Author Topic: The Rossi Coach  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
The Rossi Coach
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
Just a fun video featuring what I consider to be the finest CAS double ever made:  the chrome bore, coil spring, mule ear, no annoying safety Rossi Overland Coach.  If you have one,  treasure it, for you will never see it's like again.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rossi+coach+gun&view=detail&mid=3AFB58C0868A3310E6DF3AFB58C0868A3310E6DF&FORM=VIRE
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline smokey04usa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Rossi Coach
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »
I'm fortunate to have 4 Rossi Coach Guns. 2 20 Ga. and 2 12Ga. I'm still looking for one more of each 'cause I have 3 Great Grandsons and they ALL want them.
Ya' know, when I go to KFC I have to get 6 drumsticks! You das't not fail to give'm all the same!!! In my younger days you might be lucky to fight for a foot! Nick

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02:30 PM »

I had one Oncest.  Let it get away.  That was dumb.  At the time I thought '97s were cool.  NOT.  Wish I still had the Rossi.  20 Ga.  Also, at the time I hadn't discovered Fiocchi 20Ga Trainer factory ammo (I don't reload plastic Shotgun) so the factory 20Ga beat me stupid.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:26:36 AM »

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »

Garcia Arms (Rossi) early 70s double barrel
? on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:46 pm ?

I tried a search a couple of times and didn't turn up anything on a Garcia Arms (Rossi) made double barrel hammer gun. I bought it new back in early 70s for $78 brand new.

It has 28 inch barrels. I could have gotten 20inch coach gun back then, but purchased what was on hand. It has to be the most accurate shotgun that I have ever shot. All of the screws in this gun pointed the same direction. The South American wood has a dark plastic coating. I can say it's durable.

A gunsmith friend of mine introduced to me clay pigeons shooting one day against his semi-pro over and under 12 gauge whatever. Me being new at this I surprised him with all of my hits. He commenced to try my Amaded Rossi hammer 12 gauge.....he was amazed at the accuracy of it. He couldn't believe a $78 dollar made in Brazil had the barrels put in perfect alignment of each other. An amazing gun to me.

Just wondered if anyone else had a Rossi double with hammers. Oh, the break open lever and the hammers are color case hardened.

Thanks for listening......44 centerfire

I wouldn't sell this gun for any amount of money....Oh, maybe I would lol! Haven't shot it in 30 years. Back then I used an old iron Herters loader for 12 gauge using red AAs, green Rem., and maroon Federals. Lot's of memory with the Rossi......

44centerfire

Offline riflee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »
I've got a Rossi double hammer gun long barrel. Best rabbit/pheasant gun I love to hunt with. Bought it from the hardware store in Butler Ohio around 1984 or so. It show some wear to the finish but mechanically it's still A-1.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
   I have a Rossi coach gun in 12 gauge that I am very happy with also.  I used Magtech brass shells stoked with black powder for cowboy action shootin' and smokeless loads for early season pheasants .  It's never failed me as long as I held up my end.  Always thought I would like to have a long barreled model too, but I'd bet they're pretty scarce.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 08:35:57 AM »
I bought a 12 ga hammerless rossi coachgun for my wife a gazillion years ago and I occasionally used it too but the stock is breaking and i would like a replacement. Rossiusa doesnt even list shotguns, so does anybody have a line on a replacement stock? I had it slicked up when I bought it, so it opens and cocks easily when you unlock it, shells fall right out, a great cas double.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »

Hi Biltmore  :D

I know/knew of two possibilities.  One is "Macon Gunstocks" in Missouri.  Has a duplicating router that can copy anything. 

Unfortunately, I have forgotten the other guy.  He is in either GA or TN.  Memory fails.

My other suggestion would be to remove the cracked stock.  Clean the Break of Oils and Grease, then force a good Epoxy into the break and clamp it with TAPE.  The Epoxy fit will be stronger than the original wood.  DO NOT use metallic fasteners.  Metallic fasteners are only semi permanent and will eventually cause additional splitting.

I would personally first fix the one I had, then have it duplicated.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 10:37:39 AM »
Thanks Coffinmaker, guess I?ll try that before proceeding with another stock. Was hoping that I could just find a replacement and swap them out. Only 2 Rossi coach gun listings on GB and they?re hammer guns. Another 2020 project.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
PM sent  BE   ....  I have tutorial on stock repair
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 04:26:23 PM »

:P  Butt, Butt, Butt ED!!!  Coach guns are SUPPOSE to have Hammers.  It's a requirement.  I think it's a requirement.  After all, all MY coach guns have real honest to goodness HAMMERS!!!   ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »
Guess I?ll have to do like Gunzilla and bolt a couple of for show hammers on my coach gun. I always thought having very short bbls was the criteria as opposed to most SGs of the period that had 30 inch bbls.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com