Author Topic: 2024 convention  (Read 2913 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
2024 convention
« on: July 05, 2023, 03:09:05 PM »
The 2024 National Congress of Old West Shootist's convention will be held March 22-24, back in Davenport Iowa
at the Double Tree by Hilton, formerly the Radisson where we held it 2017 -2019. The website is now up with some
information on it, with more to follow. We do not have a posse putting this on, just a few members wanting to see
this event continue and thrive. We need some people to help out by doing seminars, I would like to see them varied
and interesting to the public also, as we had good walk-in attendance here in the previous 4 years we held it here.
The website is www.ncowsconvention.com    Together lets continue to make this event special!!!!

Thanks John Hoker Marshal
Born 110 years too late

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: 2024 convention
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:12:18 AM »
Outstanding. As for seminars, I am new so haven't been to your convention, and I don't know if it would be of any interest, and I am a very new member, so no hurt feelings if you are not interested, but I am a long time Railroader, and like the history of our industry and the role it played in opening the West. I frequently speak at conferences mostly related to technology, safety, and regulatory compliance, however I would love to put together something on the history of the railroads if that would be of any interest. I tried to PM, but can't maybe because I am such a new member, if you are interested try sending me one and I'll give you my personal email and we can discuss.

Travis Herod
Iron City Sage
Alabama Bushwhackers

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 01:04:47 PM »
That sounds good if you can do the railroad history of our time period. I think it would
also be of interest to our walk in public.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:03:15 AM »

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 01:41:46 PM »
yes sir, for the time period. There are a lot of directions we can go with it, depending on the particular interest and time alloted. There is a lot of personality history, technology history, sociological history, etc that we can go into, between the 1840's and 1900.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 03:28:36 PM »
I would like to see a seminar on the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, possibly titled " Hell on Wheels, History or Entertainment?"

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 03:38:48 PM »
 Lots to explore there, for sure.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 12:10:20 PM »
i've been getting a few things lined up, a band for the banquet, cac-can girls for the hospitality room,
a possible tour of Rock Island Auction on Friday morning. We have a group of 6 ladies doing the ladies tea.
I would like to have 6 good seminars, this is our organization and our convention, so if you can, please help
out a little. Thanks

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 03:33:52 PM »
i've been getting a few things lined up, . . . cac-can girls for the hospitality room . . .

BTB

Best line up some Can-Can Boys, too. Let's not forget our many members "of the fairer sex".
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 08:29:35 AM »
A while back I started a thread on the NCOWS only page asking for suggestions for seminars.  My thought was; let's hear what members would like to learn about.  I didn't get much feedback.

There was a request for an explanation of the "Originals" class since we haven't done that for a while.  I can do that if there is truly any interest.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2023, 07:14:04 PM »
Dart might want to do his Paper Cartridge seminar again, since there will likely be a new audience.  If Jean Warren is healthy, her fabric seminars are/were awesome.   
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline bushwhacker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 11:39:40 AM »
 I am hoping to make it next year. I would love to see the railroad, the originals, and Jean Warren if she is able. I think Dart’s would go over well since most of the people in Iowa have not seen that one. Looking forward to it if my back and leg holds out.
Bushwhacker

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »
Books, maybe Trap and myself would help on that, probably on Friday, as the public walk-ins
would probably not be as interested as some others that we will have on Sat. Thanks for the ideas
everyone

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Lite Colonel

• NCOWS - SMVS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lite Colonel
  • SASS #: 89021
  • NCOWS #: 3464
  • GAF #: 896
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 10:30:25 AM »
I would be happy to do another seminar on making paper cartridges.
Go ARMY!  32 years of service.
Retired LTC
Aim Small, Miss Small.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 09:08:34 AM »
Dart, you are on the schedule, go to the website all the seminars are listed

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 12:42:29 PM »
John when you start putting the Convention packets together I'd like to send NCOWS stickers from the Mercantile to be included in each packet. Keep me posted.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 03:12:04 PM »
Dates on the Convention website are wrong - listed as march 22, 23, 25. Should be 22, 23, 24.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 06:12:44 PM »
Dates on the Convention website are wrong - listed as march 22, 23, 25. Should be 22, 23, 24.
The dates have been corrected on the website. Many thanks for catching the error.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »
Just over a month out, we are looking forward to the convention! (Which reminds me I still need to register…..)

Have not been to the Davenport area-we will most likely be in our motorhome since we are making a great circle trip, to IN to see some family, then Iowa for this, then leaving early Sunday down to KC for a Sunday afternoon committee meeting at a week long convention I’m attending there.

I have a res for the hotel, but any word on local campgrounds in the area? If we do stay off site. Is Davenport a large enough city to have Uber or Lyft availability? Would rather not drag the jeep or motorcycles in this trip but we can if we need to. I will call the hotel also, to see about parking for the rig there, we can either be self sufficient or just park it and stay in a room, haven’t decided yet.

As I finish up my little hour segment  on how railroads opened the west (for both good, and bad) thought I would ask about any special topics of interest? Trying to keep yo the theme, plan to speak on pre-war rail, brief period of the war years, then the explosion of railroads between 1870 and 1899, that completely changed the people, land, and flora/fauna of the American West.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 05:40:41 PM »
yes sir, for the time period. There are a lot of directions we can go with it, depending on the particular interest and time alloted. There is a lot of personality history, technology history, sociological history, etc that we can go into, between the 1840's and 1900.

The war between the two railroads in the southwest, one faction led by Bat Masterson.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 10:21:13 AM »
ICS: I have stayed in the Interstate RV Park & Campground.  It is a nice enough place.  I have never stayed this early in the year though.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com