Author Topic: New model army, repro or real deal?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New model army, repro or real deal?
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
Hello, my stepfather has recently been cleaning out the attic and he came across this Remington New Model that he had forgotten was up there. It was given to him more than 20 years ago by his best friends wife after his passing. We both thought it was a reproduction but upon further inspection I have not found any Italian markings and I’ve never seen a repro that stamped the original markings on the barrel. Would appreciate you folks input on this as I am not an expert in this field, have only had Colts and have never had a Remington (repro or original).
Warning, it is in pretty rough shape

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New model army, repro or real deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:43:54 PM »
More

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 10:45:44 PM »
Grips appear to be Birdseye maple?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:24:04 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
I've never seen a repro with that many markings on it (cylinder, frame, trigger guard. I don't know if Remingtons had progressive rifling like the colts but if you took out the cylinder and saw that the riflings were gain twist then it's an original. Repros don't have stamping on the trigger gard (that I have seen). Look under the barrel where the cylinder pin rests for any proof marks. If it is the real deal it sure has a lot of bluing left on it unless it was reblued at one time. The serial # looks hand stamped. If the screws are metric then it's a repro. There may be more markings under the grips on the frame. I doubt the grips are original. They look so unworn. If it is a fake it is a fairly good one.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »
I just looked at a bunch of originals for sale with closeup photos and your pistol has all the same single letter markings. I think you have an original.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
I've never seen a repro with that many markings on it (cylinder, frame, trigger guard. I don't know if Remingtons had progressive rifling like the colts but if you took out the cylinder and saw that the riflings were gain twist then it's an original. Repros don't have stamping on the trigger gard (that I have seen). Look under the barrel where the cylinder pin rests for any proof marks. If it is the real deal it sure has a lot of bluing left on it unless it was reblued at one time. The serial # looks hand stamped. If the screws are metric then it's a repro. There may be more markings under the grips on the frame. I doubt the grips are original. They look so unworn. If it is a fake it is a fairly good one.

Here is a shot of the bore and the grip without the wood, the number is close but doesn’t match exactly to the barrel. Also appears to be a letter T

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 11:53:30 PM »
Here is a shot of the bore and the grip without the wood, the number is close but doesn’t match exactly to the barrel. Also appears to be a letter T

what a surprise for us today! Thanks for the help! Will have to get the rust off it before it gets worse.
Can someone tell me the date of manufacture based on it's serial being 901XX

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
This is a very interesting gun. You might have the real deal, there. You may be able to get information on your pistol from the Remington Historical Society. I wouldn't clean it or anything until you find out.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
Other than RHS you'll probably have a hard time tracing the serial number.  Remington produced 200 pistols per day for the Army and Navy during the Civil War.  Here are a couple of things about Remmy pistols:

Remington-Beals Army Model Revolver - Made 1860-1862; quantity made estimated 2,000-3,000; .44 caliber; six shot; eight inch octagon barrel

Remington Model 1861 Army Revolver aka "Old Model Army" - Made circa 1862; quantity made estimated 9,000 - 12,000; .44 caliber; eight inch octagon barrel

Remington New Model Army Revolver - Made circa 1863 - 1875; quantity made estimated 132,000; .44 caliber; eight inch octagon barrel

As you can see even Remington didn't know what was being produced and there was overlap. 

Good luck, I hope you got the real deal and I agree don't do anything to it until you know the value as is.

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »
I managed to get this chart from the Remington Historical Society, placing its production at 1864. As to concerns over cleaning, I have been collecting 19th century European Military Arms for over a decade and understand the need for a light touch. Just some oil and brass brush to take off the active rust will do.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
That's damn cool. What a find. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tula Berdanka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »
Thanks, I thought there were no such things as "attic finds" anymore!

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 09:55:13 PM »
That looks like the real deal, but it has been very heavily buffed and refinished. The grips are old replacements for sure. According to Ware's "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888", it was made around August of 1864. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the rifling should be gain twist, with slow twist at the breech and much faster toward the muzzle. Great find!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »
That looks like the real deal, but it has been very heavily buffed and refinished. The grips are old replacements for sure. According to Ware's "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888", it was made around August of 1864. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the rifling should be gain twist, with slow twist at the breech and much faster toward the muzzle. Great find!

Yess! what Trooper said - the refinish and new grips (probably done ages ago)  through my poor little brain off...

prf mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com