Author Topic: Watched "Desert Shooter" comments  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Watched "Desert Shooter" comments
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
Caught this one on the Encore Westerns Channel and like it enough that I am going to buy it from Amazon.com. I ordinarily wouldnt consider Michael Dudikoff as a western hero but he did real good. Lots of unique guns with Remmys, Schofields, Colts, and some rifles. One of the rare times Randy Travis is a villain and decent storyline make this one worth a look in my book. RC
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
Re: Watched "Desert Shooter" comments
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
Went on Amazon and hunted this up for purchase. Dont know exactly what is up with this title as it played on Encore Westerns channel listed as Desert Shooter. Recorded it on my dvr and title shown in the film is Deadly Shooter. When found it on Amazon it is just listed as Shooter. It seems to be in short supply but it really is worth a look. RC

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
First, let me say that I have owned a German format of this movie (which I sent to a ex-German foreign student when I found it didn't work on my DVD), a copy taken from a TV showing of it, and now own an original print of the movie .....

I enjoyed the Schofield parts .... and it is probably historically correct .... but the hero just didn't seem believable, and everyone was just too 'clean' for a western town in the 1870's-1880's.

And although I enjoy watching it everyonce in a while, the whole movie reminds me of the scene in the Clint Eastwood flick where the camera is looking up at Mr. Eastwood's face and captures a 747 contrail .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:14:59 PM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:23 AM »
Howdy Regret, I've known about "The Shooter" for a while and I couldn't find it on dvd so I let it go. Then just this month alone I managed to pick up a copy made in Portugual.
I like this movie. I think Michael Dudikoff portrayed Atherton with a sense of vulnerability that quite frankly we don't see in very many western heroes. The music really set the mood quite well too. All in all it's a very low key tribute to the Spaghetti Westerns of old.
Keep an eye out on amazon for its availabilty.
A work in progress.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Hey RTR,
    I am glad to know that I am not one of the only guys (or gals) that liked this one. I do admit that pretty much everything in it looks brand new but I like the variety of weaponry. From the Schofield 45, the Remington 1875 Outlaw, SAA's, even the soiled doves little pocket pistol. If you really appreciate the old Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns try out the new one with Emilio Estevez. I think it's name was Dollar for the Dead. Lots of crazy stunt shooting and it also seems well stocked with a variety of Italian artillery and is definitely not the type to end up on my hated it list.
                                                                                          Regret

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
Hey RTR,
    I am glad to know that I am not one of the only guys (or gals) that liked this one. I do admit that pretty much everything in it looks brand new but I like the variety of weaponry. From the Schofield 45, the Remington 1875 Outlaw, SAA's, even the soiled doves little pocket pistol. If you really appreciate the old Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns try out the new one with Emilio Estevez. I think it's name was Dollar for the Dead. Lots of crazy stunt shooting and it also seems well stocked with a variety of Italian artillery and is definitely not the type to end up on my hated it list.
                                                                                          Regret

I'd love to pick up Dollar For The Dead but I'm havin' a hard time finding it on DVD. If you know where one can be found then please send me a reply.
A work in progress.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
I ran into a similar problem with one of my favorite westerns, 'The Wonderful Country'

It had never been released as a video or DVD.

So 'someone'  recorded it on my Direct TV reciever, then 'someone' taped it onto a VCR, and then another 'someone'  transferred it from VCR tape to DVD ...

By the way, my first Desert Shooter was in German format and would not play in my USA DVD

My second Desert Shooter DVD was in US format and works just fine ... so they do exist ... one just has to keep searching for it ...

BTW, Amazon has videos of this movie from $4.34 on up ... you could buy a really clean video, and have 'someone' Tranfer it to DVD for you ... then get an image of the marquee from the internet and make a cover for the jewel box for the DVD ... just a thought ....

Regret; it was released under three English titles; 1.)The Shooter, 2.) The Deadly Shooter, and 3.) The Desert Shooter ... don't know why ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com