Author Topic: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting  (Read 152490 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
Howdy
Today  after work I grabbed my 87 shotgun and patterned it . I tried it at 25 yards and it wasn't very good . It is fun to shoot , but it won't work as a Turkey gun . I was hoping it would work at 25 yards OR less . But the pattern was to thin . Oh well I will use my 1878 double it has 26 inch barrels and TUBES , I have a set of Turkey tubes and it will reach out and touch ole Tom . Then it takes a few seconds for the smoke to clear . I love smoked Turkey .   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 12:50:46 AM »

There is nothing like old guns. They were here when we came, they will be here when we are gone. In the meantime we can enjoy them like the previous owners. I saw this George Daw SXS in the local SXS gunshop and had to have it. It is a 12 gauge hammer gun with a 3 digit serial number and made in 1863. This is real early in cartridge firing guns and especially in shotguns.

It is typical of English shotguns, very nicely made and engraved. It doesn't have rebounding hammers, which you would expect  when a gun is that early. The wood is gorgeous and the fit is perfect. It is a round body, back action gun which contributes to it's light weight and balance.

I found a book that was written by George Daw on his patents of 1864 and find this shotgun on the cover and described in detail in the book.

I took it turkey hunting a couple weeks ago and called a nice Merriam's of around 20 pounds in to the decoys and shot the bird with a single load of 7 shot in a 2 1/2 inch shell...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
Shrapnel
Thanks for posting pictures . Excellent bird with a beautiful ole shotgun . Thanks again .

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:28:07 AM »

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
I have a parker GH, 10 gauge, 27/8 chambers. It was my grandads, my brothers didnt want it, ive taken geese, and ducks with bismuth reloads, turkey, and others. RST, makes some loads that are very friendly to old shotguns. I also have a purdey made in 1890, that I won on a auction for a song due to sleeved barrels. If they could talk .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Howdy
I plan on early Squirrel Hunting next Saturday , opening day . And here's my weapon and Black Powder ammo loaded with #5 .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
Howdy
Trying my 87 at Quail hunting . I have spent the last two Saturdays looking for Quail no luck . I guess I need to head to Kansas ,need to hook up with Trap . Now as far as the short barrel 87 I think it would work fine birds . But it's short barrel won't work for Turkeys . Oh well I have my 1878 double with a26 inch barrel and Turkey tubes . Did I ever tell you that I love Turkey hunting .

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
My little brother wore out our vintage Knickerbocker SxS shooting dove and quail in about 3 seasons.  An old Sea Captain left the gun with my Grandfather in the 30s, we got it in the 60s, it brought home a lot of Pheasants for both mom and dad.  It just would not hold up to the high volume shooting my little brother was doing 4 boxes of shells a day missing dove and quail.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
I went on my first quail hunt not long ago.  I brought my 20ga 26" Rossi Overland,  I was even able to knock a few birds hout of the air with it!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »
Howdy
 Turkey season is only weeks away . I am in the process of coming up with a 1887 with a 28 inch barrel . I have my ammo from last Turkey season and plan on smoking ole Tom . Good luck to all the Turkey Hunters out there .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 07:51:48 PM »
Howdy
Well the long barreled 1887 deal didn't work out . So looks like my 1878 double barrel is back in action . I have a couple boxes of ammo left over from last Turkey season so my ammo is ready . hope everyone has all their Turkey Hunting gear ready for season .
Now it's time to gather up my Turkey calls and start practicing .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
Howdy
Here is a video on the emf 1878 long barrel .

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
I got one of those a few weeks ago.  I test fired a few shells through it and the shells stuck so much that I had to break it open over my knee.  I got a Flex hone for it and ran it through it this weekend, I'll test it again soon.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
Tornado; Could it be the firing pins sticking?  That happened to me with a Sauer boxlock.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
The only time I've experienced this is when the firing pins ( in this case the tips of the hammers) were rough, and slightly piercing the primers.  I removed the hammers, polished the pins round and smooth, and the problem disappeared.  This is on a double, BTW.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
Thanks guys, didn't think of that.  I will look into it this weekend.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
Howdy
What type of shotgun shells are you shooting ? Do they have aluminum heads or brass ? The winchester 's that have the aluminum heads were a problem .

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
They were the steel based Winchesters, I plan to run some brass based AA through it this weekend.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »
The combination of honing and using quality Winchester Featherlites AA shells fixed it.  The empty AA shell flew out like the gun had ejectors!  I tried the cheap steel based ones again and they still stuck, but not as bad as before.  The firing pins were nice and round and not piercing the primers.  Thanks for your help guys.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
Tornado
Hope your shotgun is back to blasting . Them cheap hulls suck .When I load my BP loads I use the Federal paper hulls . They work good for me . They have a real good crimp , the paper does .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
Howdy
Have done a little Turkey scouting  . Have spotted a few Tom's . Hope I can call them into shooting distance when season opens .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com