Author Topic: NEW SHOTGUN  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
NEW SHOTGUN
« on: March 27, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »

EXCITEMENT!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have a Brandy Knew Two Me Hammer Double onna Brown Truck headed my way just like a Cason.  A new Pietta built genuine imitation 1878 Hammer Double.  WAY KOOL!!  Pure EXCITEMENT!!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
Re: NEW SHOTGUN
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »
   Show and tell! Sounds like a new sub forum to me. Always liked when we had ?show and tell? day in elementary school but then I like museums and historical stuff. Here?s my new/old scattergun. A Marlin Model 17 12 gauge that according to my Brophy book was manufactured from 1906-1908. It was advertised as a less expensive solid frame version of their take down hammer guns. Marlin built these as Grade A guns with 30-32 in bbls, a 26 in Brush Gun and a 20 in Riot Gun. There were no B,C or D grade guns. Another of my grail guns. They sold for a whopping $21.00 one hundred and twelve years ago.
   My gun has been customized with some nickel plating. I?ve seen some ?97s done like this and thought that they looked good. I should hear from my ffl guy next week. This is my first solid frame so it may not be chambered for modern shells. Not to worry as I can use my cut down shells. The forearm looks terrible but I've got an original to replace it with and a box of parts if it has issues.
    Can?t wait to see your ktm blunderbuss there Coffinmaker.
   Been self distancing in my shop disassembling old gifted mystery shotgun shells for the shot but it looks like i can use the red wads too. Not the same wad as what I?ve got but I just loaded a few shells with them on my Bair reloader set up for my current Claybuster wad load and it worked. The shell turned out nice. Crimp might be a hair deeper than I usually have.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:42:04 AM »
Coffinmaker, saw in the other thread you mentioned it is the new Pietta and was a display gun for shows.  Are you getting it from EMF?  Hope they remembered to replace the firing pins  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:37:15 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »

;D  Hi Abilene   ;D

Yepper.  This is one of the newly minted Pietta 1878 Replicas EMF has been dragging around the country to all the yearly shows, including Shot Show.  Unfired, but probably open'd-n-close'd about a Bazillion times.  Should be nicely smoothed.

You do bring up a very valid point.  I started dickering for the gun while it was still "on the road" and spoke at length with the EMF Guru whom also mention'd he'd need to put the firing pins back in it when it came back from extensive display and fondle'un.  However I did forget to mention the firing pins when I had it shipped.  Allow me to cross my fingers.

Oh, yes.  I did acquire it directly from EMF.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
You should protect yourself and social distance from it by letting me watch it for you here in Missouri (three or four years should do it)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »

:D  Mogo   :D

Considering the current troubles, I will take your kind offer under "serious" consideration.  Just seems so appropriate for us to look out for each other.  My considerations may, of necessity, take some time.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
Here are the Coffinmaker's photos

Mike that is one pretty Hammer gun
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Very nice looking double there.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
Indeed it is!  How are the springs?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:32 AM »

;D  Thank You Kind Sirs   ;D

The gun is much nicer in person than it was it the Tin Types I first observed it in.  Very nice indeed.  As usual the gun is quite Over Sprung.  Main Springs belong on something Large with a 5th wheel and air brakes.  I will be resolving that as soon as my shop warms up a tad.

Chrome lined bores.  I also think the barrels are Hard Chrome rather than blue.  At announcement and on the EMF Web, the guns are touted with 20 Inch barrels, however this one has 21 3/4 Inch barrels.  Actually too nice to attack with sharp tools so I'll live with the too long barrels (for now).  I will be adding a Recoil Pad even though it is no lightweight.  Definate KEEPER!!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
I don't see the firing pins. Are you sure that they are there? ;D

Nice looking scattergun!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »

Hey CCG!!

I am happy to relate .. TA DA .. YES > the firing pins are in fact THERE  ;D

Soon as the shop warms, I are also gonna stuff the makings in some Brass Hulls and get ready to SHOOT IT!!!

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
Coffin,

I went to the EMF web site and the 1878 they showed had an un-sitely "Wyatt Earp" scrawled across the action. Your pictures don't show that (good for you). Do you know of the production guns have the name or are they going to be like yours?

Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »
DaveT, the Wyatt Earp shotgun is Pedersoli.  Cimarron calls it Doc Holiday and Taylors also calls it the Wyatt.  That one (expensive) is available without the name on the side, at least from Cimarron.  Expensive gun.  I think Coffinmaker has one of those, too.  I don't think EMF has the Pietta shootgun on their website yet.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »

;D  Let us allow that I should Elaborate    ::)

I'll answer EVERYBODY with the best information I have.  At this time, there is no TTN type shotgun offered by EMF.  Nada.  Zip.  EMF is currently offering TWO 1878 Replicants.  The first is/was the PEDERSOLI.  Some call it the Wyatt Earp, some the Doc Holliday (OK Corral) and it can be ordered sans any moniker.  The Pedersoli is Super Well made.  It looks on the inside like guns from the High End Bespoke gunmakers.  That good.  It is EXPENSIVE.  Taint Cheap but you get what you pay for.  I do have a Pedersoli.  Bought mine when they first came on the market and were on sale at Dixie gun works for silly money.  They (Pedersoli) cost a bundle more these days.

The PIETTA is on the EMF Web.  Currently offered plane jane for 1149.  When I first saw pictures of the new "Pietta" my first reflex was "That's a Pedersoli."  I was positive it was a Pedersoli in Pietta clothes.  I called EMF and they related it was Pietta all the way.  I was in no hurry for another Hammer Double until Shot Show.  There were three new Pietta guns up on the display all behind Alesandro Pietta.  Two had light colour'd wood and were plain.  The top gun had darker wood and appeared to have some nickel and some checkering.  A clearer picture showed the gun with a nickel Receiver and Checkering on the Butt Stock and the Forearm.  I immediately started to drool.  I also called EMF to ask if they had and "offer to buy" and they did not.  I offered "lets dicker" and was offered a price I couldn't haggle with and sent a down payment fourth with, or with force as it twer.

Through all of this, I was of the Opine the new Pietta is a Pedersoli.  Now that I have it "in hand" I am even more convinced it is a Pedersoli.  I stacked it inna guncabinet next to the Pedersoli and if it weren't satin nickel, I couldn't tell them apart.  Same same from the top and the hammers.  I have not as of yet had the side locks open (very soon) but the shotgun is either a Pedersoli or Pedersoli has sold machine tools and CAD to Pietta.  They are IDENTICAL.  That said:

The Pietta is a rather High End 1878 Replicant.  Super well made and without doubt outlast it's owner.  I believe it to be a Plane Jane Pedersoli.  Mine is a "One Off" intended for the show circuit.  It also has longer barrels than the production guns.  Mine is 21 7/8 Inches or thereabouts.  Too nice to attack with sharp tools.  I can live with it.  I production livery, the gun is about $600 bucks less money then a "name" Pedersoli.  I consider that to be a very good buy.  Burma Shave

Oh.  Pull up EMF.  Take a peek at the Pedersoli.  Take a peek at the Pietta.  Same same you betcha.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
My purdy marlin finally got checked out the other day and I’m afraid that I bought a solid frame turkey. The firing pin was broken, safety hammer sear MISSING, left extractor broken, buggered screws but the seller is refunding me 60.00 for the firing pin and safety. I have a box full of bits and pieces to tinker with so I have some other parts. I replaced stuff, swapped stuff around and polished the inside of the mag tube as the mag plug was getting stuck?, feeds my 2 inch shells ok. Replaced the ugly pump handle with a correct one. Still needs more tinkering. It unfortunately fell prey to my hacksaw, 18 1/4 is plenty long enough. Need to borrow my buds bbl facing tool again. It sure is a hard kicker. But the nickel polished up nice with Mothers Polish. More info soon.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
Nice     cool project
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »

;D  Kool Project you betcha  BUT

:o   Where is the Photographic Documentation to Corroborate the claims of the Perpetrator??  Hummmmmm  ::)

8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com