Author Topic: New Vaquero cylinders  (Read 898 times)

Offline Doc Holloman

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110783
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Vaquero cylinders
« on: July 12, 2022, 07:20:34 PM »
Question on cylinder markngs.  Is the small number on the face of a New Vaquero cylinder supposed to match the last digit of the serial number?  N recently purchased 3 New Vaqueros in .357 from an estate.  One has been problematic from the start.  The cylinder is stiff and locks up periodically.  I'm wondering if the cylinders for the 3 guns have been mixed up?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: New Vaquero cylinders
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 04:00:10 PM »
Mark them so you know which guns they came from, then try swapping them around for compatability.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 06:29:59 PM »
The last three digits of the serial number are SCRATCHED very lightly on the front of the cylinder.  They are hard to see when the cylinder is new let alone after they have some carbon buildup on them.  I finally stamped the numbers so I can see them.  Cylinders are not interchangeable and will often bind if installed in the wrong gun.  On this photo you can just see part of the scratched number 6.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:22:44 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »
YES, YOU ARE CORRECT!
THEY DO BIND WHEN INSTALLED IN THE WRONG REVOLVER!

We have "more than one" Blackhawk and Vaquero here.
I have marked each cylinder on the aft face with the last two digits of the serial no.
They are much easier to see there than the forward face that gets all carboned up.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com