Author Topic: New open top  (Read 1463 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
New open top
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:25 AM »
Recently I traded a Charter Arms bulldog for a 72 open top, I do love this pistol! I noticed that it's a pain to cock as the hammer is too high for my taste. I sorta took Coffinmaker's advice and checked the arbor fit. It is 2.60mm off from the arbor length and the hole on the barrel. I do have the tutorial on how to fix it, scared to do it. but for the heck of it i checked the arbor fit on my pietta 51 navy and thats spot on! Uberti could learn something from Pietta. i also took noticed to the fitting on the cylinder, i have no idea if every open top is like that or if its something Uberti has done recently. Here's some images of my open top and my "observation"

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: New open top
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
Nice looking Open Top .  I have one in .44 Colt modern ,     love the feel and balance of the gun just have a hard time seeing the rear sight . The hammer  V  notch on my cap -n - ball revolvers works better for my eyes. Again great looking pistol you have there , hope it shoots as good as it looks .,,,,DT

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
NativeShootist .....

Here be a suggestion.  Cheap .... Quick .... Easy .... reversible ..... (or lose able).  Trot down to your local Lowes in the fasteners section.  Then pick up a small package of #10 Stainless Split Washers.  First clean all the gunk out of the bore in the barrel then drop a Split Washer in there and kinda center it.  Squash the frame back on and check the frame and barrel mate at the locator pins.  Then re-fit the wedge.  Just remember the washer is in there when you clean the gun.  Keep the rest of the bag of washers should you drop one inna weeds.

PS:  Nope.  Not new.  The Uberti built 71/72 Open Top has always been that way and they are ALL like that.  In fact ..... ALL Uberti built open top design guns are like that.  1851s, 61s, 60s, doesn't matter.  The Barrel to Arbor fit ..... Sux.  When I were actively Gun Plumbin,  that barrel to arbor fit suet keep me in loose change real regular like.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:32:55 PM »

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
thanks for the advice Coffinmaker!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com