Author Topic: An excellent paper cartridge kit. And some other stuff for paper cartridges.  (Read 7956 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Oddly enough I found that a typical pocket size wood match box can fit five .36cal cartridges from prior experimenting.
I'll just print out some size adjusted period covers to wrap them. I know sliding drawer-type is not a correct conveyance, but what the hey, they'll work. Besides it's a better use for the box containing those sorry excuse of a strike anywhere match they put out now with that crappy green tip.

Mogorilla, I'll field test them at the NCOWS National coming up in June.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
KVC has a small shoot this weekend, then the Jerry Barnes shoot May 1.   I am 100% shooting them this weekend and not sure about next weekend.    I am still up in the air on what to shoot at Nationals.   I am definitely thinking that I will be shooting them at the Grand Muster.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
I'll see you at the Jerry Barnes 2-Gun Shoot too, then, along with Yuma Kid.

I have a craft paper cutter that punches 3/4" circles. That should be enough to cover the open span in that collar of the former. 

Somehow ended up with an industrial size bag of large paper coffee filters. Next stop is hardware store to get stump remover for a potassium nitrate source.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Observation:  Been loading dragoon cartridges.  Have now found that if I'm loading round ball cartridges I don't even get the knife out anymore.  I just roll them close on the bottom, glue on the end, then drop powder and ball and twist.  For the Dragoons I roll the ball on the glue stick as the paper is not long enough to twist, but works great that way too.  The only time I cut now is when I'm loading conicals.  Also,  I have found that a 5/8" circle is neater and leaves fewer rings than using the 3/4" circle.    This is a great kit!

Still waiting on that Nobel prize for the inventor of the glue stick.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Had to spend some time off this morning, so tried to be productive.    Made some boxes for the paper cartridges, one for some 45-70 cartridges and the start of a knife sheath, just need to paint it.   

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
That looks like a good morning.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Loading the Eras Gone .36 Colt Cartridge Works bullet today, found another short cut:  The most fiddely thing about these is finessing the glued bullet heel into the trimmed case, as opposed to simply dropping a ball into an uncut case.  But a thought occurred.

So, cut a ciggarette paper in half, then apply glue to one edge and roll it on the former, close enough to the bottom end to not need trimming.  Glue on the end cap.  With the long untrimmed case standing in the die, drop in the powder.  Roll the heel of the Eras Gone bullet on the glue stick, then simply drop it into the untrimmed case.  Squeeze it down firmly on to the powder.  Remove the cartridge from the die and roll between fingers to ensure tight adhesion of the heel to the paper.  Now, lay the cartridge on its side on the table and put a knife edge into the bullet groove, and roll the cartridge along the table with the knife.  This cleanly cuts off the excess paper, and you've got a nice, clean edged and powder tight cartridge.

This also works with the .44 Johnson and Dow bullet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com