Author Topic: Replacing the block in an H&R officers model with an original Springfield  (Read 755 times)

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I have an H&R officers model that I am going to condone work on.  I am thinking about replacing the block with an original Springfield to get rid of the sometimes problematic locking system used by H&R.  Can anyone that has done this tell me what needs to be done to make this conversion and if there is a specific year/model of Springfield block that needs to be used?  I am a smith and machinist, so modifications are not an issue, I just would like to get a preview of what is involved. 

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The problem can exist in the cam - not necessarily the bolt proper.

H&R used a lot of new-condition original parts in the earliest commemoratives - the only thing they didn't was the receiver and tang - 'that' they cast as a one-piece unit.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The bolt is also different.  H&R simplified the original design, making it necessary to use a latch with a removable cam lug, which is the root of the problem for some of the H&R guns. I have read on other forums that people have replaced the H&R block with either an original or Pedersoli block in order to use the original style latch.  This seems like a good idea.  There is some discussion of the need for machining, but no details on needs to be done.  Hence my enquiry. 

Advertising

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Many have not, many have. In any case, I am working on my gun, not yours. 

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
 No worries.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
The problem with the cam on those is that people don't understand how to close the bolt. If the bolt is closed by pressing on the lever it WILL strip both of the set screws for the cam. If the bolt is closed by pressing on the bolt it will work properly for years with no problem.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com