Author Topic: Bit by the Schofield bug again!  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Bit by the Schofield bug again!
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:37:20 PM »
Just ordered an Uberti 7" barreled, Second Model No.3 Schofield, in .45.  I got my first Schofield, a Navy Arms in .44-40 when they first came out about 1995  (that was the topic of my Second article I wrote for the cowboy Chronicle back then).  Through the years, I have had  both ASMs and Ubertis since then. More recently I had a Wells Fargo 5.5", but let it go last year because I wanted a 7 inch. 

Finally pulled the pin and got a 7 inch with cartouches, NIB for $975 including shipping off Gunbroker. I work at a gunshop, so no fees on this end except $37.19 to Commiefornia to register it.  I already have a Prairie Belt and 1881 holster.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Bit by the Schofield bug again!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
I had a “need” for a Schofield and got the Uberti with 7” and cartouche a few years back. Dandy pistol that, that for me, pointed better then a SAA. Only thing I couldn’t get over was when I put it in my proper flap holster the top latch would get tripped. Sold it to a buddy so I can borrow it if need be.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
Picked up a 7" 45 off GB last month.  Navy Arms made in 1997.  Got a thread for it in the Barracks.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:32 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
Thanks Drydock, I'll check it out.  Schofield isn a gun I keep coming back to.  My first was a 1996 Uberti/Navy Arms in .44-40. Then I had an EMF/ASM Schofield in .45 for a couple years.  After that, I had a Wells Fargo 5.5 in .45 that I traded to a friend back about 15 years ago.  Next was a pair of 7" Schofield in .45 back three or four years ago (Which I foolishly let myself be talked out of!) then I got the Wells Fargo back from the friend a couple years ago.  I eventually let is go, though, because I really wanted a 7" again.

I'll pair this 7" with my 1977 vintage Colt SAA 4 3/4", my 1894 Marlin .44-40 Century Limited, and my 1920s vintage 1897.  That will be my "Modern battery."  My old time battery will be my HRA 1860 Henry in .44-40, my pair of 1872 Open Tops (5.5" & 7.5"), and my Lefever 12 Ga. SxS.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:15:15 PM »
Hi

I have long fingers and the Schofield fits my hands better than the SAA.  I'd like to try the 1860 with the idea of getting an open top if it fits, or a Remington, but I think the grips are too close to an SAA.  I've also never handled a Bisley.  that might be fun for a Pancho Villa deal.
Having said that, I bet I end up with a shorter barreled Schofield in .38 Special.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 09:54:48 PM »
My Schofield gets to my dealer on Friday, but because of Commiefornia's draconian laws, I have to wait until 6-25-21 to start my 10 jail.  We can only buy one pistol every 30 days....  I already have a Prairie belt and a correct 1881 half flap holster for it!  I'll pair it with my 1977 vintage Colt SAA .45 with a 4 5/8" barrel.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
My New Uberti Schofield arrived yesterday at the gun shop where I work part time. 
I already have a canvas/leather Model 1876 prairie belt, with a three hook type Eagle belt plate added to it, but I really like the Fairweather Christian belts more.  Today I got ahold of David Carrico and ordered one of his Fairweather Christian belts with an 1874 "US" belt plate and canvas cartridge loops.  I have had his gear before, and really love his work. 

I already have an 1881 holster I used for my 1872 Open Top when I use my Prairie belt.  I much prefer the half flaps to the earlier full flap 1872 holsters.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »
I have a Carrico FWC belt, type "B" with the canvas loops, set up for .50-70.  A truly excellent item.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com