Author Topic: 12 gauge ammo question  (Read 1345 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
12 gauge ammo question
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »
Okay I have been watching videos of competitions and notice that Winchesters seem to be less cooperative of coming out of the doubles. Is this really accurate? Do some brands seem to extract easier?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 12 gauge ammo question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »

:)  Deacon  ;)

Depends.  NO, not the ones inna cardboard package.  Depends on the Gun, The specific Ammunition, The phase of the moon and didja hold yer tongue right.

Some Double guns will spit almost anything out.  Some not so much.  Some like smooth hulls (WW AA or Rem) and some like Ribbed hulls.  The shooter needs shop hulls for their particular guns.

Then you have the real true "competitors" whom hone and polish the chambers, Funnel Cone the breach and resort to exotic sprays to lubricate the hulls for super quick extraction.

So, in summation, the short answer is YES.  Some brands Shuck (extract) easier than others but there is no specific pattern as to which does which.  good luck.

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Thank you Sir! I figured as much but I am always trying to learn  by asking than peeing on the fence.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:32:26 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
Green Remington STS smooth hulls (and gold nitro) are favorites of reloaders for good shucking.  Winchester AAFL8 "Low noise low recoil" a.k.a. featherlites have been a favorite for many for ages, but in the last few years the QC has gone down and they often don't shuck so well.  A cottage industry has sprung up with combo shell checker/sizer tools for the guncart to correct that poor crimp issue.  Otherwise, what Coffinmaker sez.

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 06:21:23 PM »
Do either of you bother to reload 12 gauge? If so, what is your opinion of the Lee Load All as opposed to a MEC?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
I use a Lee Load All II, for my BP shells (in gold or green sts hulls).  Works fine, except I'm not crazy about the little primer feeder, so I have my primers spread out on the bench and after running the shell through the sizer/deprime station I place it over a single 209 and push down against the table to partially seat the primer in the hole, then move it back to the press to seat the primer.  I then dip my BP from a mug, then back to the press for wad, shot, and crimp.  Brass shells I just use the press for dropping the shot.  I have loaded smokeless on it, but not worth my time so I just buy my smokeless.  I'm not real fast, takes me about 30 minutes to load a box of BP shells.

I've never used a MEC so can't compare, but folks like 'em.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »

:)  Hi Deacon   ;)

Ima not gonna be a lot of help.  I don't shoot plastic hulls anymore.  When I did shoot plastic hulls I did NOT reload.  I found I could purchase WW AAFL8 could at that time be had "New In Box" at a price competitive with reloading without the hassle.

For the last Lustrum or so, I have been shooting All Brass MagTech hulls.  Different animal.  I do use a single stage Lee Classique to de-prime and prime the brass hulls.  The rest of the operation is all by hand but is really quite fast.  All Brass is All KOOL!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com