Author Topic: Questions about competing with an 1858 cartridge conversion  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Questions about competing with an 1858 cartridge conversion
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
I have an 1858 with a Taylor cylinder. A few years ago they actually replaced it for me because using practice snap rounds peened the firing pins. They're delicate and for primers only! Seems accidentally dry firing would be really bad. When competing with these, do you folks remove one of the pins and use that as your dedicated empty chamber to avoid this kind of thing happening?

Thanks!
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Questions about competing with an 1858 cartridge conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »
Howdy Mose,

My Rem conversion cylinder has relief cuts to show the brass rims (and the empty chamber), so no I don't remove one firing pin. If you don't have the cuts, then removing one is probably a good idea. Plus, you'll have a spare if needed.

By the way, I have a couple of speed loaders for S&W 45 Colt modern DA revolvers that work great on my Rem conversion cylinder and my Schofields. I don't feel the need to be period correct at the loading table. I do enjoy the looks from the others at the table. I may have to research when speed loaders were originally invented. I'll bet that something was developed prior to 1900.

Rev. Chase

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »
Makes sense. I'm going to look into some little rubber thing I could put into the hole to save the hammer, too. I swear I have something that looks the part in the garage. Don't we always?
Looks like the pins are only 2-4 bucks, but why even risk damage to the ferrules, hammer, etc.
To date I've only ever loaded 6 rounds at a time, in front of me at the range, right before shooting. I've never done CAS before but am interested now and trying to figure out what makes sense— getting another 1858 and cylinder and going with that, or going with something simpler like a brace of '75s.
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »
... I may have to research when speed loaders were originally invented. I'll bet that something was developed prior to 1900.

Rev. Chase

Something was.  As early as the Colt Paterson, there was a cylindrical powder flask with 5 spouts for loading powder into all cylinders at once.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »
My Rem conversion cylinder has relief cuts to show the brass rims (and the empty chamber), so no I don't remove one firing pin.
I also made the cuts with a file. You then can load 5 and see where the empty chamber is. If you remove one of the firing pins, you have to remember to not load that chamber. That would have to be marked prior to any loading use. Filing the cuts makes much better sense. Load 5 and rotate the cylinder so the empty chmber is under the firing pin.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com