Author Topic: Big Bowie  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Big Bowie
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:18:12 PM »
I bought this knife at a gunshow 20 years ago.  It is from Pakistan and cost me $13.  Blade is 10" .  Came with a cheapo sheath, of course.  The bone handle was very pink, but soaking in vinegar helped fade it.  Most of the Pakistani knives look more or less modern/fantasy stuff, but this one had the look.  Some years later I was in Mike Harvey's office at Cimarron and noticed a cased antique knife EXACTLY like this!  Except it had ivory handle scales and of course wasn't stainless  :) .  I am not a leather worker but had intended to make a sheath for this for a long time, but I finally handed the knife to my friend Drew from Lone Star Leather to make me a sheath so I can start wearing it.  He also was able to polish off the markings from the blade which definitely helps the look.  The cheap blade isn't for using, it's for looking good.  :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Big Bowie
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:01:54 AM »
nice job on the scabbard, Atlanta Cutlery use to offer that or a similar knife 'course'  no were near a $13, good deal  ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
Some Pakistani knives have improved over the years. About a year ago I saw one I really liked and bought it. I have made a few knives in the past from blank billets so when I saw this knife I didn't care for the hand guard so I reground it to my liking. I don't care for the two fancy handle scale pins either but there is nothing I can do about them. I also made the scabbard as the one that came with the knife was not to my liking. I don't know the Rockwell hardness of this knife either but it is quite sharp for a big Bowie. I love the feathered Damascus pattern of the blade.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:57 PM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:55:29 PM »
I don't know the Rockwell hardness of this knife either but it is quite sharp for a big Bowie. I love the feathered Damascus pattern of the blade.

The pattern is quite stunning! and with "damascus" or pattern-weld, the RC hardness can vary depending which layer is measured.....
and what different kinds of steel are used....

beautiful knife!

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 11:14:08 AM »
Both of those knives look darn good to me.  I do think feather Damascus is my favorite pattern - I've not got the nerve to try it.... yet.  Maybe someday.  Ya'll both did good.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »
They look nice for sure.  I am having a Bowie and sheath made by a vendor who is on "Traditional Muzzle Loading Forum" it will have about an 8" blade and I think it will be great.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 08:03:35 PM »
About 35 years ago I wanted a custom Bowie but couldn't afford one so I decided to make one. It took a few years and my first knife was made of mild steel. After reading up on knife making and a little metallurgy and about three or four knives under my belt I made three that I still have that will eventually be passed on to my grandchildren. The first photo is one I made of 01 tool steel. The second photo is one I made of ATS34 stainless. The second one of ATS34 is a really big Bowie.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 11:35:58 AM »
Having no need for a big knife, I still picked up this inexpensive coffin handled Bowie on Ebay. It came with a traditional but poorly constructed sheath and a crappy laminated wood handle. But the heavy, highly polished ss blade looked pretty good. I pinned some elk scales on it and constructed a parfleche sheath that I like the look of better. So far it's only purpose has been the collect dust on my bookshelf, but there is a guy on youtube chopping through an oak branch with this knife. He rated a 9 0ut of 10.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 11:37:35 AM »
Book shelf queen Bowie.    Jw
Jack Wagon