Author Topic: LeFever by Ithaca  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
LeFever by Ithaca
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »
Just picked up from a fellow CAS pard, a lovely Ithaca LaFever "Nitro Special" 12 gauge, SxS with barrels cut to 20"  neat gun, and points like a dream.  I know they were made by Ithaca from about 1921 to 1940 or so.  Anyone in the camp have experience with them?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: LeFever by Ithaca
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »
I picked one up about 15 years ago to use at Cowboy matches. Shows wear but still locks up tight and has nice wood. It has the original 30 inch barrels. I generally prefer hammer guns but sometimes a gun just calls to you. Been lightly using it since then and am pleased with the handling and it sure murders the shotgun poppers. I have only used moderate blackpowder loads of 65-70 grs of FF with 1 1/8 of #7 1/2s. My only issue was just recent. Had been using the hammer guns(without tang safeties) and was a little unused to pushing the safety off after closing the action. Had two failures to fire(first time ever) until I realized I had not pushed the safety off all the way. Mea Culpa. Corrected my mistake and the gun ran flawlessly the rest of the afternoon. I really like this LeFever and would certainly pick up another if the opportunity presents itself.

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »
I had one I cut the barrels down to 18 1/4", also cut the stock down.  It was 4 to 6" longer than minimum legal length.  I shoot my shotgun from the hip.

The problem I had with it was the metal that the forend attached to was too soft and would bend when I used too much energy opening the action.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:34 AM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
After responding to this thread it reminded me to take the old Lefever out for one last run this year. November shoot was the last for this particular club (Jackson Hole Gang)for the year and the Lefever sure didn't disappoint. After using "coach guns" my first years at cowboy matches, it seems lately I've been gravitating back to appreciate the longer barrel guns. Those 30 in barrels sure swung nice and I could care less they might add a few fractions of a second to my overall time ;) Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
Yep I've shot one at Cowboy trap for the last two years. Mine is not cut down, oddly it has a modified and a cylinder barrel instead of improved cylinder. I guess back then people could order them however they wanted.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
Used the Lefever at at a match Saturday. Wow. Once I figured out that you hold dead on the clay pigeon when it pops up it disappears in a puff of clay!  Nice ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
A real "working man's" double from the day, similar i believe to the Flues model. Mine is factory 28" full and modified. Points very well shoots great and smokes dem clays. I picked mine up at a local store for $325 on consignment. They were the economy line for the time, (1920's) but you would be hard pressed to find the same craftmanship and materials at $1500 today.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »
I've got one... still looks new, and also have the box that they shipped it to the original owner in.

It works well.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »
Fed my Lefever some brass cased BP shells at Railroad Flat annual match!  What a hoot!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
Shooting the Lefever at Railroad Flat last May!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Diamond Jake

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110306
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
My family has Nitro Special 16 ga that was made around 1925.  It belonged to my Dad. (Hey, today's Dad's bird.  He would e 102 if was still with us.)  I shot my first deer with it, and countless squirrels, rabbits, and pheasants.  I wouldn't dream of shooting it in a match; it's way to important sentimentally.  It's now in the care of my brother, and I occasionally ask him to bring it out when I'm visiting there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com