Author Topic: I need some opinions - looking for a shot gun  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I need some opinions - looking for a shot gun
« on: November 09, 2020, 12:00:14 PM »
My wife and I have reached an agreement. She rescued another cat so, I get to buy another gun! I'm looking for a shot gun and it will primarily be a hunting/trap gun. My choices (so far) are Stoeger or CZ. I've seen a few used Stevens 311s at gun shows and liked the gun and the price. What do you think of my options?
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
Re: I need some opinions - looking for a shot gun
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
I've got Stoegers in 12 and 20 gauge. Both are excellent guns. I haven't shot the others, so can't make any opinions worth reading on them.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Stevens 311 are tough work a day shotguns, heavy clunky and my last choice. Don’t let price be the deciding factor.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:59 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »
Dan, I don't know a whole lot about shotguns (I have read and heard a lot more than I have experienced).  But I've heard several times that CAS shotguns and hunting/trap shotguns don't fit the same.  For CAS you are shooting mostly down and need more drop to the stock than guns that are shot up in the air.  So like the oft-stated axiom on new CAS gun advice, I'd say try to get your hands on some different guns and see how they point for you before buying anything.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »

PLUS ONE too Abilene.

Additionally, CAS use shotguns often have the Butt recut to a negative angle at the toe.  Again, for shooting flat or "down"

Additional Additionally, If you intend to shoot Trap, 20 inch barrel cylinder bore Coach guns really aren't going to be very effective.  Unless you shop guns with removable/changeable choke tubes.  Price is not necessarily your friend shopping shotguns.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
I agree that CAS and trap guns are not the same and for very good reasons.

If you are getting your first gun, and don't plan on a locker full, get a middle of the road field gun. It will give reasonable service on a trap, skeet or 5-stand range. 

AND FOR CAS! I have never felt handicapped at a cas match with a field gun properly handled.

As for choice of guns, and if cas is in the cards, you must have a side by side without ejectors. You will be ready for anything, including home defense.

PRACTICE!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:02:10 AM »
I'm still in the market for a good field-grade shotgun (side-by-side). My current scattergun is a 1956 J.C. Higgins bolt action. It was a Christmas present to Dad from Mom and I when I was 3 years old. Dad never hunted much, but during pheasant season, we'd have a bunch of people come out to the farm and Dad would take down the ol' 16 gauge and join them. (He always managed to get a bird or two) Now, I make sure to take "Dad" out every year for a walk in the field. We'll still go out together but, I'd like to get a nice double for my self. Any and all opinions, recommendations, or complaints will be given their proper attention. Everyone has an opinion and I'd like to hear as many as I can.
Dan

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
I havn't use a Shotgun in CAS in 8-9 years,,, (Shooting NCOWS 2 gun)

In fact just sold my TTn  :D  ( great for CAS BTW ),  Now ! if I had to get another scatter gun ( I don't) I know where a nice Field Grade LL Smith is at reasonable money. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »
Dan Gerous, In the original post, you mentioned you were looking for a gun primarily to be used for Hunting/Trap. No mention was made of CAS, so here's my two cents.  Years ago, I purchased a Remington 1100 TA trap.  That gun was used for trap, Pheasant Hunting, Deer hunting and Turkey hunting.  It has taken each of those game animals.  There is no gun more versatile with the ability to switch barrels by simply unscrewing the magazine cap, removing the fore end and pulling the barrel out.  The 870 and the 11-87 were just as versatile.  Before you mention the current state of Remington, I'd recommend finding a used gun anyway.  Barrels are readily available from a variety of manufacturers.

Sarge

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 08:38:23 AM »
I am a huge fan of the L.C. Smith shotguns, but they can get pricy.  Post WWII guns are good serviceable guns and are not as expensive as the pre WWII.  You can tell the post WWII guns as the serial numbers are FWSxxxxxx.  CZ also makes a good solid side x side, and most come with interchangeable chokes.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:57:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm leaning toward Stoeger and since I'm not as knowledgeable as the most intelligent group in the universe (that would be YOU) I'm open to anything you might wish to add. Heck, you could bury me in bovine excrement and I'd still give it a proper consideration!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
I mentioned my Stoegers earlier, but my 20 Gauge with 26" barrels just handles so nice for me for CAS  I would imagine it would be a great all-purpose gun.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Hi

Get the wife another cat, and get two.  Get a Browning over and under for Trap and a side by side for CAS.  A sort of lose lose proposition would be to get a 26 to 30 inch side by side from Cimarron with choke tubes.  I have one and like it ok, but I don't shoot much trap.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
[b]NO, NO![/b] No more cats! We've got Dash, the 17 pound "lump", Puck, the little orange ping-pong ball and now, Mary Beth the blind, deaf and toothless 12 yr old.  say "THAT'S ENOUGH! Of course, if another pathetic orphan comes along I'm as big a sucker as she is. Come to think of it, that would mean another gun so, maybe it's worth a thought. A LOT of thought

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »
Thanks Major, but I have my heart set on a side-by-side. The first toy gun I remember from my childhood was a double barrel and I'm reliving the good ol' days. (minus things like mumps, measles and homework)

Offline JOG

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
I live in southern Maine and we have one of the best gun shop on the eastern seaboard! The Kittery Trading Post. They always have a great selection of firearm's. Lever action and shotgun's. I was in there the other day and saw 5 or 6  LC Smith side by side shotguns. They had a old Remington that I liked.$900.00. Every time I walk in looking for ammo I walk out with a new rifle. Last week I popped in to see about some ammo. There was a JM Marlin 1895 cowboy in 45-70. Made in 2006 in unfired concision. Long story short it's mine. No 45-70 ammo to be found! Shotguns are flying off the shelf's around here. Remington 870's prices are going thru the roof. I try to buy only American gun's. Sooner or later a old American made Smith or Remington or Winchester in great shape will be mine! Good luck on your hunt for a shotgun!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »

:)  Up Again   ;)

I'd be in to second a recommendation for a CZ or for one of Daudson's guns.  Rather nice for an affordable price.

Just noticed Daudsons is not showing their Box Lock Double on their web site.  Curious.

Hide and Watch

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
Thanks Major, but I have my heart set on a side-by-side. The first toy gun I remember from my childhood was a double barrel and I'm reliving the good ol' days. (minus things like mumps, measles and homework)

aren't we all

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 10:34:58 AM »
Thanks one and all for your assistance. I think I've decided on a Stoeger Uplander with double triggers in 12 gauge. I'm going to wait though until the "Hong Kong Flu" goes away to go shopping. I'm really looking forward to hitting the gun shows again.
I was kinda hoping Professor Marvel and Coffinmaker would weigh in on this weighty subject. I'm sure their advice would be good, but mostly I just enjoy reading their posts!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com