Author Topic: George Daw Double Hammer Gun  (Read 1695 times)

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
George Daw Double Hammer Gun
« on: December 22, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
On a separate discussion about double barrel shotguns, this gun came up and I thought I would put the information here as it is a very nice and interesting shotgun. It was made n 1867 and remains in incredible original shape with re-sleeved barrels.

Steven Dodd Hughes did an article on it several years ago for Shooting Sportsman and found out a bunch of information on it's history and pedigree. I have used the gun bird hunting and shooting cowboy action matches with it.

One of the amazing aspects of this gun is how innovative it is. We are familiar with center fire guns with cartridges, but this gun was so early in that development, it was ground breaking. George Daw had the patent on center fire cartridges with outside priming and had fought about it in a few court appearances. It also incorporated small coil springs on the internals which was a major deviation from the common leaf style springs.

The details in the construction of this gun is exceptional even by today's standards, but in 1867, it was the best of the Birmingham guns of that era.  George Daw was certainly an innovator and exceptional craftsman as he produced some of the finest guns you can find from a bygone era...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: George Daw Double Hammer Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
Very fascinating read! 
Could we perhaps trouble You to scan and post the remaining pages of the two articles on the Daw...?
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
Beautiful and interesting gun. Thank you for posting this info. I'd never heard of this maker.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:24 PM »

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
I have an 1876 with the George Daw adress  ;D
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »
Very fascinating read! 
Could we perhaps trouble You to scan and post the remaining pages of the two articles on the Daw...?

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »

:)  Oh WOW OH WOW   ;)

What an incredibly fine shotgun.  Absolutely YUMMY!!  You mentioned re-sleeved barrels.  Damascus barrels sleeved for modern ammunition perhaps??

And original wood.  Too many superlatives to list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com