Author Topic: How good / bad is the current Chiappa 1886  (Read 16758 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: How good / bad is the current Chiappa 1886
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Is the barrel a metric diameter?  Should be .460

Metric Diameter??
Hmmm  I slugged it when I got it - lost the slug and forgot the measurements  ;D- but pretty near identical to my Uberti 45/75 (that was the whole point of that excercise anyway - did I need to look at different boolits = NO)
Have only fired about 40 so far - using a 335grain which I make in an altered version of the LEE 459-405-HB - it drops around 461 and I shoot it as cast - 65 grains of BP and a 45 thou HDPE wad - (fireform load with new starline brass)
Quite happy with how it shoots - have squeezed it down to 2inches at 100yards a couple of times with a tang sight on.
Next time (reloads) will try a duplex load with 5 grains 4227 on the primer - little bit more sting and will help with fouling till I get it run in better . 

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:39 AM »
had another session today with the Marbles peep sight  - didnt do so good (nothing new about that I am kinda haphazard these days ) shot 18 rounds blackpowder today without a clean during the string (gave it a break time to cool a couple times) - two separate brackets of five that went about 2 inch vertical but spread sideways proly 8 inches, the last 8 I shot with the barrel sights went into 4 inches just below centre and no fliers so am pleased with my fouling control - that completes the first 50 shots with this new gun. It cleaned up easy with no sign of leading - when I got back  the marbles sight appeared some loose on the base so I pulled it off.
The Chiappa functioned well - no hiccups or glitches - this barrel collects a bit more crud than my Uberti 76 but that one is mirror smooth and has a few hundred down it too.     

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 12:17:37 AM »
1886 Chiappa

Load testing
Duplex loads
6 grains 4227 under 55 grains black + HDPE wad + 405 Grain LEE = 1362 FPS - with 7 FPS Spread
6 grains 4227 under 63 grains black + HDPE wad + 335 grain LEE = 1550 FPS - with 6 FPS spread

The 335 grain is giving really good expansion into soft dirt at 100yards so proly stick with that one if they both shoot similar - should make a really good hog load if one comes in my backyard - just needs some more serious paper killin first to figure things out.  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:11:17 AM »

Offline GSP7

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »

(will take a couple weeks to get a permit to purchase)

???  a permit ? what ? does it have a bayonet lug and full auto ?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »

???  a permit ? what ? does it have a bayonet lug and full auto ?
m
livin in the land of Aus ....
open carry an old timer pocket knife in the grocery store can get ya arrested

kids have to dress up like lance armstrong to ride their bike in the park (or pay $350fine)

A bloke got charged (and fined) a few weeks back for using his mobile phone while he rode his HORSE at a walk down a dirt road near his farm

several ladies got booked for unsecured load outside the local supermarket a while back - they put the grocery bags on the back seat of their car and didnt rope em down

so anything that discharges a projectile (including a BBgun) requires a "permit to acquire" - takes 2 to 4 weeks - costs 30bucks ---tis what it is - you guys elect the Demorats and you will get to know a lot of this stuff first hand!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com