Author Topic: Cheyenne Thread  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheyenne Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 10:06:32 AM »
Buck- when you say "money belt" what do you mean? I thought a money belt had a hidden compartment for folding money.
And, how about those spur leathers.  I've made one pair, no tooling, and I'm not happy with them.  The wide/larger half has the buckle sewn on and two slots and the smaller half has the tongue/belt that runs through the slots and is buckled.  The buckles on the outside so the wide part is visible.
1. I just sewed the buckle strap to the top of the leather but I'm not certain if that was correct- it looks like some folks run it through a slot.
2. Concho- I've seen the ladder back on You Tube demos but was wondering about a center post., You would have to remove the button from the spur and use a bolt.
3. Spurs. The old Cowboy spurs had a fixed upward extension for the button, now a days they are hinged- I don't know why.
4. I wanted to attach curb bit chains under my boots- not sure how to do that, the "hangers" I can't figure out how to attach them.
5. Real world experience.  Of the two styles, the one mentioned and the other where the small half has the buckle and the large half the belt or tongue- which do you prefer?
All help appreciated.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 05:48:33 PM »
Davem,
Most folks are confused by the term "money belt".  Original money belts of the period, were not intended for paper money.  They were used with gold or silver coin.  These belts were made in several standard widths.  The one I offer with a single row of cartridge loops, is a 3" wide belt.  I also offer a 4" wide belt with a double row of loops.  The 3" as shown in my photo, starts out as a 6" wide piece of  li leather, folded over to create a 3" belt.  Billet, buckle end and cartridge loops are sewn to the face of the belt.  Then it is folded over to make the 3" width and the main seam is sewn along the full length of the belt.  This forms a hollow tube the full length of the belt body. There is a slot cut in the belt through both layers, under the front edge of the buckle.  Coins are dropped inside the belt through this slot.

Spur straps can be made in a variety of styles.  The ones in the photo are most often referred to as "Gull Wings".  They are one piece, without a buckle.  These are my spurs and I prefer the gull wing pattern, so that is the style I made for this pair of spurs.  I like these 1870-1880 style spur leathers. The silver conchas do not have screw backs.  They have a heavy standing loop soldered to the back, which is also made of silver.  There is a short tear drop piece of leather cut to fit the spur button, which slides through the standing loop and riveted to the strap under the conchas.  Unless you are familiar with this type of attachment, this will be very difficult.  If your spurs don't already have metal chain hangers, I don't see any way to install them on your spurs.  Hangers are attached during the manufacture of the spur.  It is attached before the button and stud are put on the spur.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 10:30:18 AM »
Thanks- appreciate your input.  The only thing I could think of on the hangers is to have a split that you bend apart- put over the stud and then bend back. Either that or drill out the stud and replace- either is a lot of work.  Thanks on the leathers. Off hand it seems a lot easier to make them with the buckle on the "small" half.
In looking at old vintage phots, it seems a lot of leathers weren't the dove wing at all, just a wide band.  The spurs didn't have the button on a hinge- just an upward tab, and there were slots for the chains.
While we are on this topic, some spurs are wider (top to bottom) than others. Any reason? Do the wider styles stay in place better?  Years ago some spurs on the arm going back to the rowell had upward curls. Some guy say it was to prevent your blue jeans from getting down on the spurs but I figured they were used to dig into a bad, bucking horse.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:19:33 AM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »
There were literally dozens of different spur styles.  The spurs and Gull Wing straps that I described are very early 1870-1880 cowboy style.  These styles were still made well into the 20th century, but many new designs were also developed in the late 19th and early 20th century.  Some of these had chain hangers, and some did not.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 10:30:24 AM »
Thanks

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »
Here's a 5 1/2" Cheyenne holster and a money cartridge belt that I sent to a customer a few months ago.

Buck,

The layout of that picture and of course your work is just outstanding. Like the rest of the guys here, I’d LOVE to see more of your leatherwork. Always inspires me to get better!

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »
i made this one for my .45 Kirst converted new model. It's constructed from 6/7 oz veg tanned with a 2/3 oz lining leather.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2022, 11:02:00 PM »
Jack, that's a good example of a West Texas half-skirted holster. I still have yet to make one but they're totally cool. The closest I ever came to this style is the Dodge City style. Looks very good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 01:18:20 PM »
Real nice, I also like the belt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com