Author Topic: Henry Rifles  (Read 26446 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Henry Rifles
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »
I don't worry about the IPSC shooters in cowboy boots.  When I'm on the firing line, I'm in my own old west world.  I shoot in the Elder Statesman category as a duelist.  If I miss a target, I'll stop and say to myself out loud, "How in hell did I miss that?" then I continue on.  I don't give a rats behind what my score is, I'm there to live out my cowboy fantasies.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »
BCLD good on you, same here ;D do it because i love the guns.
Buffalochip

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 05:34:14 AM »
Precisely, there to have fun shooting , not to be all wired up over 10 ths of a second and trick of the month.

I find NCOWS suits my fancy ,  targets size vary,  as do distances , generally further ... speed is not a dependent , thought timers are used for a final tally.
Laid back , fun and relaxing.... IMHO what shooting fun should be...
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:45:54 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
Reading through this thread I see a lot of you had the same reaction to the general direction of SASS and CAS back in the 1990s that I did. I dropped out in 1994 for this and other personal reasons (I was starting my own business). Time and money was limited and the "IPSC in Cowboy boots'' aspect of CAS ended it for me.  

Since getting interested in the guns again I've learned about NCOWS, which started that same year. Had I known about them I might have stayed involved as I was strictly a BP shooter and very interested in historical authenticity/accuracy. Since the flood has taken out that bridge (LOL) I've come back to my old interest but can't compete again because of some serious disability problems. I still love the era and the black powder cartridge guns it produced.

I'm grateful for sites like this one that allow me to be in contact with like minded people. It's a kind of blessing. Thanks for being here folks!

Dave

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
I don't worry about the IPSC shooters in cowboy boots.  When I'm on the firing line, I'm in my own old west world.  I shoot in the Elder Statesman category as a duelist.  If I miss a target, I'll stop and say to myself out loud, "How in hell did I miss that?" then I continue on.  I don't give a rats behind what my score is, I'm there to live out my cowboy fantasies.

I like it a lot.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
Precisely, there to have fun shooting , not to be all wired up over 10 ths of a second and trick of the month.

I find NCOWS suits my fancy ,  targets size vary,  as do distances , generally further ... speed is not a dependent , thought timers are used for a final tally.
Laid back , fun and relaxing.... IMHO what shooting fun should be...

I was interested in NCOWS when I acquired my first pistol but there isn't a chapter near me. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »
Way Back in the Way Back (Peabody and Sherman anyone??) I were one of the "Go Fast or Die) crowd.  I also happened to build really
fast competition toggle Link Rifles and tune Pistols to run like an automatic, only faster.  Then ........

I had an altercation with a Hospital.  When I was finally released, I had to retire.  Twaz 18 months before I could shoot with two hand
again.  I discovered something.  The faster you go, the shorter amount of time you have ..... having FUN.  I went to BP and Cap Guns
with Henry (1860) rifles, Hammer Doubles (a '97 just ain't cowboy).  The fun factor just went through the roof.  Joyux Noel as it
twer.

six years later, Cap Guns, Hammer Doubles and HENRY rifles.  Pure FUN!  this game is suppose to be FUN.  The way it's (CAS) set up,
everyone can play their own way at their own pace.  I have only been "bugged" by some near do well that I needed to re-load faster.
He wisely never ever bugged me again.  Something about a long barrel pistol up his you hu changed his mind.

Please understand.  This is not an endorsement  of the Henry Big Boy.  Very hard to make it run well.  If ever.  But an 1860 Henry can RUN
and be an enormous amount of fun.  Just don't put the pointy end in first  ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
I am enjoying this thread!

Last night, after a work party at the range, two of us had a CAS practice.  I intend to shoot cap and ball and my Henry this season, so I had my brand new Pietta 1851's and my Henry 44-40, and my 1887 lever 12 gauge out for a work out.  I had taken the new revolvers to the range one snowy late early spring day and I was delighted with how well they shot and functioned.  But because the CCI caps I use were too loose on the factory nipples, I replaced all the nipples in them and my two spare cylinders.  I ;bought the nipples from TOW.  Last night I did not have a great time.  Of the twenty chambers I had loaded, only 1/4 of them would fire.  In short, they are too short - by about .011" as I found out when I got home.  I have two choices as I see it...remove metal from the inside of the hammer or from the contact surface of the frame, to allow the hammer to come .011" further, and contact the cap.

The Henry functioned perfectly and is deadly accurate...a lot of fun to shoot.  The Winchester doesn't miss either.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
I was trying not to respond to this as the original topic was about the Henry, but you guys made me laugh with the comments about the current state of SASS. I also am in it to indulge my cowboy fantasy. Where else can I walk around wearing my spurs, two sixguns and shoot blackpowder?  ;D Don't care about the score, either, as long as I feel satisified when the day is done. At a recent shoot, some of the "gamers" were shooting loads so light the sound was comparable to that of their lever being worked on the rifle. To each his own, I guess but that doesn't interest me. Not here to criticize anyone, nice shoot coming up this weekend where there is a nice mix of target distances. I can already smell the blackpowder! ;)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »
Back in what seems like the dark ages (pun intended) I was competing with my 1st Gen Colts, shooting duplicates of the original BP loads in performance. The IPSC in boots crowd used to complain my loads were too hot 'cause I knocked over their too close targets. I always told them a real 1880s Westerner who saw and heard their diddly loads would probably walk away laughing. Wasn't trying to be mean, just honest. 25-30 years later I still think the same thing. (smile)

Dave

PS: Just looked at this again and it comes across harsher that I intended. No offense meant. Just expressing an opinion I've had for a good many years.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »

I am a SASS shooter and lately have been either shooting Frontiersman or Frontier Cartridge because I live for the smell of the black powder (Gun Powder) smoke.
A pair of open top revolvers in, what else, .45 Colt and either an 1860 Henry converted to .45 Cowboy Special that pretty much duplicated the original .44 Henry rim fire load or an 1866 improved Henry using .44-40 cases fire formed to .45 Colt. That thin case neck does a good job of sealing the chamber. A lot of work to make, but you got to shoot them to fire form them. I guess it is called practice.
My CAS range is a short 3 miles from my house and that really makes it handy. At my age I have no interest in the competitive side of a shoot since I would be shooting against people as much as15 years younger than I am, but just to shoot the best as I can, enjoy the others who share the fun, and try to finally get a clean match.
That is, I suppose, the hope that springs eternal within the human breast.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
When I first heard about CAS a few years ago I thought it looked like a lot of fun. Recently I looked into it more when it thought of actually participating. The fact that the nearest group was a couple hours away out a bit of a damper on it, but then when I read about everything else involved it lost its luster. NCOWS sounds a bit more appealing, but due to some health and funding issues, I'm mostly shooting .22 these days, and of course .22 isn't allowed even though you can get some damn good looking .22 "cowboy guns."

Seems to me we need yet another group, where the focus is playing cowboy, and let the rest of the rules be damned. Not everything needs to be a competition. We've got enough of those in life!

Edit: I should note the only big bore gun I have now is a Henry .44 I picked up used yesterday for a great price. It's a heavy beast, but a lot of fun to shoot. Too bad ammo is as expensive as it is!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »
I am not sure what my age category is because it seems I have out lived them all. I shoot Frontier Cartridge Gun Fighter or Frontiersman with a pair of "Goonized" 1860 Army revolvers, a Uberti 1860 Henry converted to shoot .45 Cowboy Special and a double barrel outside hammer "give Doc the shotgun" style 12 gauge all loaded with original Gun Powder and lay down the smokee. I may not be fast, but I am accurate and have more fun than should be allowed.
My cleaning system is fast and easy so shooting the so called nasty Gun Powder is no chore.
Just remember
Load 'em heavy boys they air a'comin
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
When I first heard about CAS a few years ago I thought it looked like a lot of fun. Recently I looked into it more when it thought of actually participating. The fact that the nearest group was a couple hours away out a bit of a damper on it, but then when I read about everything else involved it lost its luster. NCOWS sounds a bit more appealing, but due to some health and funding issues, I'm mostly shooting .22 these days, and of course .22 isn't allowed even though you can get some damn good looking .22 "cowboy guns."

Seems to me we need yet another group, where the focus is playing cowboy, and let the rest of the rules be damned. Not everything needs to be a competition. We've got enough of those in life!

Edit: I should note the only big bore gun I have now is a Henry .44 I picked up used yesterday for a great price. It's a heavy beast, but a lot of fun to shoot. Too bad ammo is as expensive as it is!

Would you cut your grass with a Weed Eater ?  well you could , but your are gonna be there awhile  :P
Would you play Badminton with a flyswatter ? suppose you could , but it ain't the right racket/tool

Same with a  Henry big boy .44 .....You can use it in SASS , not the best tool though ( good gun just not for that game )
In NCOW's we just didn't approve it , end of discussion.

There are several 22cal. based disciplines, in fact SASS & NCOW's allow for youngsters to compete in Buckaroo and Youth classes.

The thing about " yet another group "  .

Group " noun = a number of individuals assembled together or having some unifying relationship.

So to that end ....first  "YOU" need to find several like minded folk's  that see and conform to your vision.

SASS did that 30-35 years ago ....NCOWS approaching some 25 years ago.... both are swimming along with their currently generally accepted rules.

I wish you luck with your group  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
At first it was IDPA for self defense practice with a 1911 and 230 grain hard ball. The club I belonged to and where I usually shot became very competition oriented rather that common sense scenarios and I lost interest. Unfortunately for me another club that had very good shoots lost their range.

Then came IPSC (impractical pistol shooting club?) at my home club and was fun just a lot of run and gun stuff, but not very defense oriented. I became disenchanted with the race guns that held a bucket of bullets and unpractical holsters. So much for IPSC.

I am very happy with SASS and hope they do not let the spirit of this game go down the tubes like Col. Coopers originsl Leather Sap that became IPSC did.

Here I can shoot and enjoy with like minded people using the Black Powder percussion guns, an 1860 Henry (Uberti) and have fun reliving the days of the old west. It is my fervent hope that SASS keeps that spirit alive. I don't have to look around it is "my group"
Hold center
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like yet another person who wanted to change the rules to accommodate me. I was just lamenting that lots of adults have wished that there was something like SASS that was a bit more flexible for those without larger budgets. But I suppose then I'd be upset when people would want to do it in their baseball caps and t-shirts because they "can't afford cowboy clothes I'm never gonna wear anywhere else!"

Just griping. :)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Tbone13

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »
I have a Big Boy Steel .44 carbine. It has a very crisp trigger, I put a peep and a higher front sight on it and it's a short, handy rifle to have around now.
The walnut is nice and it's action is smooth.
Overall I love that thing.
Henry makes nice rifles. They are selling side loaders now, but mine is the tube only.  You don't have to force each round down the tube so it's easy on the fangers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com