Author Topic: S&W Taylor New Model 3  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
S&W Taylor New Model 3
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »
Are there any members here who have experience with the Taylor New Model 3? I'd like to get one but haven't seen any reports on these revolvers. I also find it interesting Taylor's are the only company importing/offering this model.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
Re: S&W Taylor New Model 3
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
I bought mine 7 years ago, Taylor's just had received them and one was already sold . so was the other after I hung up  ;D

Only thing I did was to swap out the grips to original S&W , with a minor adjustment to the frame pin.

I shoot 45 Schofield smokeless mostly and on occasion 45 Colt, it shoots very well .

IMHO it is the most attractive of #3's  with the Russian next

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »
Here is a review I wrote for the NCOW's "Shootist"

Uberti #3 Frontier …………………………. Gun Review by Roger Ragland
 I have memory, Oh so long ago when I was in Grade school, I’m thinking 4th Grade.
Sitting in Ms. Martin’s class, I can still see her in my mind’s eye. On one particular day, I had or hadn’t done something, and she called me a NON-Conformist for that infraction.  I’m thinking I was 9 years old, and had no Idea what that $20 word meant … NON-Conformist?  What horrible thing could a non-conformist be?  I had to ask my Mom, and had to work the nerve, less it be something really bad!           Well, after I knew what it was, I decided it wasn’t bad, in fact, “Ol” Lady Martin was pretty astute (another $20 word). I was indeed a non-conformist as she had coined me. Kinda proud, I dance to different drummer.  Leaping forward to Last April 2014 I reached a pivotal point, I was officially at retirement age, and I decided that meant something to commemorate that milestone which brings me to the point of this article.
    Western Action Shooting is for the larger part shot with Single Actions Armies, their replicas of different makes and of course Ruger’s…and to lesser number conversions.                                                                                                                           Even when I was riding the neighborhood range 60+ years ago my pistol of choice was the Hubley Texan 45, this piece was a good-looking stylized version of the 1860 conversions. I’m quite sure the Hubley led me to my passion for the 1860 Army cap & ball and the conversions including the Open Tops. I tried my hand with Ruger’s Vaquero a short while.  But that different drummer beat has me shooting the Colt conversions as my main guns. Oh, I have a Remington conversion and a Colt Single Action Army in 45 … it’s the 1860 Army and conversions that continue to float my boat.                                                                                                                                  Having said all that, I was looking to dance to the next beat, and that came to me as something I did not have, A Top Break #3 frame Frontier.
    Enter UBERTI’s #3 Frontier, this is handsome piece, and one was available. Not only was it in the 6 ½” barrel length I preferred but in 45 Schofield, and at a grab me price dealer cost.  Several stars had aligned and conspired for one to become mine; First, I had a nice little honorarium in part of a retirement bonus, at the right moment. Second an out of battery ASM 38spcl. Richards Army Conversion I had sold, was just returned to me and was snapped up in partial trade by my dealer (all my other Army based Richards, R&M’s and Open Tops are in 44 calibers) and lastly as I mentioned it was available at the right moment. The deal was struck, I traded the 38 Cal. Richards and 4 crisp $100 bills and the New in Box #3 Frontier was mine.                                                                                                                                                    The revolver is well-polished and nicely finished in blue. Rear sights are near identical to the 19th century models. A miniscule button of a V sight, that I find myself right at home with, I’m used to Colt Open Top rear sights. My gun cycles smoothly and locks-up vault like, as does the closure latch.                                                                                                                                                                     The first order of business was to replace the OEM walnut grips.  I purchased a set of Vintage #3 S&W grips and with very minor fitment, I installed them. The shape/feel IMHO is superior to the wood and the checkering keeps the gun secure in my hand. I was impressed, the grips were basically a drop-in. Uberti has the grip frame dead on…personally the feel of the OEM walnut is a bit too round and thick. 
     I decided to take the new #3 at a local gun shop’s indoor range.  The stage was set, the music playing, it was time to dance. I had a couple of Black Hills factory boxes in 45 Schofield with 180 Grain round nose bullets. The only other shooter in the indoor range was just leaving so I had the place to myself. Loading up was as easy as breaking open the revolver and dropping 5 rounds.   
I had purchased a couple of standard torso targets the kind with the oval graduation rings, then ran it out on the electric conveyor cable to 10 yards.  Using a rest, I aimed center mass spot on the X. The revolver cocked smoothly, and I squeezed off my first round, it hit about 1 inch low but centered to point of aim. I noted the trigger wider and pull is some heavier than the conversions I’m used to shooting. My first 5 shots were slow and deliberate aiming at the X, the #3 shot a nice snug little group. I was very pleased as I broke open and eject five empties.  I loaded 5 more rounds and adjusted my aim point a little to address the bullet drop and was rewarded by erasing the center X, both groups a tight 2” inches. With the next loading, I used a modified two hand grip without the padded rest. Cocking with my left thumb and again aiming center mass at the same distance, I pretty much obliterated the orange spot target patch though my group opened a bit, this gun can SHOOT!  For CAS ranges on steel, it should do quite well. I installed another Torso Target and ran it out to the 25-yard maximum for the Oak Ridge Indoor Range. Returning to the bench rest, I put 5 rounds about 3” low (I offer that to the lighter 180 grain pills) but again a nice group. The rear sight is nubbin of a V but the front is a nickel dome and makes a decent sight picture. Pulling the target back to 30 feet (10yds) I shot 5 quick dualist style, the grip design make this feel quite a bit different than the Army conversions, you kind of have re-train the Thumb. It isn’t bad just different, and I suspect a bit slower. By this time, several shooters had come in and it was getting somewhat annoying listening to the autoloaders so I wrapped it up.
Conclusions:
    I enjoyed the accuracy, action and handling of the Uberti New Frontier #3. This gun will be a fun addition to my battery, but I won’t likely swap it for my Conversions all that often for NCOWS Matches. I may use it in two gun Working Cowboy or maybe long-range pistol. Yeah! I see it doing well in long range pistol. The 45 Schofield is sweet round; however, 44 Colt & Russian are in my opinion sweeter. I doubt my #3 will see Black Powder, I read mixed views from others, enough to say I’ll probably skip BP Schofield loading and I think I’ll step up to 230 Grain bullets.
I’d like give a shout out to David Carrico, I contacted him for a holster and he did not disappoint me. I bought one he had one on the shelf. I did a re-dye so it’d have darker hue, but the fit was perfect.
So, if you dance to different drummer, you might consider the S&W Top Break design Uberti made #3 New Frontier.    Adios Major

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:32:40 AM »

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
Thanks for the input Major.  A very interesting article. My son had a Russian. I didn't care for it much.  He eventually traded it in at a shop he was working for.  Do you have any idea why Taylors are the only importer who offer the new model 3?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 01:44:08 AM »
While I'm not privy to the contracts ....I believe Sue & Tammy have exclusivity with Uberti/Beretta with the # 3 Frontier.
I believe Uberti has a similar agreements with Cimarron on a couple their offerings,  Taylors Inc. does not carry.
I don't have a list sorry ....

Of the #3 variations, the Schofield has been the most prolific sold , followed by the 2nd Model Russian,...

The NM  Frontier with Taylor's exclusivity, a distant 3rd, and now the newly introed American may slip to 4th.
Personally , The NM Frontier is the best looking , but that is JMHO  :)

The NM #3,  when I got mine was only offered in 45 Colt ( I shoot 45 Scofield ) I would have preferred 44 Russian, which I've recently been told is now offered. .
However, it is not such a big deal or must have game changer , I load all three calibers .
7 years in,  mine is a keeper  ;)

BTW The 2nd Model Russian is an original and I load BP 44 Russian for it...

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 02:24:52 AM »
I do have an additional thought on the subject  of exclusivity...

Prior to the Taylor's intro of the NM Frontier , Uberti produced the Beretta Laramie and it sold under the Beretta Logo
( course Uberti LLC is a subsidiary of Beretta Inc )

The Laramie was discontinued, and Uberti began to produced the NM Frontier in its stead ....
the main difference is the Hammer
where the Laramie had a transfer bar design , the Uberti had the traditional and correct firing pin...   

I don't recall the distributer(s) of the Laramie, maybe just Beretta USA  Accokeek, Maryland , and how that may have effected the NM Frontiers introduction after the Laramie ceased.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Howdy

The other difference of the Uberti version of the New Model Number Three is the knurled thumb screw on the Top Strap. The originals did not have that.

What Uberti did is use the same barrel assembly they used with their replica of the Russian model when they made their version of the New Model Number Three. The original 3rd Model Russian had a knurled thumb screw on the top strap to make take down easier. The first two models of the Russian revolver did not have that screw.

This is a 2nd Model Russian.

Notice there is a slotted screw in the top strap instead of a knurled thumb screw.

In order to remove the cylinder from a Russian model the screw has to be removed, or at least loosened to remove the retaining piece in the top strap.

The knurled thumb screw in the top strap is unnecessary in a New Model #3 or replica. The NM#3 was a more sophisticated design than the earlier models. All that has to be done to remove the cylinder is to raise the latch and rotate the cylinder counter clockwise while putting a little bit of upward pressure on the cylinder.

Uberti got lazy and used the same barrel assembly for their version of the NM#3 that they used for their version of the Russian model. The other difference is the Uberti version has a windage adjustable rear sight like on the target models but a standard front sight. With the originals if you got a target model you had a windage adjustable rear sight and a raised front sight with a bead on top.

I'm not sure if the Uberti version of the NM#3 is available right now. The Laramie stopped being produced a number of years ago, but Taylors shows their version in their current on line catalog.

I suspect that just like the Uberti version of the Russian and Schofield models, their version of the NM#3 will tend to bind quickly when shot with ammunition loaded with Black Powder, because the bushing pressed onto the front of the cylinder is not as long as the bushing pressed onto the front of the original's cylinders.

This is the bushing pressed onto the front of an original New Model Number Three. Read my comments in the post about the Schofield Model of 2000 if you want to know more about the bushing.

Anyway, in my humble opinion, the New Model Number Three was the best of the large #3 Top Breaks that S&W made. Originally chambered for something like17 different cartridges, although 44 Russian was by far the most popular. A simpler system for removing the cylinder, and they included a rebounding hammer, although I would never trust it and always only load mine with five rounds and put the hammer down on an empty chamber. If you can find one, I heartily recommend it over the Russian model, which is much more awkward to shoot.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »
I have fired the Russian model that my son had.  As I mentioned, I didn't care for it much.  The spur on the trigger guard is useless in my opinion.  I had been on Taylor's list several years ago to be notified when they were back in stock, but they called four weeks before the Christmas holiday and there was no way I could swing a $1200. gun at that time.  I'll keep my eyes out for one at a reasonable price but right now, everything is in short supply.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
Driftwood Johnson wrote ..." Anyway, in my humble opinion, the New Model Number Three was the best of the large #3 Top Breaks that S&W made"
I totally agree

I have developed a feel for my Russian's spur, I use it to handle and overcome the long thumb reach to cock the hammer singlehanded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com