Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1272927 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Never been. When I was a kid ‘n they banned the turbines, for me, Indy died. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
The Museum at the track is great. Alot of former winning cars. and now a few Nascar since the Brickyard started.  My Dad was an Offy fan and when they first brought the small block Ford to the track. I am glad that I inherited his gearhead genes. Unfortunatley, I don't have anyone to pass them on to.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
It’s just me. Ain’t knockin’ anyone else’s opinion.

It was just the Indianapolis thing was supposed ta be the best someone could do with anything they could find. The stock cars have, since I can remember, been controlled. Makes for good racin’. Today excepted. That thing was Kyle Busch out on a nice ride in the country.

The only hi-perf, after market stuff the ole man would consider was Offy. Musta been some good stuff.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 06:33:25 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
The Museum at the track is great. Alot of former winning cars. and now a few Nascar since the Brickyard started.  My Dad was an Offy fan and when they first brought the small block Ford to the track. I am glad that I inherited his gearhead genes. Unfortunatley, I don't have anyone to pass them on to.

They have them special banks TL.  ;)
     Not makin light, but I believe the gene pool could use a little chlorine jus about now.   :)

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
Gene pool is strong, Leo. Be nice if the sideways shootin’, crotch grabbers would take one another out.

The grandboy ain’t three yet ‘n he’ll raise unholy hell if they switch off a ball game or a race. I reckon sumthin’ rubbed off.

He ain't no special kid. Thousands like 'im. He's just special ta me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2008, 10:16:51 PM »
Gene pool is strong, Leo. Be nice if the sideways shootin’, crotch grabbers would take one another out.

The grandboy ain’t three yet ‘n he’ll raise unholy hell if they switch off a ball game or a race. I reckon sumthin’ rubbed off.

He ain't no special kid. Thousands like 'im. He's just special ta me.

I see a lot a good when I look around, jus usualy trip over an idiot while my heads turned.  ;D

Not that I'm sumthin special, I jus want em all to be better than me.  They really take a turn when you admit your shortcomings in front of em.  Accountability should be the first word in the primary school reader.  Haven't figgured a good one for B yet...

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »
I have always been a gearhead. I stated riding with my Dad on wrecker calls when I was 3 years old. My Grandmother made me a pair of coveralls like my Dad's and sewed my name on them. I would stand up in the seat of that ol wrecker and hold on to my Dad's coveralls collar. I would cry at night if I did get to go, so I usually got to go to stop the cryin'.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »
When there is a football game on, no matter if it is High School, College, or NFL, Micah will yell, "Packers, Packers!"  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »
My 8 year old niece out in AZ is a nas car nut.  She has a favorite driver an her room is packed with memorabeelia.  She'll set thru an entire race with her Dad no problem--the man is in heaven  ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 09:39:40 AM »
Never been. When I was a kid ‘n they banned the turbines, for me, Indy died. 

It was a sad day for many of us.  'Specially Andy G.

But Parnelli and the first race was glorious - 'til that $2 part broke.  :(
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
I remember it was sumthin' minor. A bearin'?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
Yep! 8) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2008, 05:53:35 AM »
Granatelli was always ahead of his time

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »
Racing at Bristol TN today. Qualifying was rained out, so they go by points in the standings.  Bristol is known for a lot of "beatin and bangin" .   Lots of torn up race cars to be hauled back to NC.  Fabricators will be busy.  I hope the Gibbs cars do good. Hope JJ and wonder wimp continue to have their problems.  Good luck to Little E.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
First thing I want to say is congratulations to Dale Jarrett on a damned respectable career. I’m honored to say I’ve seen both Dale and his daddy, Ned, drive. The best of luck to Dale in the booth.

That said – I hope he has a good run ‘n keeps the 44 in the top thirty five so Reutimann doesn’t get screwed when he takes it over.

Thinkin’ there’s gonna be some real big time frammin’ ‘n bammin’ at the back for the thirty fifth spot in owners’ points.

Reach up ‘n pull them belts tight one more time. I’m pickin’ cousin Carl.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
That was probably the worst invocation I’ve ever heard.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
I always rooted for Ned when he raced. He would have won the 63 Daytona 500 if he had not ran out of gas.  I started watchin Dale in the Busch series. His victorys at Daytona were great, especially when Ned was callin the race.  My grand mother's maiden was Jarrett and that part of the family along with the King side came from Virginia.  Dale is atrue gentleman just like his Dad. He will be a welcomed addition to the broadcast booth.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
you know when I think of the Stock Cars back in them days,  I always think of Fireball Roberts, was it 63 or 64 he crashed,  guess I'll have to google it and see.
course in them days they didn't have all the saftey features of todays cars.  they've come a long ways.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
here's what I found

Edward Glenn "Fireball" Roberts, Jr. (January 20, 1929 – July 2, 1964) was one of the pioneering race car drivers of NASCAR.

Roberts was born in Tavares, Florida, and raised in Apopka, Florida where he was interested in both auto racing and baseball. He was a pitcher for the Zellwood Mud Hens, an American Legion baseball team, where he earned the nickname "Fireball" because of his pitches, not his driving style, which is sometimes disputed. He enlisted with the Army Air Corps in 1945, but was discharged after basic training because of asthma.

Roberts' 1962 Daytona 500 winning carHe attended the University of Florida but raced on dirt tracks on weekends. In 1947, at the age of 18, he raced on the Daytona Beach Road Course at Daytona for the first time. He won a 150-mile race at Daytona Beach the following year.

Roberts continued to amass victories on the circuit, despite the changes in NASCAR as it moved away from shorter dirt tracks to superspeedways in the 1950s and 1960s. In his 206 career NASCAR Grand National races, he won 33 times and had 32 poles. He finished in the top five 45 percent of the time. He won the 1962 Daytona 500.

On May 24, 1964, at the World 600 in Charlotte, Roberts had qualified in the eleventh position and started in the middle of the pack. On lap 7, Ned Jarrett and Junior Johnson collided and spun out and Roberts crashed trying to avoid them. Roberts' Ford slammed backward into the inside retaining wall, flipped over and burst into flames. Witnesses at the track claimed they heard Roberts screaming, "Ned, help me!" from inside his car after the wreck. Jarrett rushed to save Roberts as his car was engulfed by the flames. Roberts suffered second- and third-degree burns over 80 percent of his body and was airlifted to a hospital in critical condition. Although it was widely believed that Roberts had an allergic reaction to flame-retardant chemicals, he was secretly an asthmatic and the chemicals made his breathing worse.[1]

Roberts was able to survive for several weeks, and it appeared he might pull through, but Roberts' health took a turn for the worse on June 30, 1964. He contracted pneumonia and sepsis and slipped into a coma by the next day. He died on July 2, 1964.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
I remember Fireball's #22 orchid colored Fords.  He drove Smoky Yunick's Pontiac , also #22 which a Black/Gold 62 Pontiac Catalina.  In 62 Firestone did a tire test for stock cars at the Indianapolis Speedway.  Fireball, Paul Goldsmith, and Joe Weatherly were all driving 62 Pontiacs for the test. To my knowledge, that was the only time that Stock Cars were on the track at Indy until they started the Brickyard 400 in 94.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com