Author Topic: 1871 Army rolling block  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Fazer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1871 Army rolling block
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
I'm new here and sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but it seemed the closest I could find.

Does anyone know what holsters they used for the Remington rolling block pistols, both Army and Navy. I can't say I have ever seen one. Or did they just use what ever holster it would fit in.

Thanks

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1871 Army rolling block
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
Here's what Google found for me:
http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/Home.aspx/Catdet/16855?nm=us-m-1866-remington-rolling-block-navy-holster&category=Group&bread_last=%2FHome.aspx%2FCatpage%2FGroup%3FGroupType%3DHolsters%26psize%3D100%26sortseq%3DName%26type%3DGroup&category_desc=Holsters%2C%20Belts%2C%20Hangers%20etc#.WEdk5SznZpM

Says it is a Navy model, I'd guess that the barrel would protrude from the open end of the holster( or "frog"), I guess the navy didn't worry about sitting down in the dirt and plugging the muzzle. I suspect for Army use, it would be a longer, closed end version.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
Navy holsters for the 36 Revolvers also had the end of the barrel stick out the bottom of the holster.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:33 AM »

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
I have seen references that they were referred as Pistol Frogs.  at least in the CW.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »
Both "pistol" and "revolver" frogs were used by the USN during the late flint, into the percussion and early cartridge periods.
Pistols were single shot muzzle loading or cartridge firearms.
Revolvers were, of course, multi shot revolving handguns.
Navy holsters/frogs and/or "buckets" were intended to only secure the firearm to the waist belt during GQ or battle. Weapons were always turned back into the Armory or QM aboard ship after the action. The USN did not need the full covering effect land forces need for their side arms.
Vol. III of " American Military Equipage, 1851 to 1872" by Todd, has some very nice illustration of Naval equipment. Including two types of "revolver' frogs that were common. One for Colt's and another one for Remington's.
I hope this information helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk