Author Topic: R.I.P. Rush Limbaugh  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
R.I.P. Rush Limbaugh
« on: February 17, 2021, 02:53:26 PM »
Sad News. Rush passed away this morning. I'm sure many of us here loved and respected him. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, he leaves a huge legacy and will be blessed by millions. We will never see his equal again.

Reverend Chase

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: R.I.P. Rush Limbaugh
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
I totally agree! Thanks Rev.!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »

Yet, there are those other millions whom will laud the end of his bigoted, sexist, homophobic tirades.  RIP.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:22:46 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:36:55 PM »
He played to his audience, but his audience proved fickle. RIP

(In his early days I ate him up. But I grew. He didn't.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
I myself was astounded by his hypocrisies

He ranted at length against drug addicts and made a huge stink about how addicts were responsible for their own problems.

And yet he was taking more illegally obtained hydrocodone in one day than most pain management patients are allowed to have in a month.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 12:17:58 PM »
I expected more class from the members here. Guess you aren't any better than Rush was. Or any of the rest of us.

Dave

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »
Astounding .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
I discovered Rush in 1990 as a college student riding the shuttle bus, because the bus driver was listening to him on the radio.  This was already a very left-leaning "progressive" university.  Nowadays, some student would probably complain.  Anyway, I had begun to feel increasingly alienated from popular culture and very much alone in my social and political opinions.  Hearing this guy on the radio articulating what I instinctively knew but could not put into so many words, and discovering that I was among many millions of Americans who felt the same way was a tremendous morale boost for me. 

Rush was a bombastic, self-promoting entertainer whose braggadocio felt a bit "cringy" to me, even way back when.  Conservatives, I thought, were supposed to be humble, reserved, and more cerebral.  But without his populist style, conservative talk radio would not have achieved what it did.  His book title, "The Way Things Ought to Be" might be a fair way to describe what he knew to be true, even as he struggled with his own contradictions in his personal life.  It is much easier for a public figure to endure unfair smears and misrepresentations than the humiliation that accompanies public revelations of one's own hypocrisies.  Some might say that an honest man would have retreated from public life; for others, Rush would have been a lesser man if he'd let the embarrassment silence him and just wilted away.

I don't know if he ever addressed these failings satisfactorily to his listeners.  My own listening declined over the last few years.  But I, for one, am glad that he continued his work, and I was proud for him when he received his medal at the State of the Union address.  On balance, Rush was a great man whom I will greatly miss.  RIP Rush.   

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:54:48 PM »
      OD,
I think you did an excellent job of expressing how most of us felt when we found his show. I listened to him from the early 90's!!
 I also aggree that when you "mess up" you announce it and "own" it  .  .  .  he did and he did and he overcame it!!  (Certain millions would laud that, had Rush been one of them)   of course, it was prescription and was introduced by his Dr. and likewise, we've heard in the last couple of years how big of a problem that is .  .  .  over prescribed opiates .  .  .   still, arrows are going to be slung .  .  . 
   He pretty much built an industry and saved a dying radio band  and ultimately it bled over to F.M.   Employed many folks and kept many others employed, was very charitable , loved his country (to the point of bigotry, which is fine),  loved the Constitution  and the history of how it came to be .  .  .   

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
Limbaugh said openly what many of us really thought and felt but were to chicken to admit.

I felt the same way about G. Gordon Liddy, the Watergate operative. The "G" man was a larger than life character right out of the movies.

Guys who will lay it on the line and take it on the chin are rare in any era.

We need them if just to make the establishment nervous and rattle our complacency with the status quo.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »
I used to like Limbaugh.
I used to like Bill Cosby, too.
I used to listen toLimbaugh, until I found his rants to be all opinion with no factual basis.

I am all about Facts.

Limbaugh used his radio pulpit to rant against others, such as Michael J Fox, accusing Fox of faking his disease.

He was no Gentleman.

He used the classic method "I am just asking a question" to put forth popular consipracy theories with no facts to back them.
That is the tactic of Yellow Journalists and Rabble Rousers - both Left and Right.

I also aggree that when you "mess up" you announce it and "own" it  .  .  .  he did and he did and he overcame it!!  (Certain millions would laud that, had Rush been one of them)   of course, it was prescription and was introduced by his Dr. and likewise, we've heard in the last couple of years how big of a problem that is .  .  .  over prescribed opiates .  .  .   still, arrows are going to be slung .  .  . 

Limbaugh did "fess up and own it", but I believe it was only to put his spin on what was already a public scandal.

The painkillers were introduced by his MD, but Limbaugh was not "overprescribed". The Fla DA had evidence that he was illegally "doctor shopping", getting multiple prescriptions for multiple sources (as many as 6 doctors were found) - this was before the far better tracking of opiate Rx's was in place.

He was also had several offshore Rx's confiscated at airports and was fined.

Instead of "going to jail and serving time" as Limbaugh demanded all addicts should endure, he was allowed a
sweet plea bargain and suspended sentence, and a stint in a luxury "rehab facility".

I won't even start on how many marriages the man went through.

I am all about facts and truth and fair justice.

Limbaugh's case was no different than that of a Preacher condemning out-of-wedlock sex from the pulpit,
then getting caught visiting the local brothel on a regular basis.

I do not believe in making a person into a lauded Saint at the time of their death.

I beleive a man is the sum of all his actions and words, and should be remembered in that way,
both the good and the bad

For the record, I also rant about the Clintons and Whitewater, Hilary and the botched African embassy attacks,
Kennedy  and Chappaquiddick .... and more.

I joke about Bush declaring "The war is Won from the deck of an aircraft carrier" (but thank gawd a Bush was in power on 9/11 )
and complain about  Reagan emptying the mental hopsitals onto the streets ( but Reagan,  with Lec V. and the then Pope,  they Brought Down The Berlin Wall! )

and don't get me started on Saint Steve Jobs of Apple Computer - he got everybody else to do his work, and was
a great con man and snake oil salesman ( what others call "visionary" ) adn now all apple crap is made in Red China.

We are all humans with human failings , myself included.
But the sum of it all needs to be remembered

I sometimes pray ,
"please help me to be at least HALF as good the person my cats think I am."

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:17 PM »
I have bad news about the cats . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »
PM, I get it and (mostly) agree,  I just thought this was to be a benign,  respectful,  "good bye" to Rush   .  .  .    The Rev. posted a short blurb and I "simply" agreeed .  .  .   rather than getting long winded and "upsetting" the other half of the country .  .  .  but that's nearly impossible I guess, one starts it and the piling on begins regardless of feelings displayed (something the other side claims to know about). So, as far as I'm concerned, no harm no foul, I've learned a LOT over the last 4 yrs  .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
I've often wondered about some of the eulogies I've heard, unable to acquaint them with the deceased.

However, slagging a dead man is despicable.

King Duncan in "Macbeth" had the best eulogy for the Thane that betrayed him after the man jumped to his death rather than be pushed:

"Nothing became his life so much as the leaving of it."

Redemption is sometimes found in our passing.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »

RIP RUSH :(
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 11:03:29 AM »
I expected more class from the members here. Guess you aren't any better than Rush was. Or any of the rest of us.

Dave

Well said.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com