Author Topic: Shooting a .41 rimfire Remington double derringer  (Read 3298 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Shooting a .41 rimfire Remington double derringer
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:53:15 AM »
I imagine very few, if any people today have seen an original Remington double derringer shooting original style black powder .41 rimfire shorts. Mine are original style copper rimfire cases that have been reprimed, then loaded with 12.0gr of 3F and an original style bullet. Contrary to what you may read on the internet, it is a formidable cartridge at card table range on a soft target. Check it out  ;D

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Shooting a .41 rimfire Remington double derringer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
Cool!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
Curious to know how the cases were re-primed. I, too, would advise to stick with BP. The Navy Arms ammo put out a few years ago were, IMO (after chronographing against some earlier Remington ammo), too hot for use in the Rem O/U Double-Dee's! If the gun used in the demonstration had a "reinforced" hinge, it is a late Fourth Model.  One must carefully check the hinges for cracks, especially on the left hinge, where it is counterbored for the screw head. The "reinforced" hinges are simply NOT undercut. These are the so-called "monobloc" hinges.  The cracks are almost always the result of flipping the barrels back hard when opening them. See "Dr. William H. Elliot's Remington Double Deringer" by Drummond, Johnson, Williams & Barnard. Be interesting to know the stamping on the top of the barrels.  Probably "REMINGTON ARMS - U.M.C.CO.ILION,N.Y."
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:19:52 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »
I agree with staying with black powder. This is not a monoblock, but does have the stronger hinge. There is ongoing debate on model and variation definitions. But I believe this is a 4th model, 2nd variation. But regardless of what collectors may call it, its a late production and a lot of fun to shoot. No cracks in the hinge.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »
ndnchf,

Love all the stuff you do.  Thank you for posting your adventures and keep them coming.

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »
ndnchf,

Love all the stuff you do.  Thank you for posting your adventures and keep them coming.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the kind words.
Steve

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
Fun video, how does the Remington compare to shooting the Colt?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
They are both a handful. But the Remington's extra weight makes it a little easier to handle.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 09:46:03 PM »
Interesting gun. I presume it was refinished with a nickel plating.  Does the serial number start with an "L" prefix, and numbers in the 9X,XXX ?  Also, there should be some letters on the side of the locking lug, which would tell the month and year of manufacture. What I have never quite figured out is how one safely packs one of these guns with both barrels loaded. The oscillating firing pin is over the cartridge on one or the other barrels. Half-cock is fine...unless you drop the gun on the hammer spur, in which case the "dog" would probably shear and the gun would fire. Maybe with a piece of leather between the pin and the breech face, that would fall away when the gun is cocked?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 04:35:36 AM »
The date code on the lug indicates May 1931. Yes, it has the L prefix number. Serial is L995XX.  By modern standards, there really is no way to carry safely fully loaded.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 10:27:30 AM »
Just picked up a Remington .41 O/U Derringer with two original rounds.  Well used but functional. Original grips, but one has top 1/4 broken off.  If I keep it, i'll get some re-pop grips and try to find some Navy Arms ammo for it.  I do, however, have a friend I am seeing this week that is interested at $300, but that is not certain.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »
Just picked up a Remington .41 O/U Derringer with two original rounds.  Well used but functional. Original grips, but one has top 1/4 broken off.  If I keep it, i'll get some re-pop grips and try to find some Navy Arms ammo for it.  I do, however, have a friend I am seeing this week that is interested at $300, but that is not certain.

No photos???  ;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 01:13:56 PM »
Yep, later today or tomorrow.  Patience, Grasshopper
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »
Ooops, going back to seller.  It has one side of the hinge cracked through! Maybe its a $50 as a paperweight!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
Dang - that's too bad. But a very common problem too.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 02:54:20 PM »
I Approve.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 04:32:24 PM »
Yancy Derringer would never approve of a Remington;  he only carried Sharps 4 barrel pepper boxes.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 05:27:03 PM »
How about the best of both worlds. A Remington 4-barrel derringer  ;D

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:48:27 PM »
The date code on the lug indicates May 1931. Yes, it has the L prefix number. Serial is L995XX.  By modern standards, there really is no way to carry safely fully loaded.
Is the gun gold plated, or is that just the light?  I have made a piece of leather with a slot that fits over the firing pin and is thick enough that the pin doesn't stick through. When I cock the hammer, I can flick the leather off the pin. 

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:33 PM »
Its nickel plated. Can you share a photo of your leather hammer thong?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com