Author Topic: Converting '94 30-30 to 38-55  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Converting '94 30-30 to 38-55
« on: November 11, 2004, 09:34:59 PM »
I am considering ordering a 38-55 octagon 26" barrel to replace the 30-30 barrel on my Win '94.  Has anyone done this successfully?  I am not a gunsmith, but I have been led to believe it is pretty simple.  Need advice.  Numrich has them for $114.95.   Lot cheaper than new iron.
Thanks,
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: Converting '94 30-30 to 38-55
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:13:20 AM »
Willy, 30WCF and 38-55WCF are related. Started out using the 38-55 case to make the 30-30. a barrel exchange and proper head spacing should be all that's neccessary as long as the dovetails for the sights and magazine hangers are already there..........Buck 8) ::) ;D :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 11:29:35 AM »
Should be all that is needed Call them and ask them or just take a few dummy 38-55 rounds and put them in the mag and cycle.  If they go in the 30-30 barel ru\ight up to the bottleneck like I 'spesct they will then you know.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:51:47 PM »

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 07:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I recieved a private message from a pard that ordered this barrel back in June and has not seen it yet, so it might be a spell before I will be seein one.  Really looking forward to it.
Willie
God Bless America

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 01:36:56 PM »
Page 26 November Issue of the Cowboy Chronicle Numrich add states:

"Winchester 1894 .38-55 Long Range Cowboy Action Barrel.
Non-Tapered Octagon, blued steel, 26 inches long w/6 groove button rifling-----------
------Note: 94 Angle Eject models will reqire an additional extractor / ejector cut.
Item#ZE882400 $114.95"
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 10:31:59 AM »
I've been wondering about thhis. thanks for the information, MF.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 06:29:41 PM »
This is a conversion that I am also planning on doing.

The barrels in question were not available until this November according to the website for Numrich.

From the discussions I have had with other shooteras and gunsmiths here in New Zealand they see this as a relatively easy conversion. My major problem is that my 94 is an angle eject and therefore needs another groove cut for the extractor. Headspacing isnt seen as a problem because as far as we can determine the case for the 30-30 and the 38-55 are dimensionally identical at that end of the chamber.

I have found that a front cap from Uberti rifles will fit the 26" barrel as will the forward magazine support. Hope this helps. I have a friend here who makes very nice stocks and he is going to build me a new set. I plan on using a shotgun style butt plate as I am old and these give me less trouble when firing.

What I am looking for now is a source for a set trigger for this rifle. I plan on using this rifle in the Long Range Lever Action side events here and the occasional hunting trip into the bush after deer, and feel that if I am going to all this trouble then I at least owe it to the rifle to get it a decent trigger. So if you or anyone out there knows where I may obtain this from and fitting instructions for such I would be most grateful.

The other major purchase for me is going to be the rear sight as I plan on using a tang mounted mid range peep sight. Havent thought about the front sight yet but will get round to it soon.

The barrel from Numrich comes already blued. This i plan on changing as I have a real passion for the old english browning I saw on a number of origonal firearms I saw whilst living in the UK. I know this isnt correct but it is personal preference as this will be my first custom rifle.

Taken a while to work out exactly what I need and do not need and still come up with new ideas. Keep me informed as to your progress if you go ahead with the project as I would be very interested in how it progresses for you. Also would be interested in results from firing once it is built.

Anyone out there with data on loading this fine old round for this rifle I would be very pleased for your input. i have been told that a 265 gn head works well in the lever action. Yet to find out myself.

Having trained as an engineering designer I wont be going ahead with the conversion until I have all the parts adn services ready. I estimate, finances allowing , that I will be finished by February next year in time for our EOT here at Carterton in New Zealand.

Sorry to go on but this has turned into a bit of a passion for me.

Dai.S.Loe
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 07:29:17 PM »
Thank you for the response.  You have oviously planned this out well.  My old '94 is top eject, so I dodged that bullet.  I have a tang sight for it, but it is a Lyman and I want a Marbles which has a windage adjustment.

I have dies, and 'makins' for the 38-55.  I loaded up a bunch of Black Powder bullets for a friend.  He has a Marlin 1895.  I have one also, but it is in 45-70.  I too want to shoot long range and I believe the 38-55 is not as attention getting as the 45-70.  I could not bring myself to put a recoil pad on a classy rifle like the 1895 Marlin.

I will keep you advised of my progress.  I will see if I can get any information on an adjustable trigger for your '94.

Be well pard.

Willie
God Bless America

Offline McLintock

• Citizen
  • Winter Range - 2004
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 11:42:59 AM »
It's a very doable thing, and I've done it but in a roundabout way.  I started with a Winchester 94 Oliver F. Winchester Commemerative that didn't shoot good.  I bought an octogon barrel from Brownell's, had a 'smith turn the threads and I chambered it with a reamer from Brownell's and cut the dovetails for the barrel bands and sights.  Still shot funky so I sold the receiver and found a pre 64 receiver from a 30-30 and put it together with the above barrel and commemerative wood for a complete rifle.  It's starting to shoot good and looks very good with black powder.  I had to lengthen the cartridge guides and getting out the right hand side one is a bear; the left side one is accessible through the loading gate.  I had to make a right angle screw driver to get in and loosen the screw holding the guide, but once out, the guides were easy to lengthen.  Currently shooting a Lyman 265 gr gas check bullet, with the gas check for a wad, and 42 gr of Swiss 1.5 in it and it's doing good.  Just got a new mold from Mountain Molds that I designed on their computer program; it's a 250 gr, two lube groove bullet with wide shallow grooves.  Hoping to get some 3F Swiss to use with this bullet.  Shooting this bullet with 44 and 48 grs of 1.5, a .030 wad and differing compression, it did OK but not as good as the Lyman bullet so far.  It doesn't seem to shoot smokeless as well as my Winchester 94 38-55 made in 1896, but still working on it.  Hope this helps, good luck.
McLintock

McLintock
User of Old Model Rugers and Single Shot Rifles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com