolerance at the lugs.  A.  The barrels are slightly "off face."  B.  The lugs do not fit snugly enough in the frame mortice.  C.  Too much play at the hinge.  Needs to go to a shotgun Guru for correction.

Stay Safe

I have no idea how long it's been like this...I bought this shotgun used from a member on this site (sight unseen) shortly before Christmas, and have only shot it a few times.  The previous owner said he only shot it in a few matches years ago...the gun shows very little wear and no obvious signs of modifications.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 10:03:59 AM »

Does it wobble with Hulls in the gun??

Offline Diamond Jake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »
Does it wobble with Hulls in the gun??

I makes no difference if loaded or empty.

I found the following video on YouTube.  It's not me nor my gun in the video, but mine was almost exactly like this; no perceived motion when pulling up or down on the barrel/foreend, but when you moved it side to side you'd notice (more feel than see) a slightly wobble and hear a faint clicking sound.  I tried a piece of regular masking tape in the same place this guy put copper shim tape, and mine also immediately felt solid and I can't hear any more clicks.  It still opens and closes with the same effort as before.

I know this tape will quickly wear out, but tomorrow I'll go out a shoot a few rounds and if it seems right I'll try to find some copper shimming tape.

(I plan to shoot just light BP loads in this gun.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com